Hi - newbie from Somerset

Nick m

May 1, 2020
Clevedon, Somerset, England
Hi All
My name is Nick and i,m from Sunny Somerset.
I am a newbie to the E bike scene and have had my Focus Jam 2 since October last year and am still getting to grips with it.

I have been mountain biking for around 10 years but only took it up in my early 50s
I decided to get an ebike due to a long term lung condition and it has helped me conquer steep hills which has always been a problem for me.

I am looking forward to speaking with like minded people.
Cheers
Nick

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Nick,
I live on the edge of Taunton. Favourite area is the Quantocks (just over 30 mins to the edge of it on my Levo) but I've been doing shorter rides like the Blackdown Hills (Here Path) and King's Cliff in the lockdown. I started riding off road when I was 5, over 60 years ago and got the Levo last Sep because last year I was getting so knackered on the climbs that I just wasn't enjoying it so much and I was getting really worried I would have to give up. Maybe get together on the other side of this malarky? Having said that, Somerset is a big place and don't know which you're in.
Regards,
Kenny

Nick m

May 1, 2020
Clevedon, Somerset, England
Nick,
I live on the edge of Taunton. Favourite area is the Quantocks (just over 30 mins to the edge of it on my Levo) but I've been doing shorter rides like the Blackdown Hills (Here Path) and King's Cliff in the lockdown. I started riding off road when I was 5, over 60 years ago and got the Levo last Sep because last year I was getting so knackered on the climbs that I just wasn't enjoying it so much and I was getting really worried I would have to give up. Maybe get together on the other side of this malarky? Having said that, Somerset is a big place and don't know which you're in.
Regards,
Kenny
Nick,
Regards,
Kenny

Hi Kenny
Nice to hear from you.
I am from Clevedon and usually ride local trails but my wife and i have done the Herepath 3 times and we have also ridden Kingscliff but on normal bikes.
I have done Ashton court and Leigh woods a few times on the ebike but I much prefer the natural trails.
I cant wait to ride the Mendips but will have to wait until the lockdown ends as I dont want to drive anywhere. My wife Sally has a normal bike and I feel guilty riding the ebike with her so I usually ride my Giant Trance. I I have ridden the Quantocks a few times on the Trance but find the hills too much for me!
I would like to ride Bike Park Wales on the Focus but would still use the uplift as the Jam2 has a smaller battery.
Sally isnt into the more extreme technical stuff that I enjoy so we do more XC than trail.
Still I am very thankful that I have a wife who enjoys mountain biking .

I must admit I am still struggling to get my head around riding an ebike as part of me still thinks I dont need one. I didnt think my mind would play such crappy tricks with me once i bought it but it does.Saying that, I rode the Malverns with my brother who is as fit as a flea a couple of months ago and can say for sure that if I was on my Trance I wouldnt have made the first climb.
It was quite funny because on the flats he went like a bat out of hell thinking I was right up his bum but I was miles behind because the battery cut out at 15 mph and the bike felt like it was riding through treacle.
There are so many places I want to try but will just have to wait.a while.

Cheers
Nick

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles