How dumb can these "smart chargers" be? I have a 2022 Hydro Smart Charger 42V and I've been having an issue with the "smart" charger.

Apr 4, 2023
United States
How dumb can these "smart chargers" be? I have a 2022 Hydro Smart Charger 42V and I've been having an issue with the "smart" charger.

I called orbea support and got some frustrating answers.

1. I told them that the charger doesn't charge unless I unplug it and plug it back into the wall every time I plug in the bike. They said that's normal... Who in the world unplugs every charger they use when they aren't using it? Lame!

2. I asked them why my charger will charge my battery to 100%, but then drop to 80% while left on the charger. Their answer was basically the same as the last one. Orbea chargers are stupid. They will only charge until the battery hits 100%. Once the battery hits 100% the charger WILL NOT WORK until you unplug it from the wall and plug it back in. So dumb.

My old 2020 Giant Ebike charger is miles better. The orbea chargers don't even have a storage mode

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Sorry but I think the way that charger works is perfectly reasonable and ...................who the heck leaves a charger/any charger plugged in when not in use, its a potential fire hazard.
No doubt you have worked this out but what is happening is a part of the charger circuit is signalled by the battery that it is fully charged and therefore switches off the current to the battery. Part of the charger circuit remain live however if it is still connected to the mains. The charging circuit needs to be reset before it will charge the battery again and that is achieved by re conecting mains to the charger. If you leave it plugged in and connected to the bike that mains circuit also provides a backward drain from the battery.

Apr 4, 2023
United States
Sorry but I think the way that charger works is perfectly reasonable and ...................who the heck leaves a charger/any charger plugged in when not in use, its a potential fire hazard.
No doubt you have worked this out but what is happening is a part of the charger circuit is signalled by the battery that it is fully charged and therefore switches off the current to the battery. Part of the charger circuit remain live however if it is still connected to the mains. The charging circuit needs to be reset before it will charge the battery again and that is achieved by re conecting mains to the charger. If you leave it plugged in and connected to the bike that mains circuit also provides a backward drain from the battery.
Well let me blow your mind! The old 2020 Giant ebike charger can do everything you just said is impossible! Heck most of your house hold chargers can as well! How many times have you had to unplug your phone charger to be able to charge your phone again? How about your laptop? Your TV? Yeah no. Lame excuses for the failures of a product.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
calm down !! I did not say it was impossible.......I said it was reasonable and indeed a good safety measure. TVs Laptops etc are not chargers so not relevant here. Phone chargers are typically 5v...not really in the same league as a 36V bike battery charger is it!!

Apr 4, 2023
United States
calm down !! I did not say it was impossible.......I said it was reasonable and indeed a good safety measure. TVs Laptops etc are not chargers so not relevant here. Phone chargers are typically 5v...not really in the same league as a 36V bike battery charger is it!!
Do you unplug your washing machine, dryer? Or your fridge? I'd say it's relevant.

Orbrea shouldn't be slapping the word "smart" on a charger this stupid.

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal
use a timer to charge your bike... both problems get fixed in one shot and you do not have an ac to dc transformer plugged in 24/7 consuming power and being a potential electrical hazard. There is indeed a difference between something that turns on/off and is ac/ac current vs something that is persistently on and is an ac/dc transformer.

For me, I use an AC 24 hour timer, and I set the time interval that I want my bike to charge at. I have a 2amp orbea charger, so my assumption is 20% per hour... so I set the timer accordingly and walla, my bike is magically charged at 100% and the charger turns off at the appropriate time.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles