Highest Mileage Steps E8000 Motor

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Looks fairly tame TBF

Yup. The videos were shot in winter when the sand is nicely compacted. As I said, the camera makes everything look flat.

Here's a fairly average run we did together on Tuesday night. We're suffering a drought, so the sand is still fairly soft (please send rain!). Total climb was 476m (1550ft).

The point being to show that this is not a flat, asphalt commute, as was originally commented somewhere above.

CaptureA.JPG

Last edited:

RCDallas

May 28, 2019
Italy
Nope, this was not 10k of "easy commute". This is hilly country with a 200m climb up tracks back into the village from the forest. The forest is on dune sand - so nothing is flat. Take a look at his YouTube channel if you want some idea of his daily exercise. (As ever, the camera makes the 30% gradients look flat. But you get an idea of the type of terrain.)

A battery only last around 25km in the middle of summer when the sand is at its driest. Quite honestly, I'm amazed that the motor has lasted so long - he works his bike hard.

Even better! We are about 60% to that number with my wife's Bosch performance powered eMTB which has done quite a few 1500-3000ft days along with daily commuting.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
1500ft over 30km is pretty flat.
My ROAD commute is hillier
and that's way flatter than pretty much any mtb ride I'd ever want to do

Last edited:

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
1500ft over 30km is pretty flat.
My ROAD commute is hillier
and that's way flatter than pretty much any mtb ride I'd ever want to do

Your roads are soft sand? Wow! Respect! (y)

(BTW, that one was gentle on me 'cos I was on my clockwork bike. Heart rate hit 181 :eek:).

Reactions: eia

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Your roads are soft sand? Wow!
No.. They're mainly worn out rough as fuck half obliterated and unloved UK tarmac/asphalt and littered with potholes, ruts and shitty failed repair work. And generally wet (poorly drained) and minging.

As I said.. Useage (where, by whom, how and in what conditions) your Emtb is ridden makes a MASSIVE difference to the motor lifespan.

BTW, that one was gentle on me 'cos I was on my clockwork bike. Heart rate hit 181 :eek:).
Your heart rate (out of context) means absolutely nothing.

Last edited:

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
No.. They're mainly worn out rough as fuck half obliterated and unloved UK tarmac/asphalt and littered with potholes, ruts and shitty failed repair work. And generally wet (poorly drained) and minging.

You remind me of why I left Britain in 1980... immediately after spending in year in your part of the world I'd almost lost the will to live. That shortage of natural daylight for months of the year did nothing for either my humour, or that of the locals. (Not that they liked my English accent anyway.) I headed for warmer climes with more daylight and have never regretted it.

As I said.. Useage (where, by whom, how and in what conditions) your Emtb is ridden makes a MASSIVE difference to the motor lifespan.

Agree 100%. I was trying to show that this wasn't just a flat easy commute. This wasn't meant to be a willy-waving contest. It's just an example from Tuesday night. As to conditions in this part of the world - there are dozens of YouTube channels giving you a good flavour of southern Spain. The chap rides much of it. As do we all.

Your heart rate (out of context) means absolutely nothing.

?‍♂️ Of course! You are totally correct, as usual.

Context: like a good proportion of the others lurking around here, I'm an overweight, little, grey-haired, old age pensioner (66). Last cardiac stress test I did (on a static bike), the cardiologist couldn't get my heart rate over 178 bpm no matter how hard we both tried. Given that I'm now a decade older and certainly neither lighter nor fitter, I was not a little surprised at the 181 bpm given that the maximum is supposed to decrease by 1 bpm per year. I guess it just shows what bloody-mindedness will do - when it's dark and I can't see the soddin' readout on the Garmin! :ROFLMAO:

mtbbiker

Sep 15, 2018
Murrieta
I got about 3k miles out of my motor, I ride the crap out of it. Easily 95% hard off road mileage. Motor was still going strong but I’d get an occasional W011 speed sensor code. Then on my last ride, the display read 0mph all the time. adjusted magnet, still nothing. Removed side motor cover, saw a lot of dirt in the connectors. Removed and clean, but one connector on the motor just would not snap into place. Took it to the bike shop, cleaned with compressed air, used the proper tool and still can’t get the connector to snap into place. Shimano approve a new motor. Some how I’ll need to protect that side cover from the elements better. Anyone else done this?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
HR is an odd thing. And most doctors don't seem to understand it either.
Example.. My my RESTING HR is around 40bpm.(always has been.. When younger and fitter it would drop to 37). I've lost count of the amount if times Doctors have been thrown by my HR and ask stupid questions like "are you extremely fit?"
Max HR is just as odd thing to get hung up on.. My max cycling (Road) is at least 10bpm higher than my running Max HR.. and off road my descending (zero pedalling) Max HR is higher than my uphill max.
So max and resting themselves tell very little. Range and zones within that range are a lot more helpful.

Not PISSING competitively BTW. I don't actually care who's better or worse, fittest or unfittest.. I simply prefer stuff to be correct.

#FolkoftenStruggletoGETme
#rainman

Ps. Scottish weather is character building for sure.. And may well be part of the reason I have such a dark sense of humour.
It's 4:30 and its been dark here for almost an hour already. I'll be commuting home soon for an hour in the dark and pissing rain. Playing with potholes and arseholes as ever. Love it TBH.

MassDeduction

Dec 1, 2019
Victoria, BC
You remind me of why I left Britain in 1980... immediately after spending in year in your part of the world I'd almost lost the will to live. That shortage of natural daylight for months of the year did nothing for either my humour, or that of the locals. (Not that they liked my English accent anyway.) I headed for warmer climes with more daylight and have never regretted it. […]

There are meaningful daylight differences in a country as small as the UK? That's educational for me, I wouldn't have guessed that.

(I'm Canadian, am used to a country 5.5 timezones wide and I don't even know how many latitudes tall, so most countries seem tiny to me, so your comment was genuinely educational.)

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
There are meaningful daylight differences in a country as small as the UK? That's educational for me, I wouldn't have guessed that.

(I'm Canadian, am used to a country 5.5 timezones wide and I don't even know how many latitudes tall, so most countries seem tiny to me, so your comment was genuinely educational.)

Daylight differences are due to differences in latitude. In the late 70's I was living on Britain's south coast but was working in Scotland and then the Shetlands. In your terms, that difference in daylight hours is the same as between Toronto and Long Island in The Hudson Bay. In the Shetlands, there was weak daylight between 10am and 2pm in winter. I used to be a keen photographer but the daylight was so weak that a tripod was needed even at midday.

I'm currently living in Southern Spain, which puts the daylight difference as the equivalent of your North-South difference between Toronto and the Beaufort Sea.

Where Gary lives in Scotland, he's probably enjoying around 5 to 6 hours of daylight at the moment - probably heavily masked by thick clouds and torrential rain. Here in Vejer, we get 10 hours of winter sunshine which, with the blue sky, is strong enough to need sun lotion protection. We each have our preference :cool:

Timezones are eccentric. Spain is set to CET, which is one hour ahead of GMT. However, where we live we are to the west of Dublin in the Irish Republic, so we should, in theory, be a half hour behind GMT. Tourists are always surprised that lunchtime is between 2pm and 4pm and dinner never earlier that 8pm (when the restaurants open) and usually closer to 10pm. When it's explained that this is, in reality 12:30-14:30 and 18:30-20:30 it still doesn't stop them hammering on the doors at midday to be fed. Folks are strange...

MassDeduction

Dec 1, 2019
Victoria, BC
Daylight differences are due to differences in latitude. In the late 70's I was living on Britain's south coast but was working in Scotland and then the Shetlands. In your terms, that difference in daylight hours is the same as between Toronto and Long Island in The Hudson Bay. In the Shetlands, there was weak daylight between 10am and 2pm in winter. I used to be a keen photographer but the daylight was so weak that a tripod was needed even at midday.

I'm currently living in Southern Spain, which puts the daylight difference as the equivalent of your North-South difference between Toronto and the Beaufort Sea.

Where Gary lives in Scotland, he's probably enjoying around 5 to 6 hours of daylight at the moment - probably heavily masked by thick clouds and torrential rain. Here in Vejer, we get 10 hours of winter sunshine which, with the blue sky, is strong enough to need sun lotion protection. We each have our preference :cool:

Timezones are eccentric. Spain is set to CET, which is one hour ahead of GMT. However, where we live we are to the west of Dublin in the Irish Republic, so we should, in theory, be a half hour behind GMT. Tourists are always surprised that lunchtime is between 2pm and 4pm and dinner never earlier that 8pm (when the restaurants open) and usually closer to 10pm. When it's explained that this is, in reality 12:30-14:30 and 18:30-20:30 it still doesn't stop them hammering on the doors at midday to be fed. Folks are strange...

I live within the 48th latitude (or the 48th parallel, as we typically call it in Canada, which helpfully distinguishes it from latitude of height above ground, or above sea level, which the word latitude is also used for). I regularly travel within the 49th parallel, and have occasionally travelled as high as the 55th parallel, but most of my travel North has been in the summer months so I was less likely to notice such a stark difference as what you describe. My most frequent trips have been between the 45th and 53rd parallel. In the winter I probably travel mostly between the 45th and 50th parallel, and I never noticed any daylight difference, but maybe I wasn't paying enough attention! It may just be that I've only ever lived in one place, and my travel has been just that, visiting places.

Like I said in the previous post, very educational. Thank you. :)

Billywhizz

Jun 24, 2019
TS147LN
3000, going in to my 3rd winter. No problems. There is a small amount of play but that is quite normal according to the Shimano motor experts.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Where Gary lives in Scotland, he's probably enjoying around 5 to 6 hours of daylight at the moment - probably heavily masked by thick clouds and torrential rain.
I'm in the south of Scotland. South East to be exact so it's actually drier here than the west of England
right now 3.30pm it's already dark (because it's raining. on clear days it's light around 8:30am and dark again by 4pm
Further north will have around an hours less light this time of year. Plus side is it doesn't get dark until after 11pm in June/July and is getting light again just after 3am

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
I live within the 48th latitude (or the 48th parallel, as we typically call it in Canada, which helpfully distinguishes it from latitude of height above ground, or above sea level, which the word latitude is also used for).

I guess that's a language difference that didn't cross the pond too well. We describe elevation above sea level as "altitude", which removes that ambiguity.

MassDeduction

Dec 1, 2019
Victoria, BC
I guess that's a language difference that didn't cross the pond too well. We describe elevation above sea level as "altitude", which removes that ambiguity.

We also typically use altitude for that. Hmmm... maybe I just know some people who say it wrong sometimes. :)

Well, for whatever reason, Canadians commonly say "parallel" instead of "latitude". It comes up particularly frequently in reference to the 49th parallel, which is the dividing line between much (though not all) of Canada and the U.S. Do you only say lines of latitude, or do you refer to parallels as well?

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
HR is an odd thing. And most doctors don't seem to understand it either.
No shit. I was 34 or 35 and entered in a 1hr stairmaster challenge and the person supervising was shitting herself as I was in the 215-220 range solidly for most of the hour. She kept on wanting me to ease back before I had a heart attack.
When I was in my teens and assisted as a guinea-pig at USC Irvine with a bunch of other sports people, the 3 pro motocrossers held sustained rates of 220+ for 20-30 minutes and pretty sure one guy held 240sh. I remember one of the car racers had a monitor for a few races and would spike 260-280 when stressed.

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Well, for whatever reason, Canadians commonly say "parallel" instead of "latitude". It comes up particularly frequently in reference to the 49th parallel, which is the dividing line between much (though not all) of Canada and the U.S. Do you only say lines of latitude, or do you refer to parallels as well?

I can only think of two cases where "parallel" would be used instead of "latitude" and that's when talking about the USA/Canada border and (for those of us brought up on a diet of M*A*S*H) the pre-Korean War border.

I can only think of "latitude" ever being taught to me when talking about the Equator, the Tropics of Cancer/Capricorn and the Artic/Antartic circles. The rest of the time we only talk about Eastings and Northings. I may well not be speaking for others here, because I have spent all of my working life dealing with Eastings and Northings (pretty much always to WGS84).

Latitude and Longitude are flawed measures because they assume that the Earth is a sphere. It's not. It's an irregular elipsoid. So the use of latitude and longitude is only of any use in talking in very general terms and pretty much useless for accurately getting from point A to point B over any substantial distance. For that we use the Easting and Northing coordinates that we program into our satnavs.

Don't get me started on "Elevation above Sea Level" - there lies madness!!!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
@Rusty I remember being in a Doctors consulting room all wired up and unable to breath (I'd been blacking out) with a resting HR 25bpm higher than usual and the doctor told me he'd be very happy if his resting HR were that low.
Baffles me how can you become a doctor without understanding the basics of how the bodily organs work and that there are natural differences from patient to patient.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Baffles me how can you become a doctor without understanding the basics of how the bodily organs work and that there are natural differences from patient to patient.
I do IT support for several Medical Centers and some of the doctors just plain scare me.

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
I'm not due to ride out with Beni for a week or two, so haven't had a chance to photograph his latest mileage. But here are this year's stats he's just put up on Strava. All on the same E8000 motor and battery.

Just under 8000km during 2019, and 128,000m of climbing.

Beni.JPG

RCDallas

May 28, 2019
Italy
I'm not due to ride out with Beni for a week or two, so haven't had a chance to photograph his latest mileage. But here are this year's stats he's just put up on Strava. All on the same E8000 motor and battery.

Just under 8000km during 2019, and 128,000m of climbing.

View attachment 23886
That's a bunch of kms in a year for sure. I would guess that the majority of which were on pavement or gravel roads as our Bosch powered emtb with close to 7000km now. Has there been any issues with the motor?

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
That's a bunch of kms in a year for sure. I would guess that the majority of which were on pavement or gravel roads as our Bosch powered emtb with close to 7000km now. Has there been any issues with the motor?

This is southern Spain: therefore little asphalt pavement/gravel fire road. Mostly either rocky or sand.

He has had no problems with either the motor or the battery. One thing to note is that wet weather riding and water immersion is pretty rare here (please send rain!) :LOL:

RCDallas

May 28, 2019
Italy
The Shimano, like the Bosch, seems to be a great motor for those conditions. I am more inclined to go with the theory of harder all mountain and Enduro riding with jumps and dropoffs takes a toll on the E8000 contributing a much reduced lifespan of the bearings and bottom bracket area of the motor causing premature wear. Especially in the torque sensor which probably needs to be a little more robust for that type of use.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
riding with jumps and dropoffs takes a toll on the E8000 contributing a much reduced lifespan of the bearings and bottom bracket area of the motor causing premature wear.
This ^^ definitely

But where do you get this:
Especially in the torque sensor which probably needs to be a little more robust for that type of use.
from?

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Max HR is just as odd thing to get hung up on.. My max cycling (Road) is at least 10bpm higher than my running Max HR.

Back in the 70's I was a guinea-pig at USC Irvine in a new Sports Medicine program I was doing the same. Ended up that while running on the treadmill I was breathing differently as to how I was on the spin cycle which was causing different Max HR.

RCDallas

May 28, 2019
Italy
This ^^ definitely

But where do you get this:

from?

The W013 error is a torque sensor fault on both the E7000 and E8000 which has been reported on several forums for several brands of eMTBs. In my observation a lot of these are on bikes that are being ridden hard in all-mountain and enduro/bike park type scenarios. Speculation on my part...sure but it does follow the clues.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I've only ever had W013 (on my first couple of motors) when water ingress/dirt got in the connector bay
which can't realy happen now I've sealed all entry

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
In my observation a lot of these are on bikes that are being ridden hard in all-mountain and enduro/bike park type scenarios. Speculation on my part...sure but it does follow the clues.

UFRXsgZ.jpg

Bike park use ALSO often = Fannies with a jet wash and no license/common sense
#enduro carparks are full of fannies with Mobi washers too.

I've no clue WTF "all mountain" means. Never have

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles