Hi from Bedfordshire, UK.

• Thread starter Deleted member 1275
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1275

Hello guys.

I would just like to start by saying what an informative and inspiring resource eMTB forums and the associated Youtube channel are. I have been lurking for a little while now but thought it was high time I actually joined.

At the moment I am still riding and enjoying my 2001 Spesh Enduro that I built up from a frame set. A Fox Float R and Marzocchi Bomber takes it in turns to take care of minimising the effects of uneven terrain and a nice set of Hope M4s takes care of me when my skill, talent and bravery hit their limits. The latter happens more than I would care to divulge! :) Additionally the bike is equipped with 26s of course being an early 2000 model. I still have fun on it so I'm not embarrassed.

Anyway, about a month ago I made the big mistake of buying my wife a nice Moterra LT1 to help reduce the gap between our riding when we go out for a few hours. I've seen a lot of youtube videos about this 'gap-reducing' and its all nonsense. The gap between us is exactly the same. Only reversed! I now have the lovely early morning stillness disturbed with her 'cackling' as she leaves me for dead as soon as we embark on an uphill section, even a short one!

So, I'm now in the market for my own eMTB and what a frustrating time it has been trying to spend a serious wad of cash on a new bike!

The reason it's been so frustrating is that every time I short list some bikes based on a spec I like and that I consider relatively good value (ish) I can't find anywhere to demo them or they are out of stock or I simply can't get one in my size. Also the bikes I like the look of e.g. the Spesh Kenevo or Cube Action Team aren't really going to be the right bike for me as they will be complete overkill for the gentle trails I have locally and also because of my modest ability, not to mention I don't heal as well as I did when I was a teenager! Heart wants a Kenevo - head thinks I should just wait until the 2019 Comp Carbon XL has some better availability. I am open to other bike suggestions though chaps and I have no allegiance to any brands.

One specific question I have though relates to the XL Kenevo Expert. I am 187cm (almost 6'2"). I test rode an XL Kenevo Comp around a car park and I'm pretty sure XL is the right size but despite being fairly tall and with ape-like long arms, I suspect that the rear spring rate will be wrong for me. I'm about 80kg fully loaded with Camelback etc. I spoke to the dealer about this and while they thought I would need a softer spring they were dismissive about the fact I would simply have to buy the correct spring later on. Spending £5,500 on a bike and they would not make sure the the bike was suitably set up for me - oh well! Any other fairly tall but light guys running an XL Kenevo with the supplied rear spring?

Looking forward to reading the forums further and watching the youtube channel and hopefully I will soon be able to join the discussions about the actual bikes.

Congrats to the team behind the forums and YT channel. Good stuff!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 1275

Hi @Mike Smith

Many thanks for the welcome and reply. Good to know about the sizing for you and son in law. I think the XL Kenevo is the right size for me. How was your son in law with the rear shock, spring rate to soft?

Ive struggled a bit with the sizes of the eMTBs Ive tried to be honest. The reach always seems to short.

Mike Smith

May 26, 2018
Derby, UK
Whoops just noticed your after a Kenovo mines a Levo FSR Comp! which was okay for him as were both around the same weight, regarding reach etc, there are different stems that will alter this

D

Deleted member 1275

Thanks Mike,no worries about the confusion. Yeah, Kenovo has my interest at the moment. I also dont like to significantly alter the reach through stem length as, for me, it can alter the handling too much hence trying to get the exact right frame size, I might just have to deal with the coil spring after purchase if it does end up being to strong for my weight. This eMTB thing i s gonna get expensive!! ?

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Thanks Mike, no worries about the confusion. Yeah, Kenovo has my interest at the moment. I also dont like to significantly alter the reach through stem length as, for me, it can alter the handling too much hence trying to get the exact right frame size, I might just have to deal with the coil spring after purchase if it does end up being to strong for my weight. This eMTB thing is gonna get expensive!! ?
I am a smidge further south than you in Herts, but the terrain is similar and I think a Kenevo is way overkill for round here. My acoustic only has 120mm travel and that seems perfect for our rolling hills, even at Chicksands, though if I took it further afield to places like BPW I would prefer more travel.

I get that having more travel than you need is much less of a problem on an ebike as pedalling efficiency does not really matter, but when I get my ebike in the next 12-18 months I will be looking in the 140-160mm travel bracket - that will be ample for my local and further afield riding.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1275

Hi @MattyB

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I think you right about the Kenevo being overkill for our local trails. I spoke to Spesh this morning and they also said I should go for the Levo instead. I did enjoy the quick car park test ride on the 2018 Levo (lighter and livelier) and I think I would have more fun on that. It will be very hard keeping my eMTB budget intact for 3 months until 2019 Levos are back in stock! I just might have to wait, frustrating, but first world problem. ? at least it might be nice to have a new bike for the Spring.

Thanks again MattyB

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles