Hi all, Build your own EMTB

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
I've looked at it before, but couldn't find a bike with a steep enough down tube to give reasonable clearance for a mid drive motor and have enough space in the triangle for batteries. Not convinced it's particularly cheap, I was looking at £1000 or so for a bbs-hd and batteries, £1000 for a bike and probably £500-1000 of parts to upgrade the bike to something I would consider riding.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Problem is a conversion cant hold a candle to a decent OEM E-MTB for serious riding. I do wish there where more frames options though, where you can buy the frame and motor/battery and build it up yourself.

iamdwarfman

Aug 29, 2018
Co Durham
I've looked at it before, but couldn't find a bike with a steep enough down tube to give reasonable clearance for a mid drive motor and have enough space in the triangle for batteries. Not convinced it's particularly cheap, I was looking at £1000 or so for a bbs-hd and batteries, £1000 for a bike and probably £500-1000 of parts to upgrade the bike to something I would consider riding.

I have just priced a 60v 3000w mid drive kit with batteries and inc delivery it would come to £1250 ish using lipos. with 16ah . I picked up an old banshee scream ( real heavy duty frame ) and smash through the countryside Np. I am on building a light wight specialized at the moment using BB mount Cyclone motor it does not come lower than the chain ring , not like the bafang + I have never hit a rock with my motor yet and have had 6 Years of trying .

MarkH

Patreon
Aug 12, 2018
Manchester
I've considers converting a fat bike I've got lying around so the wife could use it. But I know I wouldn't have the time to build it and she probably wouldn't use it anyhow.

iamdwarfman

Aug 29, 2018
Co Durham
using my Bluetooth controller I restrict the motor to 250w and limit it to 15 mph in public.
Still better than paying 3 to 6 k for something that has no range.

DSC_0028.jpg

iamdwarfman

Aug 29, 2018
Co Durham
I have knocked up a battery box for a specialized you could get 20ah at 34v in it. I stuck on youtube it didn't realy detract from the
That’s pretty cool. I’d probably prefer something a little bigger so I could ride, post on the forum, and watch Police Academy 4 all at the same time
I keep a copy of Up in Smoke, just in case.

Basy

Mar 23, 2018
Australia
I've got a Bafang BBSHD on a Ragley Mmmbop. The fit is great (much better than most frames I've tried) because of the rear stay. The chainline is a little out though but if you're gentle when changing up it's fine.

bbshd.JPG

20180819_195243.jpg

larryvaan

Jan 22, 2023
Finland
I've got a Bafang BBSHD on a Ragley Mmmbop. The fit is great (much better than most frames I've tried) because of the rear stay. The chainline is a little out though but if you're gentle when changing up
It's a while from your post, but is your bbshd 68-73mm model?

What do you think, will the 42T chainring fit Ragley frame.

I am looking for a hardtail frame for bbshd. I allready have motor and chainring. Ragley seems interesting.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles