Levo Gen 2 How is the Brose 2.1 power managed?

Tetley

Sep 9, 2020
Bucks UK
Techie question here - Does anyone know the exact way the power output is managed on the Brose 2.1?
As I understand it, the nominal 250W output, is what the motor can produce continuously, until the battery runs out, but what I'm interested in is the peak power, which would appear to be around 750W. The system monitors motor and battery temperatures, and motor current, so on what basis does the system decide to taper off the peak power? Is it a temperature thing, a timed thing, or is it the battery temporarily drops in available power when hammered, and needs recovery time?
What is a reasonable amount of time to expect to get full power for?

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
There is a electronic controller inside the motor assembly. This will limit the amount of amps/current the motor is trying to pull from the battery. Some motors are greedy. The peak amps will only be allowed for a 'block' of time as the motor accelerates and gets up to nominal amps/wattage. Once the motor is turning the peak amps drop off very quickly (after a second or two) though this is on flat ground. I suppose on steep climbs pedalling cadence is important so the motor is not straining... leading to overheating. Electric motors are designed to have a window of best Efficiency such as rpm. outside this window they can begin overheating. So even on a steep hill the motor controller will still limit peak amps and once moving the motor will settle to a more normal wattage. you would Probably have to find a very very long steep Continuous hill and pedal in the highest gear really slowly or make it overheat as they seem to have wide cadence efficiency, and it's not as if people are hot rodding them by upping the voltage and amps.
there is also a temp sensor inside the motor connected to the controller and it will roll back power if the motor begins to exceed the programmed temperature limit.

Just like with a petrol car... if you accelerate/stop accelerate/stop continuously it will use lots of fuel and produce a lot of waste heat. Once up to speed it becomes more efficient/uses less fuel.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles