Help with first eMTB purchace (Trek vs. Haibike)

Korlger

Oct 21, 2018
TdzmTgn9eZAr
I have a choice between the following two bikes (both at around the same price - Haibike sold at a discount and actually $200 less than the Trek), I am 5' 7'' / 150lb and have been riding full suspension MTBs for the last 8 years, mostly on trails.

1) Trek Powerfly FS7 2019 in size 17.5
2) Haibike XDURO ALLMTN 9.0 2018 in size 44M

The Haibike has obviously higher end components but since this is my first eMTB I wanted to hear from a few of the experts before committing. I am in the US by the way.

Thanks!

nickthebee

Oct 16, 2018
henley
Forget H bike , you will hit the wall at 15mph and be totally disillusioned,..sorry but that's my view i did this test 3 weeks go ...Levo is the only way

Korlger

Oct 21, 2018
TdzmTgn9eZAr
I checked with the Haibike dealer and he confirmed it comes with the same speed limit (20mph) as all Bosch bikes in the US.

Korlger

Oct 21, 2018
TdzmTgn9eZAr
Trek all the way.

I am leaning towards Trek as well, had a Fuel EX in the past and loved it. The Haibike does have a higher end suspension for the same price but I feel 130mm suspension should be enough for what I am riding (trail, single track with small hills, not really downhill).

May I ask why you suggested Trek?

Albez

Sep 14, 2018
United Kingdom
I've been looking at the Trek fs7 but waiting to see what the Vitus e-sommet 2019 looks like when it arrives in November. Would prefer not to buy online but with the Vitus you get great specs at a great price. Not sure would be any good to you in the USA though. If I had to choose between the Trek and Haibike though I would get the Trek just on looks alone and also like the emtb mode on the Bosch.

Gofurtherfaster

Oct 10, 2018
The woods
Honestly, I'd maybe just consider how much travel you want. I think 130 is about the absolute MIN you should look at with an ebike, thats just my opinion though.

Korlger

Oct 21, 2018
TdzmTgn9eZAr
Honestly, I'd maybe just consider how much travel you want. I think 130 is about the absolute MIN you should look at with an ebike, thats just my opinion though.

Agreed, I had a 120mm MTB in the past and didn't feel the suspension was holding me back (I am 150lb full loaded). With the added 15-20 lb of weight I can see how 130mm would be the minimum. My best guess is that it would be enough but without too much room to grow.

Juelzy

Oct 2, 2018
USA
I am leaning towards Trek as well, had a Fuel EX in the past and loved it. The Haibike does have a higher end suspension for the same price but I feel 130mm suspension should be enough for what I am riding (trail, single track with small hills, not really downhill).

May I ask why you suggested Trek?
Depending on your budget you can get a Powerfly 5 for a really good deal in full susp. Plus Bosch is very dependable. Just my 2 cents lol.

Marke

Jun 17, 2018
West Yorkshire
Trek has Bosch motor too so won’t this be same to ride after restricter kicks in
Cheers j
Forget about the specialized the batteries and motors are more than 700 quid each when they eventually go pop out of warranty. None of the manufacturers offer spares so its replacement only. Bosch batteries are around 500 quid and there are third parties who will repair your motor for a couple of hundred quid. If the restrictor bothers you destrict (only legal on private land)

Marke

Jun 17, 2018
West Yorkshire
Bosch bosch bosch. :) Gonna hurt when you have buy a new motor when the warranty runs out. Whats your bike gonna be worth when specialized stop selling the battery for your specific bike (they change the design every 2 mins)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles