Hi Trekkies

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
it’s goodbye commencal sadly , Just put a deposit on a rail 9 , anything I should know before diving in ? Reviews certainly seem to rate it but there is always something they don’t tell you . What’s the bontrager stuff like. Especially the wheels ?

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
My Rail 7 is my 2nd Trek, I also have a Remedy. I love riding my Rail, and I think in general Trek offer well designed bikes and good bang for buck ( at least here in NZ they are good value for money ). That said, I think there are always minor issues with any bike, and Trek is no exception. While waiting for delivery of my Rail I joined this forum and read up on a couple of issues, and I'm glad I did. I addressed these issues before I even rode my bike for the first time and I have had no problems.

- Quite a few riders have had the battery fall out whilst riding, due to incorrect alignment of the latch. My latch was definitely not aligned correctly, maybe the battery wouldn't have fallen out, but I wasn't keen to risk it. Solution here:

- Another fairly common fault (and this is a Bosch issue, not Trek's fault) is that the chainring lockring nut loosens. You will need a special tool for this, but it's a simple matter of dismantling, discarding the o-ring, applying strong (red) loctite thread locker, and tightening (anti-clockwise, it's a reverse thread) to the specified torque. A lot of discussion on this issue, just go to the Bosch section and search chainring

- Some riders have had the cranks come loose as well. Seems to me this is just poor assembly at the bike shops. Did mine up to the proper torque and have had no problems.

Bontrager parts. The bars are heavy, overly stiff and harsh feeling. Quite a few riders have fitted Oneup carbon bars (me included)
I have had bad experiences with Bontrager wheels. The alloy wheels are pretty soft, too much lateral flex, and the cheap Dusters that came on my Remedy constantly broke spokes so I gave up on them. The carbon ones ride a lot better and are stronger. They have a plastic rim bed fitted, which makes it easy to seat tyres tubeless with just a hand pump, however the flip side of that is, it's the devil's job to get tyres on and off, and if you want to run inserts as well, good luck with that! I had Bonty carbon wheels on my Remedy. The hub centre is bonded into the wheel, and the glue let go, which ruined a ride I had travelled 400km for. Trek gave me a whole new wheel but I was done with Bonty wheels after that. Also the freehubs are poorly sealed and require regular attention. I found a couple of broken pawl springs the last time I serviced mine.

- If you want to raise the seatpost, take the battery out. Loosen the bolts that hold the cable camps and feed the dropper cable through as you're raising the seatpost. Otherwise the cable could part from the connector on the dropper, which is usually a motor out job to fix.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
What Phil said!
Most upgrades I've done are for comfort. The seat is a plank I went with a WTB pure. Carbon one up bars (with new 35mm stem- stock are 31.8) & deity grips help stop the trail hitting your hands. Dealing with the knockblock has been covered on different threads. The seatpost on the 7 is short (130) so upgraded to longer oneup post (also need better lever as they require more force to activate).
I've lost a crank mid ride & found loose bots after a shop service (mech was very concerned & went round with locktite n nearly everything)

The wheels have a rubber strip inside them to make them tubeless. They make it very hard to fit stiffer sidewall tyres as they take up real estate in the middle of the rim where you want the beads to go while fitting. I removed mine & put in tubeless tape. (I also fitted cushcores but they're not necessarily needed depending on the type of riding you do).

I've found these bikes to get better the harder you ride them. They don't really come into their own until you're on the edge of your abilities, wherever that is, & definitely give me more confidence on gnarly stuff I wouldn't have looked at before. They're also nice for cruising as well:)

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Thanks for the tips , bars will be changed for my renthal carbons , looking forward to having a bottle cage , although it looks like a small bottle is required .

Jubby

Aug 23, 2020
Langley, BC
Another issue is Trek is heavy on the paint so I would recommend applying clear vinyl in the most common area's, otherwise your gonna end up with some nasty paint chips.

JMD

Jul 26, 2019
Staffordshire
Rims are soft, won't last the distance & hubs are suspect, I swapped wheelset & kept original as emergency spare set.

Loose chainring locknut, cheap tools under £10 on eBay, blue locktite 25-30nm LH thread.

Theather (Garmin style) on kiox display to frame/cable, can be knocked of, if happens at night could be a issue ( also possible to bolt kiox permanent to holder, but not recommended)

The paint on carbon can chip, not sure about alloy frames.

Changing dropper or mech outer cables you need to drop motor, I can manage this without having to unplug any wiring

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I've got 1500 hard miles on my wheels and they're still functional. Of course there are better wheels out there, but I'm not spending money fixing something that isn't broken.

What size frame are you getting? The shock is pretty poor and you have to be careful what replacement you buy as the reservoir can hit the frame on full compression. I've got a medium frame and run a DVO Jade X with 60mm stroke giving 157mm rear travel and it has plenty of clearance.
rail7dvo.png

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
I've got 1500 hard miles on my wheels and they're still functional. Of course there are better wheels out there, but I'm not spending money fixing something that isn't broken.

What size frame are you getting? The shock is pretty poor and you have to be careful what replacement you buy as the reservoir can hit the frame on full compression. I've got a medium frame and run a DVO Jade X with 60mm stroke giving 157mm rear travel and it has plenty of clearance.
View attachment 48708
One of those is gonna be my late christmas present to myself soon!

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk

View attachment 48708
I have been very impressed with the coil shock on my commencal , so much less faff than air shocks , so good to know the rail can take one ok . The model Iam buying has quite a decent air shock , so hoping it’s going to be ok .

NEW RockShox Super Deluxe Ultimate RT3, DebonAir spring, Thru Shaft 3-position damper, 230x57.5 mm

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
It’s supposed to be better than the shock on my 7 but quite a few people don’t like it, something to do with the through shaft technology and Trek-specific tune.

Forever Wild

May 21, 2020
Arizona
it’s goodbye commencal sadly , Just put a deposit on a rail 9 , anything I should know before diving in ? Reviews certainly seem to rate it but there is always something they don’t tell you . What’s the bontrager stuff like. Especially the wheels ?
I like the bontrager wheels and tires. The only upgrade so far is a 35mm Renthal Fatbar with a 40 mm rise. My wife’s Trek RIB battery I think has an issue. The motor occasionally cuts off on hard jolts. The LBS already fixed it once under warranty. Only happens occasionally now. My trek has never done it.

Last edited:

Jubby

Aug 23, 2020
Langley, BC
I like the bontrager wheels and tires. The only upgrade so far is a 35mm Renthal Fatbar with a 40 mm rise. My wife’s Trek RIB battery I think has an issue. The motor occasionally cuts off on hard jolts. The LBS already fixed it once under warranted. Only happens occasionally now. My trek has never done it.
That motor should never cut out, so if I were you I would take it in before it gets worse again or before your warranty runs out.

Man of Finland

Dec 31, 2020
Finland
I`ve had a Trek Rail 7 for about 1,5 months. Was planning to by the 9 but the shops didn`t have any here in Finland and I got a good bargain for the last Trek in that shop (Specialized dealer). What I`ve read, the Shimano is better vs. Sram. I also had the chainring lockring issue. Really like my Rail 7!

Tortelli

Dec 22, 2020
NL
What Phil said!
Most upgrades I've done are for comfort. The seat is a plank I went with a WTB pure. Carbon one up bars (with new 35mm stem- stock are 31.8) & deity grips help stop the trail hitting your hands. Dealing with the knockblock has been covered on different threads. The seatpost on the 7 is short (130) so upgraded to longer oneup post (also need better lever as they require more force to activate).
I've lost a crank mid ride & found loose bots after a shop service (mech was very concerned & went round with locktite n nearly everything)

Did my first ride on my Rail 9 today. Damn the seat is a plank! Sure gonna replace that one!

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Did my first ride on my Rail 9 today. Damn the seat is a plank! Sure gonna replace that one!
Getting used to the seat ,it’s broken in a bit , not as comfy as my wtb , it’s slippery and the shape makes it very easy to slide off the back which I quite like

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Getting used to the seat ,it’s broken in a bit , not as comfy as my wtb , it’s slippery and the shape makes it very easy to slide off the back which I quite like
You actually rode on it? Did we forget to tell you it's really just for show? - like the plastic pedals some bikes have to make them look complete in the shop. ?

skeet103

May 24, 2020
usa
Thanks for all the replies guys, just got a rail 7 and can't wait to ride it!!! My ride wrap is coming Friday, so glad I decided to wait after reading the comments on the paint.

Quick question on the Bosch locknut, does anyone know what tool I need to have? I called a shop and they couldnt really be very specific. figured I'd get a now one since I plan on changing my crank arms length in the near future.

JMD

Jul 26, 2019
Staffordshire
Thanks for all the replies guys, just got a rail 7 and can't wait to ride it!!! My ride wrap is coming Friday, so glad I decided to wait after reading the comments on the paint.

Quick question on the Bosch locknut, does anyone know what tool I need to have? I called a shop and they couldnt really be very specific. figured I'd get a now one since I plan on changing my crank arms length in the near future.
Shimano ISIS Drive and ISIS Overdrive eight-notch bottom bracket tool

Sean1.0

Aug 2, 2020
Kernowshire
IceToolz Bosch Lockring Tool Sprockets M801 Bike Bicycle Lockring Remover 4718152228017 | eBay. This is best value I could find on the lock ring socket . icetools quality is pretty good

I don't think that will fit the Bosch CX Gen4 fella.... won't clear the spindle. Its for Gen 2.

Best value I found to fit a Gen4 was the Unior Tool 1671.2/4

In stock at a few usual EU online suspects as well.

You can see its deeper than the Icetools M801...

1610585294072.png

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I don't think that will fit the Bosch CX Gen4 fella.... won't clear the spindle. Its for Gen 2.

Best value I found to fit a Gen4 was the Unior Tool 1671.2/4

In stock at a few usual EU online suspects as well.

You can see its deeper than the Icetools M801...

View attachment 49893
Ohh bloody hell , looks like I may have wasted 15 quid then . you posted this link and I followed it to eBay then bought the other one because it looked like a better deal . There’s no info on them as to which model they fit so presumed all bosch lock rings were the same Doh!

Sean1.0

Aug 2, 2020
Kernowshire
Ohh bloody hell , looks like I may have wasted 15 quid then . you posted this link and I followed it to eBay then bought the other one because it looked like a better deal . There’s no info on them as to which model they fit so presumed all bosch lock rings were the same Doh!

lol... yes, I pm'd you the Unior tool link and not the cheaper Icetools one as that doesn't fit ?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Assuming you ordered from the link you posted you can return it and the seller even pays the postage!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles