? Hi from Canmore!

Canmore TLCC 29

Jun 16, 2020
Canmore, AB Canada
I am new to ebikes. I live in a mountain town and had always gotten around on my 2009 Trek Fuel, but decided my age was holding me back from enjoying some of the more challenging trails, primarily the Nordic Center which is a pretty good uphill climb from South Canmore. Since I retired in 2016 and since COVID kept me from spring skiing and workouts at the gym, I decided I needed to be more active. And what better way to get out and enjoy the gorgeous Bow Valley in the Canadian Rockies!
I have a lot of questions and plan to browse everyone’s posts and comments to find answers. What I see here is many people who love their e-Mountain Bikes. I am looking forward to civil discussions here as a haven from all that seems to have gone wrong in the last decade with hopes for a more satisfying future on my Turbo Levo!

?? Thanks in advance to everyone and especially Rob Hancill for getting this conversation started.

Jim

Last edited:

Canmore TLCC 29

Jun 16, 2020
Canmore, AB Canada
Great place to live! We were in Banff/Lake Louise and Golden last year.
Yup, Banff is gorgeous! It was closed until last week due to Covid. Only day use until the 21st if June. We have been having people crossing over from tue US illegally claiming they are driving to Alaska. The US/Canadian boarder has been closed to all but essential travel, truckers etc.,.
Which brings me to a comment about ebikes in Banff. They are not allowed at all. If caught there is a fine. Probably about $250 Canadian.
I need to find an ebuke advocacy group to promot ebike use in National parks.

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Congrats Jim on the retirement. Good luck with your search. My decoy has been great for the social distancing thing this summer. Im off work and its allowed me to ride pretty much everyday and get away from the crowds. I lived in banff/canmore for 25 years. A lot of trails id love to take my emtb on there after riding it all on my regular mtb.
I thought emtb was allowed in the national parks anywhere a mtb can go. I think k country may have some restrictions though. Im not totally up to date on it though. I think K country rangers are too busy plucking stranded/fallen/lost scramblers off the peaks to be worried ,or even care, about emtb enforcement. Those guys are flat out with rescues. Im under the impression all the trails surrounding canmore are fine which great. Pretty much everything there, apart from the nordic center, starts with a granny gear grunt. Emtb makes total sense there. Its nice being able to save the intervals and sprints until after im good and warmed up

Canmore TLCC 29

Jun 16, 2020
Canmore, AB Canada
Congrats Jim on the retirement. Good luck with your search. My decoy has been great for the social distancing thing this summer. Im off work and its allowed me to ride pretty much everyday and get away from the crowds. I lived in banff/canmore for 25 years. A lot of trails id love to take my emtb on there after riding it all on my regular mtb.
I thought emtb was allowed in the national parks anywhere a mtb can go. I think k country may have some restrictions though. Im not totally up to date on it though. I think K country rangers are too busy plucking stranded/fallen/lost scramblers off the peaks to be worried ,or even care, about emtb enforcement. Those guys are flat out with rescues. Im under the impression all the trails surrounding canmore are fine which great. Pretty much everything there, apart from the nordic center, starts with a granny gear grunt. Emtb makes total sense there. Its nice being able to save the intervals and sprints until after im good and warmed up
I hope you are right about ebikes in the national park. K-Country is OK for ebikes I think. Nordic center has banded them under review. The only trails in the Banff National parks where ebikes are ok are Legacy and Goat Creak Trail. I will ride up to the Nordic center for the second time today and char with the conservation officer. I will follow up here. It’s amazing I still have over 80% battery left, so I can make it up there four more tomes today if I like. ?

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
I hope you are right about ebikes in the national park. K-Country is OK for ebikes I think. Nordic center has banded them under review. The only trails in the Banff National parks where ebikes are ok are Legacy and Goat Creak Trail. I will ride up to the Nordic center for the second time today and char with the conservation officer. I will follow up here. It’s amazing I still have over 80% battery left, so I can make it up there four more tomes today if I like. ?
Haa right on. Id be interested to hear what you find out.
Canmore friends are visiting me in revelstoke this week/weekend but theyre still on antique bikes? so im not sure theyre up to date. I want to get back there with mine. Every climb onto the highline is a grunt and that'd be super fun on the eeb and skip the max heart rate starts. Bunch of new stuff in the valley too.
I thought the trails along the hoodoos up by tunnel mountain campground would be open to emtb and those new ones behind tunnel mt. The ones along the hoodoos and around the edge of the campground are pretty user friendly for all levels. Thats a pretty nice 8-10 km loop. Hopefully thats open. I dont know what they call it now. We made it years ago as "the race loop" because we figured all the clubs could ride it comfortably, including the younger kids in the banff alpine riders

Twin Valleys

Nov 5, 2019
southern Alberta, Canada
the Alberta Provincial parks are currently piloting e-bikes in several of the parks until October (including the Nordic Centre) take a google Alberta parks and e-bikes and you will get current update and a place to complete survey which e-bikers should complete to show our support - National Parks are all over the map on e-bike use - Waterton National Park allows e-bikes on all mtn bike trails as does Kootenay National Park but Banff just around the town site currently - anyways like you with retiring I have moved from regular mtn bike to a levo comp in December and just love that bike and experiences with it - whereas with regular mtn bike I would hang it up for the winter - the e-bike got me out all winter and don't even mind the windy days this spring - lots of places to ride back country in Alberta without meeting anybody - enjoy your new e-mtn bike!!!

Canmore TLCC 29

Jun 16, 2020
Canmore, AB Canada
the Alberta Provincial parks are currently piloting e-bikes in several of the parks until October (including the Nordic Centre) take a google Alberta parks and e-bikes and you will get current update and a place to complete survey which e-bikers should complete to show our support - National Parks are all over the map on e-bike use - Waterton National Park allows e-bikes on all mtn bike trails as does Kootenay National Park but Banff just around the town site currently - anyways like you with retiring I have moved from regular mtn bike to a levo comp in December and just love that bike and experiences with it - whereas with regular mtn bike I would hang it up for the winter - the e-bike got me out all winter and don't even mind the windy days this spring - lots of places to ride back country in Alberta without meeting anybody - enjoy your new e-mtn bike!!!

Canmore TLCC 29

Jun 16, 2020
Canmore, AB Canada
Thanks for the info. I road up the new switch back at the trans alta hydro plant and the Legacy trail,(not the Legacy trail that runs along the TCH). That segment if trails ip to tue Nordic enter permits ebikes. All of the single track trails in the center are off limits for ebikes and are so posted. I got a wink from the park office that people ride ebikes but should you get into trouble and require rescue, they may fine you.
Banff is Off limits for ebikes. Only paved paths are Ok for ebikes, including the Legacy Trail that runs next to the TCH.

I filled out the survey last summer.

I have been having a blast on my Turbo Levo Comp. I was surprised that The Bike Shop did not have a user manual or current “Instruction Guide” for the 2020 models. The suspention is a mystery to me at this point. I hope I can find a forum that discusses the nuts and bolts if this bike.

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Thanks for the info. I road up the new switch back at the trans alta hydro plant and the Legacy trail,(not the Legacy trail that runs along the TCH). That segment if trails ip to tue Nordic enter permits ebikes. All of the single track trails in the center are off limits for ebikes and are so posted. I got a wink from the park office that people ride ebikes but should you get into trouble and require rescue, they may fine you.
Banff is Off limits for ebikes. Only paved paths are Ok for ebikes, including the Legacy Trail that runs next to the TCH.

I filled out the survey last summer.

I have been having a blast on my Turbo Levo Comp. I was surprised that The Bike Shop did not have a user manual or current “Instruction Guide” for the 2020 models. The suspention is a mystery to me at this point. I hope I can find a forum that discusses the nuts and bolts if this bike.
Best info I found on setting up the suspension. Even I had it all figured out in an afternoon. Definitely helped.

D

Deleted member 4988

Enjoy your retirement Jim, well we are looking at moving over to Calgary next year as the wife will be relocating with her job so looking forward to finally moving over there from the UK !

Well hopefully the restrictions that are currently in place WILL be lifted in the near future as some of those trails look absolutely outstanding.

Look forward to bumping into you at some point in the near future

Canmore TLCC 29

Jun 16, 2020
Canmore, AB Canada
Enjoy your retirement Jim, well we are looking at moving over to Calgary next year as the wife will be relocating with her job so looking forward to finally moving over there from the UK !

Well hopefully the restrictions that are currently in place WILL be lifted in the near future as some of those trails look absolutely outstanding.

That is good news to hear that someone has a job in Calgary. I didn’t retire on purpose in 2016 but Life has been good. I moved to Calgary for work in 2009 from the USA. Spent some time commuting between Scotland and Denmark in the 90’s. My neighbor moved to Canmore from Kazakhistan and his wife joined him two weeks ago, so it is possible to relocate here In these times. I think you and your wife will like Calgary. Especially after we get COVID-19 under control. It’s going to be 21 today here so my wife and I will be out and about riding and hiking for sure.

stay in touch!

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver

I moved from the UK to Canada 23 years ago. Don't regret it one bit. Toronto first and then Vancouver.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles