How long did your Dyname 4.0 last?

S13

Mar 1, 2021
NL
So it seems that my Dyname 4.0 is starting to fail. There is a horrible clicking (bearing) noise coming from the upper motor bearing nearest to the small chain cog.
It has done 5500km...

Should be a case of warranty. But still, bit disappointed about this weak spot of the Dyname 4.0 motor.
I would have thought the crank axle bearings would give out first (given the rock strikes on the pedals) but no they are just fine.

So how long did your Dyname 4.0 last?

A06

Mar 9, 2023
Corona, CA
Well until I read this I would have said all is well but I came here searching for possible root caused of a very similar if not identical issue that recently developed with mine. Roughly 8 months old.

cabbynate

Sep 30, 2019
Las Vegas NV
So it seems that my Dyname 4.0 is starting to fail. There is a horrible clicking (bearing) noise coming from the upper motor bearing nearest to the small chain cog.
It has done 5500km...

Should be a case of warranty. But still, bit disappointed about this weak spot of the Dyname 4.0 motor.
I would have thought the crank axle bearings would give out first (given the rock strikes on the pedals) but no they are just fine.

So how long did your Dyname 4.0 last?
Keep us posted on the outcome. Sorry to hear this as I really like the Dyname 4.0

S13

Mar 1, 2021
NL
Well until I read this I would have said all is well but I came here searching for possible root caused of a very similar if not identical issue that recently developed with mine. Roughly 8 months old.
Well, 8 months, i suppose that is almost no mileage at all?

S13

Mar 1, 2021
NL
Keep us posted on the outcome. Sorry to hear this as I really like the Dyname 4.0
Sure, i will.
I cant get to a dealer right now, because im traveling Spain. So i had the choice to either stop biking, or just continue until it catastrophically fails. I choose the latter.
And hey, until now its holding up just fine (~200km later). Just some loud grinding noises and clicking sensation in the pedals. But mostly when pedalling above the 25kph speed limit, and when riding in trail+ setting or lower. Weirdly enough in ludicrous mode its actually sort of ok (it then only sounds like a severe creaking bottom bracket or something).

I still like the Dyname 4.0. Even if i couldnt get this fixed under warranty, i think replacing the bearing is pretty simple and cheap.

A06

Mar 9, 2023
Corona, CA
Well, 8 months, i suppose that is almost no mileage at all?
Average 25 miles per week so roughly 800 so far. I don't know if that's little use, high use or average to be honest, its just what I can manage time wise with job and kids etc.

S13

Mar 1, 2021
NL
Ok update on the failing Dyname 4.0
My bike shop was very nice and understanding about the problem. They would just contact RM, order a new motor and put it in. For the shop it was a clear case, a bearing that was about to go tits up and was already making noise. Thats what warranty is supposed to cover.
So well, it took less than a week, and my motor has been swapped and the bike is ready to ride again!
Even updated the battery and display firmware.
Wohoo! So great service from RM and my local bike shop in Nunspeet (NL).

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles