Hit by car. replacement helmet advice

Lee.j.holland

Jan 29, 2021
Isle of man
Hi all.

Last weekend I was hit by a car trying to overtake and then swerved back in with me alongside him. Police attended and I was taken to hospital for MRI and X-rays and “fortunately” nothing broken, just a whole list of battered body parts and a broken bum cheek! 😂

Long story short I’m putting together my evidence/losses and apart from some scratches to my shiny new Levo comp 😢 I was pretty lucky.

The question being my Poc tectal race helmet hit the road and is scratched up the back. Does anybody have any guidelines as to when/if a helmet should be replaced after a crash. I think the sensible answer is yes but trying to find info on the matter is tough and I know what insurance companies are like!

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Lee

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
its hit the road so likely deformed. I would replace it.

Sounds as if the other person's insurance is paying anyway?

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
Anything that impacted the road needs replacement. This guy smashed you and your gear, so you want it replaced.

Lee.j.holland

Jan 29, 2021
Isle of man
Thanks lads. That’s exactly what I’m saying but wondering if there’s anywhere that I can quote that gives that guidance to help with his insurance company.

Dec 23, 2022
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks lads. That’s exactly what I’m saying but wondering if there’s anywhere that I can quote that gives that guidance to help with his insurance company.
The brand manager for POC will be able to give you a more detailed response in regards to helmet replacement requirements. I would suggest contacting the company that distributes POC in your country.

Dannage

May 28, 2022
UK
I wouldn't even bother with that. It wasn't scratched and now because of their customer it is scratched. Get them to replace anything that was scratched or ripped etc. They might even want to settle it without insurance.

Glad you're ok, and it wasn't a lot worse.

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
I wouldn't even bother with that. It wasn't scratched and now because of their customer it is scratched. Get them to replace anything that was scratched or ripped etc. They might even want to settle it without insurance.

Glad you're ok, and it wasn't a lot worse.
Agree
anything damaged should be replaced or repaired
Why should you have damaged goods including the bike because of someone elses stupidity.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California

Go to any legitimate manufacturer's web page, and somewhere you'll find where it tells you that you must replace a helmet after an impact.

POC is a legit company. They might offer you a "crash replacement" discount on a new helmet.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Don't let the insurance company fob you off with their choice of replacement kit from one of their "approved suppliers". They save money that way, which is a sensible thing to do for generic household goods but not something that is supposed to fit you and have specific characteristics. The same goes for vouchers that are only redeemable from certain places. It has the illusion of choice, but is very restrictive. You may well have to argue over valuation as well. Their Loss Adjuster may not be a biker and have no 'effin' idea about bike valuations.

You and they both are lucky that you were not killed or seriously injured, then they would have a properly serious claim to be considering!

Type1

Sep 6, 2022
Uk
Helmets are designed to deform upon impact to absorb energy. It should be replaced and as has been said, like for like.

Any damage should be covered, ask for everything including a new frame and argue down if needed. Start high, it’ll likely be a negotiation.

Rlucas807

Jan 14, 2023
Michigan
From the POC website regarding replacing helmets:
Helmets are one of the most important pieces of protective equipment in gravity sports. We recommend helmets should be replaced every 1 - 5 years dependent on several factors. First and foremost, if you are involved in a crash that results in abnormalities to your health we strongly suggest replacing your helmet before your next ride or getting back on the ski slopes. If you are concerned with your health, seek medical advice immediately. Second, if you notice imperfections in the shell or foam liner of the helmet such as dents, gouges, or dimples - we recommend replacing your helmet.

Stay Safe … Always replace after a crash!!!!

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
If you were involved in another collision would the condition of the helmet be a factor if you sustained head injuries?

How much of your own time and effort have you devoted towards this incident so far? (Besides damages to your property and injuries to yourself).

Arminius

Subscriber
Jul 26, 2022
Rhein-Ruhr Delta, Germany
Hello,
Good you did not suffer serious injuries.

In Germany it is the rule (not law) to replace motosycle helmets once hit the ground by crash or severe drop to ground. In case of accident insurers pay for it.

Bell states „ BE SAFE - Bell cares about our customer’s safety and wants to remind our riders to never wear a helmet that has been involved in an accident.“

Maybe it helps that a lot of helmet manufacturers offer crash replace,emt, for example:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Hello,
Good you did not suffer serious injuries.

In Germany it is the rule (not law) to replace motosycle helmets once hit the ground by crash or severe drop to ground. In case of accident insurers pay for it.

Bell states „ BE SAFE - Bell cares about our customer’s safety and wants to remind our riders to never wear a helmet that has been involved in an accident.“

Maybe it helps that a lot of helmet manufacturers offer crash replace,emt, for example:
Can confirm. My Bell DH convertible was replaced by my LBS and Bell after the helmet had a serious accident on a trail. Lights out for the rider (me) along with other injuries. Just had to tell them my story and exchange the damaged helmet. F7736EDF-8639-4650-846B-AD44667DF6C6.jpeg
I went back weeks later to piece together the incident. I’ve jumped this creek hundreds of times and continue almost every time I head out. (No pun)
🤞

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
I've been hit on my motorcycle, and the insurance had ZERO reservation about replacing the helmet. It was listed in their initial document without me asking for it. They listed the jacket, gloves, pants, and helmet and just wanted a price for each.

hogicid

Jun 2, 2023
United States
Hi all.

Last weekend I was hit by a car trying to overtake and then swerved back in with me alongside him. Police attended and I was taken to hospital for MRI and X-rays and “fortunately” nothing broken, just a whole list of battered body parts and a broken bum cheek! 😂

Long story short I’m putting together my evidence/losses and apart from some scratches to my shiny new Levo comp 😢 I was pretty lucky.

The question being my Poc tectal race helmet hit the road and is scratched up the back. Does anybody have any guidelines as to when/if a helmet should be replaced after a crash. I think the sensible answer is yes but trying to find info on the matter is tough and I know what insurance companies are like!

Any help greatly appreciated on race car driver helmet.

Cheers

Lee
Can anyone point me to a good racing helmet? I've gone to some web sites and see 10 different brands and styles, but I've never worn one before, and am not sure on which ones are more comfortable, etc... I want one that's going to be rated for up and comming events, but I can't find tech info for the different types.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles