How do thieves break through metal roller doors?

Tony4wd

Subscriber
Aug 3, 2022
Australia
After reading about theft being rife in the UK and having a couple of recent local break-ins I'm getting a little paranoid about our bikes. I'm wondering how thieves have broken through metal roller doors in an effort to make mine more secure?

I store our 3 bikes chained together in a brick garage with front and rear roller doors.

TIA
Tony

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
You could additionally concrete a big eye into the floor and chain them all to that. However, if they have the tools, thieves will get through any chains / padlocks pretty quickly.
If you have any windows, cover them from the inside, get decent insurance and maybe get a loud alarm.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
It is possible to raise some roller doors enough to get inside which may allow access to the manual override. If you have a personnel door I would suggest fitting bolts to the bottom of the doors. If not get a very loud alarm, cameras and a big angry dog.

Tony4wd

Subscriber
Aug 3, 2022
Australia
The eye on the floor is something I could easily add. I use a 10mm chain that my old man used to haul logs with behind a bulldozer - probably slow 'em down by 60 seconds :) The neighbors have security cameras facing our property.

I took the pull cord off the manual override. We do have a very loud dog who comes along on rides - if I'm too slow on a hill she runs back down to bark at me:
sojibarking.jpg

Last edited:

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
You could additionally concrete a big eye into the floor and chain them all to that. However, if they have the tools, thieves will get through any chains / padlocks pretty quickly.
If you have any windows, cover them from the inside, get decent insurance and maybe get a loud alarm.

Locking a bicycle with a chain in a holder in the floor is unfortunately no match for a thief to pick up.

a cheap angle grinder take 4 minutes to cut a thic chain.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have up and over garage doors. I bought some simple sliding bolt locks and rivetted two to the bottom of each door. The bolt slides into holes I drilled into the concrete floor. Simple to do and an effective time waster for the thief. First, they have to discover why they can't open the door, then they have to insert a saw between the door and the concrete floor and saw away! Because the bolts are connected to the big panel door it makes a hell of a noise.

You could do something similar by mounting the bolts sideways and drilling into the wooden frame.

The big problem I have of course is that I can only open the doors from the inside. Small price to pay. :)

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
The main ways are breaking in through a door/window/wall, driving a car through them, lifting them up with a stolen telehandler or jcb.

At this point, insurance is your best bet. Also don’t advertise the bikes are there, around here we used to have a big problem with thieves following people home from riding spots. Having the bikes on the roof of the car is like a ‘follow me’ flag, as is the fox/Troy lee/sram/specilized stickers all over the T5.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
I have up and over garage doors. I bought some simple sliding bolt locks and rivetted two to the bottom of each door. The bolt slides into holes I drilled into the concrete floor. Simple to do and an effective time waster for the thief. First, they have to discover why they can't open the door, then they have to insert a saw between the door and the concrete floor and saw away! Because the bolts are connected to the big panel door it makes a hell of a noise.

You could do something similar by mounting the bolts sideways and drilling into the wooden frame.

The big problem I have of course is that I can only open the doors from the inside. Small price to pay. :)
Or just read this 😂

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
After reading about theft being rife in the UK and having a couple of recent local break-ins I'm getting a little paranoid about our bikes. I'm wondering how thieves have broken through metal roller doors in an effort to make mine more secure?

If you bump a door with your truck, the rollers will come out of the tracks, and you can squeeze right in. Maybe you need your mates from the top side to ship you some theft deterrents.

29a1b1b362183830401f52ce6b636fd0.jpg

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Modern roller doors can/should have a security alarm connected. My neighbour has just had a new roller door fitted and the security features are quite impressive.
Another neighbour has just had his 'plastic' garage door compromised by someone with a plumber's blow torch. Police say he was lucky his house wasn't burnt down.

• Wow
Reactions: Dax

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I’ve just replaced my garage door and was considering a roller shutter door. Not a single one was alarmed as standard and I don’t recall it being offered as an option, even on the £4k one…

Landy Andy

Feb 8, 2021
Herts
Some roller doors can just be shoved open if you are strong enough, or have enough people. It just pushes the shutter off the roller.

Tony4wd

Subscriber
Aug 3, 2022
Australia
Maybe you need your mates from the top side to ship you some theft deterrents.
I'm familiar with some of those weapons - my wife is American and her family owns an assortment of guns from automatic tactical rifles down to various handguns. About the only thing legal for self defence in Oz is a fire extinguisher or broomstick - can't even have pepper spray.

I've ordered motorbike anchor point for the floor - at least that should satisfy the insurance company.

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
I’ve just replaced my garage door and was considering a roller shutter door. Not a single one was alarmed as standard and I don’t recall it being offered as an option, even on the £4k one…
UK? I paid £1200 all in for my electric roller with built in alarm. Dean Garage Doors did it for me (Home), free quote at my address, decent brand door with alarm, insulated, color of my choice, removal and disposal of the old door and they were cheaper than anyone else. In fact they were even cheaper than themselves, over the phone they initially quoted more, but after coming to measure up and quote their actual quote was a few hundred cheaper. All I had to do was make sure their was a plug socket near by for it to plug in to.

Last edited:

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales

My neighbour's new roller shutter door is constructed of resin covered metal slats (the resin is pre-coloured so no need to paint). There is a sensor strip running along the bottom of the door which detects any attempt to lift or distort it. The sensor has its own independent alarm.

It is a standard sized, single door on a modern property.

He had it installed earlier this year as a requirement to get insurance cover for his Cube Stereo and assures me that he paid a little over £1800 for it.

I considered one myself but it would not be straightforward to fit on my property so I am still relying on an independent garage alarm, as well as my house alarm, and hope that this will scare off any scrotes without me having to risk a whack over the head with a crowbar when confronting them. My house is also in a statstically low risk crime area which eases the worry slightly. I feel far more vulnerable if ever I ride anywhere alone..

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
My neighbour's new roller shutter door is constructed of resin covered metal slats (the resin is pre-coloured so no need to paint). There is a sensor strip running along the bottom of the door which detects any attempt to lift or distort it. The sensor has its own independent alarm.

It is a standard sized, single door on a modern property.

He had it installed earlier this year as a requirement to get insurance cover for his Cube Stereo and assures me that he paid a little over £1800 for it.

I considered one myself but it would not be straightforward to fit on my property so I am still relying on an independent garage alarm, as well as my house alarm, and hope that this will scare off any scrotes without me having to risk a whack over the head with a crowbar when confronting them. My house is also in a statstically low risk crime area which eases the worry slightly. I feel far more vulnerable if ever I ride anywhere alone..
I was originally quoted about £1600 but after the measure up and quote it came in at just £1200, see my post above for spec, it wasn't a cheapo low spec one.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
a local guy...who you could describe as a "good ol boy" , guards his shed with a trip wire attached via pulleys to a shotgun loaded with a blank cartridge. He reckons an intruder would be rendered deaf and shocked....and he ( the good ol boy) would be alerted by the noise...........he has another shotgun!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
I'm familiar with some of those weapons - my wife is American and her family owns an assortment of guns from automatic tactical rifles down to various handguns. About the only thing legal for self defence in Oz is a fire extinguisher or broomstick - can't even have pepper spray.

I've ordered motorbike anchor point for the floor - at least that should satisfy the insurance company.
The good thing Tony is that your a long way from the UK and their stealing of Ebikes just doesn't seem to such a big problem here in Oz thankfully, anyway fingers crossed for you and the rest of us down under. A little bit of paranoia is good but don't let it get to the point where you are too worried to take your bike out and be seen bringing it home again!

Tony4wd

Subscriber
Aug 3, 2022
Australia
a local guy...who you could describe as a "good ol boy" , guards his shed with a trip wire attached via pulleys to a shotgun loaded with a blank cartridge. He reckons an intruder would be rendered deaf and shocked....and he ( the good ol boy) would be alerted by the noise...........he has another shotgun!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
... gonna be hell to pay if his wife goes looking for something in the shed

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Things bolted to the floor give thieves a nice stable base to work from. I prefer multistrand cables that are mounted off the steel support pillars in my shed. I use a swivelling bar stool, that I have to stand on, to be able to reach the locks and that’s really the only thing tall enough lying around to reach them. I have two cables which are just long enough to reach down into the frames of the bikes, which are stored vertically in steady racks. You can cut the cables but it’s not from a stable surface. By the time you got through both the German Shepherd will be on to you. I also have high def cameras for police/insurance.

I am planning to add a 140dB Piezzo screamer but I’m still working on the most devious way to integrate it into the shed. Once added you’ll be sufferering from reasonably significant hearing loss before you get a bike down of the rack.

Gordon

Tony4wd

Subscriber
Aug 3, 2022
Australia
A little bit of paranoia is good but don't let it get to the point where you are too worried to take your bike out and be seen bringing it home again!
No danger of that - our dog needs a lot of exercise and gets at least one run through a 4wd track each week. She drives us nuts otherwise. This is one of the more difficult tracks I ride on:
Soji.spionkopje.jpg

Last edited:

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK

I store our 3 bikes chained together in a brick garage with front and rear roller doors.

TIA
Tony
It really is very simple, they use an electric angle grinder or electric Stihl saw, or, if they pull it out from the bottom then each section of the shutter door just slides out, how do I know, as a retailer I have seen the result of both of the aforementioned methods.

MountainBoy

Mar 4, 2022
Washington State, USA
Locking a bicycle with a chain in a holder in the floor is unfortunately no match for a thief to pick up.

a cheap angle grinder take 4 minutes to cut a thic chain.

I'm a little surprised by the lax security measures y'all employ.

I used to be really worried about theft, but I finally solved the problem for good. I installed a motorized roof on my shed. When the security alarm detects unauthorized entry, the roof rolls back and two large weather balloons inflate lifting my precious e-MTB safely into the sky. The security alarm sends an alert to my phone so I can track my e-MTB with the GPS tracker built-in to the down tube.

Imagine the look on the thieves faces when they see my precious e-MTB zoom out of reach right in front of their eyes! As they are watching this spectacle with disbelief, two orange paint bombs are activated, coating them in orange paint so they can be quickly identified and apprehended by authorities. ;)

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles