Horror run with 2020 Giant E+1 Pro(s) Speed Sensor cables and Motor

woollettg

Apr 27, 2020
Wellington NZ
I think that Giant have made a mistake in the way they have routed this cable. It goes from the motor around the bottom of the swing-arm (along with the brake hose) and up to a hollow chain-stay tube to the back axle. It's tied with to the rear brake hose so every time the rear suspension gets hit the brake and sensor cable are pulled tight. No slack in the downtube so cables are pulled from the rear breaking most of the frame zipties.
One week into owning it after riding a grade 4 track I get a speed sensor error.
I take it to the LBS expecting them to replace the sensor cable.
Instead they replace the motor, but not the cable. Get the bike back, same error again.
Back to the LBS. This time they replace the sensor. The 2 days later I get a motor error.
LBS can't find the problem so after a conversation with the Giant distributor I receive a brand new bike.
6 Weeks later I now have a broken speed sensor cable on the new bike.
This will be the 4th time back to the shop with this model.
I really am over this and want a refund.
Has anyone else had bad experiences with this bike?
Thanks for reading.

Softsand

Dec 5, 2019
Western Australia
I have the same bike. Reported as a speed sensor issue but like you, they found it was a motor issue. Don’t think it was a wiring issue but I did see that routing which could have been a problem.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
My bike is the Trance e+3Pro - the older 2019 model.

I'm assuming the motor and the wiring routes are the same on both bikes, so I'll share what I noticed on my bike - and what I did to improve/fix what I believed to be an issue. See photo of the underside of the motor (I tipped my bike upside down to get this pic).

Cable Routing.jpg

RED ARROW
While I was washing mud off my bike on one occasion, I noticed that the speed-sensor wire and the brake hose (grouped together) were routed in such a way where they ended up so close to the tyre (only about 4-5mm clearance). So if the side knobs of the tyre hooked a stone or debris, there's a strong likelihood that the cables would get whacked. So I took it upon myself to re-route the cables to where you see them now. I had to cut the original cable ties and install new ones in order to do this properly. I also noticed that the rear brake hose wasn't long enough which was causing an acute kink at the caliper fitting. I had to take the battery off to free-up the rear brake hose (underneath the downtube) so that I could ease more of its length downwards - to add more of it along the rear swingarm to, a) minimise the kink at the caliper, and b) to allow more 'bend' at the red arrow area - so that it would clear the tyre as much as the swingarm was clearing the tyre.

GREEN ARROW
While pleased with my handiwork, I was puzzled because I could not get the cables to go INTO the cut-away (see green arrow) that I assumed the cables were supposed to come out from. Even if I worked them into that spot, as soon as the swingarm moved up and down its travel, the cables would work themselves out of the spot and end up where they are now on that pic. So I removed one of the eyelet bolts on the rear shock so that I can raise and drop the swingarm easily to observe what's going on. I wanted to make sure that there was enough cable slack in that area so that the cables don't end up getting yanked when the swingarm is compressed fully. The original brake hose placement was showing signs that it was getting yanked.

BLUE ARROW
After ensuring that there was adequate cable slack at full swingarm compression, I noticed that the resulting new cable placement caused them to get gnawed repeatedly against the protruding portion of the plastic motor bash guard (see blue arrow) during rear suspension movement. After trying all sorts of re-routing alternatives, I gave up because the cables always reverted to where they are now. So I used a small metal file and sandpaper to round-off and smoothen the square inner edge of the motor bash guard so that it won't eventually cut into the speed-sensor cable - or just as bad, puncture the hydraulic brake cable over time.

Possible CONCLUSIONS:
• a ruptured speed-sensor cable may be the cause of the error you've experienced @woollettg.
• the speed-sensor could be ruptured by, a) getting in the way of the tyre, b) any yanking caused by not having enough slack, or c) gnawing against the sharp edges of the motor bash guard.

So far I've not had any issues since I made my cable adjustments, although I'm still not 100% happy with it. I can't help but think that the factory have been routing the cables incorrectly all along. I'm actually wondering if the speed-sensor cable and the rear brake hose grouping should come out of the cut-out beside the blue arrow. And the derailleur cable which comes out of there, should come out of the opposite cut-out (the green arrow). So these cables would need to cross-over each other in order to have sufficient slack.

Someone in one of the Giant dealerships should really investigate this further, just in case this is the cause of their 'motor problems'...

Last edited:

Cubie

Feb 19, 2020
Fife, Scotland
I owned an E+1 Pro that I bought brand new at Giant Newcastle. After countless faults and horrendous customer service I rejected the bike under my consumer rights and bought a Canyon the next day. Never looked back, Canyon has been faultless and a much better put together bike.

craigc

Jun 13, 2020
Northamptonshire
got the same problem on a 10 day old 2020 Trance Pro 1, speed sensor warning came on 25 minutes into a ride, reset, battery out, same thing within 10 meters.

Sid_79

Jul 14, 2020
Uk
got the same problem on a 10 day old 2020 Trance Pro 1, speed sensor warning came on 25 minutes into a ride, reset, battery out, same thing within 10 meters.
Hi, I came to this forum to try and find some information on the same problem your having! I have a 2020 giant trance E 1 pro,had it about 6weeks with no problems at all and now this!! ..speed sensor error. Do you still have the problem with yours ?? And if so what did you do about it ?

craigc

Jun 13, 2020
Northamptonshire
Hi, I came to this forum to try and find some information on the same problem your having! I have a 2020 giant trance E 1 pro,had it about 6weeks with no problems at all and now this!! ..speed sensor error. Do you still have the problem with yours ?? And if so what did you do about it ?
I found the cable had got crushed under the motor cover, cut and spliced the damaged cable and re routed to one side of the motor , so far so good.

ScuzzII

Mar 23, 2020
Adelaide
Giant Reign Pro E O 1500 km of hard use uphill/ downhill over rocks, through creeks, jumps and rain blasted on an extended car trip. Faultless. I'd buy again. `

kaos15

Oct 18, 2019
australia
I've put over 1500km's on my reign E+1 pro with absolutley no issues come rain, mud, hail and creek crossings and have had no issues. Love the reign.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles