Hope Enduro rim width. Suitable ?.

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
I've recently picked up a rear wheel and im wondering about the internal/external widths.
According to the bumpf the external is 28mm the internal is 23mm.
The tyres im using are 29x2.25"
I'm pretty sure that's fine, but thought i'd double check as the rims currently on it are Syncros MD30, which are 30mm internal, 35mm external. Though I should say the tyres specced originally with the bike were Magic Mary/Hans Dampf 29x2.6", which i obviously don't need so took them off when i bought it*
I doubt I'll ever put on the offroad tyres, though maybe in snow, as im more the urban pedal'r The 2.25" are fine currently for me.

So reckon that's OK ?. I do, because used rims like mavic x517 bitd, and they are 22m external so must be about 18mm internal. I'm sure I used 2.25's on them without issue. But again, always best to get folks thoughts on the matter.

* Originally the shop suggested i get the new tyres, and they retain the Mary's/Dampf's with no extra charge. But considering the off road tyres are about £50 each and the tyres i changed to about £30 each, i politely declined. Bit of a piss take tbh, buying a 5k bike off them and they try to stiff me 40 quid on a pair of tyres :LOL:
I'm sure i'll eventually find a use for them, or maybe in 20 years time will reach the mythical prices achieved by Onza Porcs :LOL:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Yes, it will be fine. This is a useful rim width vs tyre width guide from WTB. Page down past the road bikes to the MTBs.

Tire & Rim Fit Chart

It will show that the 2.25" tyre width (57mm) while not "optimum" for a 23mm internal rim width, it is well inside the "compatible" region. :)

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
Thanks very much for the link Steve. I guess that will be ok
+ Thanks Doom too

I should have added that this is 99% road use, so not squirming about, the tyres fully inflated, and more of less straight line use. I'm guessing the chart under the mtb is not the usage im intending.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles