Help with Pro4 XD Driver

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
Hi, have got some nice new wheels. Sadly, as soon as I tighten the axle fully, the bike becomes a fixie as the cassette locks onto the hub.

Now, the shop fitted the cassette for me, and googling I've found this, which suggests you need to remove the spacer before fitting the cassette:
XD Driver note

It's a Sunrace cassette if that makes any odds. Am thinking the shop perhaps missed the note above, anyone else had this problem?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
That note is talking about the end cap spacer. not an internal spacer. no idea why HOPE didn't make that more obvious. Your shop couldn't have fitted the cassette properly without removing the endcap. it basically stops the tool engaging with the splines and if done up will probably slip and damage the cassette before it's even tight enough.

There's a spacer behind the freehub on Hope Pro hubs that if you forget to place on the axle when replacing the freehub body will cause the freehub to stick/not freewheel when the ends are compressed (by the QR, bolts or thru axle). Sounds more like in switching over bodies someone forgot to fit (or worse still lost) this spacer.

I didn't know Sunrace made XD cassettes

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
Cheers Gary. Think it's that one which is missing. If so, guess either Hope forgot to fit it, or the shop ordered the wrong cassette and swapped over the freehub. I do remember asking for XD, but it's definitely a shimano freehub so the first bit was a red herring ;( Back to shop tomorrow and they'll sort it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles