• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered How busted is my casette? SLX m7100

Sjusk

May 30, 2022
Denmark
I have this Shimano SLX m7100 on my Focus Jam e-bike. I have recently experienced skipping in the gears when i put a lot of pressure on the pedals. I have changed the chain. I have allready ordered a new XT M8100 casette.

However i am curious how busted my casette is. A part from the obvious chip on the smallest ring, i have a hard time figureing out how busted it is.

What do you guys think?

20220529_191601.jpg

20220529_191624.jpg

20220529_191636.jpg

20220529_191608.jpg

20220529_191554.jpg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
That looks perfectly fine to me.
No burring on the teeth tips (metal being pushed out of place causing an overhang that can snag the chain during shifts).
No extended tooth roots (indicating wear).
No hollowed-out tooth faces (ie shark fins, indicating wear).

How many miles has that cassette done?

Sjusk

May 30, 2022
Denmark
That looks perfectly fine to me.
No burring on the teeth tips (metal being pushed out of place causing an overhang that can snag the chain during shifts).
No extended tooth roots (indicating wear).
No hollowed-out tooth faces (ie shark fins, indicating wear).

How many miles has that cassette done?
Thanks for the reply! Around 700 miles, but i didn't change chains at all during those miles. I mostly experience skipping on the heavy gears.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
slipping before you changed the chain or after? A new chain on a part worn cassette is more likely to cause slippage. If it was working OK with the old chain put it back on!

Sjusk

May 30, 2022
Denmark
The old chain skipped, put on the new one and rode like.. 500 meters, still skipped too. I'm not gonna ride it untill i get my new cassette on. Don't wanna destroy my new chain

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
I fitted a new slx cassette with a chain that had done about 200km on a worn Deore cassette and the shifting was awful until id done about 10k with it.
Don't know if it was a bedding in thing on mine but the more miles I've done the better its got, now its really good.
p.s your cassette does not look to bad to me

Last edited:

pampmyride

Dec 28, 2020
Sussex Massif
Yep, new chain often grumbles & grinds a bit until it runs in to fit worn sproz. I was getting about 700 miles per chain on the 2000 mile cassette. Ridden in Sussex mud, but proper boil in wax lubing. Used YBN chains ..

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
Looking fine to me from the pics. I normally get the dremmle out and take the burs off but can't see any on yours. Personally I would check the b screw setting as it might be out enough to cause the problems.

Sjusk

May 30, 2022
Denmark
Update: I put on the new cassette and it was still skipping. After pulling my hair out for a second or two, i disassembled it again and found out my wheel hub was really lose.. After tighening it, it worked perfectly. So my old cassette was probably not damaged.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Update: I put on the new cassette and it was still skipping. After pulling my hair out for a second or two, i disassembled it again and found out my wheel hub was really lose.. After tighening it, it worked perfectly. So my old cassette was probably not damaged.
I rest my case!!

Thanks for the follow up. Some people would not find it easy to own up to that. (y)

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
I have this Shimano SLX m7100 on my Focus Jam e-bike. I have recently experienced skipping in the gears when i put a lot of pressure on the pedals. I have changed the chain. I have allready ordered a new XT M8100 casette.

However i am curious how busted my casette is. A part from the obvious chip on the smallest ring, i have a hard time figureing out how busted it is.

What do you guys think?

View attachment 89186

View attachment 89187

View attachment 89188

View attachment 89189

View attachment 89190
High Rock Ruti

Your cassette is trashed, ONE RESPONDER "no burring on the teeth" WTF does that mean?

The profile of the teeth is alongated allowing the chain rollers to skip up and over the top of the cog teeth had the same problem this week new chain made it worse which makes sense the pitch distance on the new chain is shorter/tighter the old chain had stretched to the cassettes alongated profile, they fit until they fail.

Warm Regards Ruti

jonmat

Feb 22, 2020
Sheffield
I changed my chain on a cassette that looked unworn but it skipped on the 11th and 12th sprocket afterwards. I had measured the new chain length based on my worn chain. However it appears I needed to take out a couple of extra links and it was perfect. My son spotted the problem as the angle of the derailleur looked wrong to him when it was in first gear. I took two more links out and problem solved. That may not be your problem, but as I understand it, there is not much chain wrap in the higher gears especially on the eleven or twelve tooth sprocket, which makes them susceptible to skipping. If your chain is too long it reduces the wrap. Hope that helps.

jonmat

Feb 22, 2020
Sheffield
Also forgot to mention that the higher priced cassettes are just lighter weight, more expensive and wear quicker due to the larger sprockets being made of aluminium. I don’t have any evidence to back that up, but someone might.

Rhoody

Apr 28, 2021
Ontario Canada

What do you guys think?

View attachment 89186

View attachment 89187

View attachment 89188

View attachment 89189

View attachment 89190
Hi there ! I have a 2021 levo comp with SLX drivetrain too .I’m no expert but the cassette has specific machining built in to pick up the chain to change gears as you probably know .
With my levo I’m at 1600km and still running fine . BUT !! Ive learned very quickly with all the torque coming outta EBIKE motors the chain has to be kept clean and well lubricated .With my Levo If I don’t clean after the 3rd ride I get that same SKIPPING you may be referring to in the lower to lowest gear . Hope this May help .

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
This well-worn ring set in front of its replacement illustrates the main features. I know that your problems were with the cassette, but this pic is a particularly useful one.

The most obvious feature of the grey ring is the big burrs that have formed. These are caused by the soft material of the ring being pushed out of the way by the harder chain rollers. The next obvious is the hollowing out of the tooth face, causing the classic "shark's fin" appearance. That tooth face material has to go somewhere. Some of it will be particles that are flaked off, but some of it is squeezed aside to form the burrs. Those burrs can eventually snag on the chain, causing shifting problems. As the wear accelerates, the root of the tooth is extended, caused by the tooth face being steadily worn away.

granny1.JPG

When I was new to biking, my chain was misbehaving on the cassette, I used a magnifying glass to examine the cassette and the only thing I could notice was tooth burrs on many of the gears (the ones I was using the most). I removed the cassette and filed off all the burrs. That got me one trouble-free ride before the new cassette arrived.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles