Help us make E-MTB holidays better!

Atlas Ride Co

Subscriber
Nov 20, 2023
Bath
Hello All,

Rich from Atlas Ride Co here (formerly MTB Beds)

Joining up hopefully to work with Rob but at the same time get feedback from the E-MTB community about your favourite destinations, full-fat v SL platforms, daily distances, travelling with e-bikes and more.

Look forward to speaking with more of you in the future but for now, it would be awesome to know how many of you travel abroad with your e-bike and try to source a battery in the riding destination. If this is not possible would you rent an E-bike in the specific destination or just take an analogue bike instead?

Cheers

Rich

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Welcome to the Forum Rich. :)

Whatever you set up please be aware that many riders on here are older than you might think. Quite a few new members join apologising for being an old git at 55! Ha, that's laughable, I was older than that before my first mtb and that was 15 years ago.

Age is not a problem until you want to hire an mtb/emtb or apply to go on a guided ride. I was in Tenerife earlier this year and called in at one place on the shore (can't remember the name now). It is on the border between Los Christianos and Las Americas. I was chatting to the guy, looking at the routes watching a video. It all looked and sounded great! Even the emtbs were a good spec. But then he discovered that I was 72. Oh dear, that was the end of that! No discussion, no negotiation. He mumbled that it was something to do with insurance, but I couldn't help feeling that it was concern about whether I was up to it or not. The guy was in his late 20's, early 30's tops.

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
The insurance company I use won't insure me next year because of my age 😪
Anyway back to the question.
I could not hire a Bosch powertube battery in the French Alps this year so I took the bike and it turned out I didn't need one because of the ski lifts.
Getting the bike through airports was a total pain because of the size.
I also went to Portugal and hired a semi decent ebike for £194 for 6 days. So it wasn't even worth considering taking my own and trying to source a battery.

Atlas Ride Co

Subscriber
Nov 20, 2023
Bath
Hey @steve_sordy great to hear from you! I don't think age plays a huge role at all, some of our fittest and most able riders have been well into their 60's but it is a consideration on certain tours that we run due to the terrain or group dynamics. Our Cairngorms e-mtb tour seems to attract slightly older riders but that is likely due to the culture, whisky, history and amazing trails.

@Bones the ski lifts are very happy to take e-bikes now. We offer Specialized batteries FOC to our clients on some of our destinations which seemed to be very much appreciated. It is hard to source other batteries however of even keep up with how many brands of battery there are now.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
One thing that springs to mind that would be really useful is to provide the option of including the hire of a bike box / bag in the package. It could be shipped to our home address the day before the flight, and then arrange a courier to collect the day after the return journey back to the UK.

I’ll be using Bike Box Alan for our planned trip to Vallnord next year, but have to drive to Rotherham to collect the box the day before and then drive back the day after we return to drop the box off. It just adds extra hassle

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
The insurance company I use won't insure me next year because of my age 😪
Anyway back to the question.
I could not hire a Bosch powertube battery in the French Alps this year so I took the bike and it turned out I didn't need one because of the ski lifts.
Getting the bike through airports was a total pain because of the size.
I also went to Portugal and hired a semi decent ebike for £194 for 6 days. So it wasn't even worth considering taking my own and trying to source a battery.
Wow that's cheap for the hire, looks like Portugal is now on the itenary for the next Europe trip, was it great riding near there and whereabouts was it exactly please.

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
Been down to Derby in Tasmania a couple of times now and down to Victoria a handful of times too, always hiring an ebike down there. It seem that around the $170 a day is the going rate for a proper, (Specialized, Trek, Norco, Merida) full fat dual suspension bike. Would do it more if it was a bit cheaper tho, would love to take my own bike but the distances over here are massive and flying is the cheapest option.

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
Wow that's cheap for the hire, looks like Portugal is now on the itenary for the next Europe trip, was it great riding near there and whereabouts was it exactly please.
The Algarve. I will find out the shop tomorrow sometime 👍

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
One thing that springs to mind that would be really useful is to provide the option of including the hire of a bike box / bag in the package. It could be shipped to our home address the day before the flight, and then arrange a courier to collect the day after the return journey back to the UK.

I’ll be using Bike Box Alan for our planned trip to Vallnord next year, but have to drive to Rotherham to collect the box the day before and then drive back the day after we return to drop the box off. It just adds extra hassle
I hire a bike box from a young lad at work saves me hassle as he’s local and he’s getting his Bike box for free.

Julie_X1

Jan 22, 2023
Canada
I was just thinking about planning e-mtb trips for next year.

My husband and I would definitely rent if there were decent options where we travelled.

We both ride mid-powered e-mtb (Trek Fuel EXe’s)

I think we’d be fine with full fats but as I’m not tall (5’ 4”), it’s not been easy to find e-MTBs in size small to even try.

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
Th

Thanks heaps for that, will work out well after heading through Espana, was the riding good around there?
Now I don't know if we get a special rate because the person who rented them has a house over there and uses them a lot.
Regarding riding, it's good and dusty. But if you check out the Show us your ride on here I have a few videos or check out Stephen foster MTB on you tube.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Been with yourselves to finale a few times with a pedalbike. Wouldn't do so these days as I no longer own one.
Hire an ebike? Dunno, it's quite expensive for a week.

I drive to morzine so no issues there.

Battery hire would be great. Coming from modern specialized there was pretty much one battery that would fit all.
However I've just bought bosch and it seems overly complicated. Smart, non smart, different lengths, horizontal, vertical etc so I doubt anyone could offer all these options.

Oh Ive just noticed you offer specialized batteries. Maybe I need to hold onto my kenevo after all.

Last edited:

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
I'm on an international trip right now. Took the mtb. E was too hard. Too heavy without the battery, too expensive to hire a battery.

No I wouldn't hire an ebike. I would. Not meet the spec of my e bike, would not set up for my style and I'd too expensive to hire.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Hey @steve_sordy great to hear from you! I don't think age plays a huge role at all, some of our fittest and most able riders have been well into their 60's but it is a consideration on certain tours that we run due to the terrain or group dynamics. Our Cairngorms e-mtb tour seems to attract slightly older riders but that is likely due to the culture, whisky, history and amazing trails.

Sorry if I failed to make my point. If your insurer for your business sets an age limit, don't just accept a generic 60 or 65. Many on here are very fit and capable after many years of riding, and are well over 65.

G-Sport

Oct 7, 2022
Yorkshire
Drove to Finale earlier in the year with the ebikes. 3 people in a Tesla with free supercharging. Just under a 24hour drive each way (including charging and tunnel etc). Well worth it though. Some days we just rode from the house but on several we got a single uplift at the start of the day to save time and battery. Absolutely brilliant, would love to do more of these but Finale is about as far as I would want to drive.
Would rent battery but wouldn't rent a bike, I'm very fussy about bike setup.

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
One challenge is convincing your mates it’s worth paying more to get a guide for eMTB. I’m really bought into it (originally from off piste snowboard trips in Chamonix where a guide is essential).

G-Sport

Oct 7, 2022
Yorkshire
Guide is fun too. Did a week with Ride Southern Spain last year on normal bikes and it was a lot of fun, but being tied to the group and uplift makes for a very different experience to just exploring on your own on ebikes and staying on the bike all day.

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
Guide is fun too. Did a week with Ride Southern Spain last year on normal bikes and it was a lot of fun, but being tied to the group and uplift makes for a very different experience to just exploring on your own on ebikes and staying on the bike all day.
Made the mistake of going on holiday by mistake with some lads who didn’t tell the guides 3 out 4 of us were on e-bikes.

Mikehorti

Subscriber
Apr 29, 2021
Surrey
Been down to Derby in Tasmania a couple of times now and down to Victoria a handful of times too, always hiring an ebike down there. It seem that around the $170 a day is the going rate for a proper, (Specialized, Trek, Norco, Merida) full fat dual suspension bike. Would do it more if it was a bit cheaper tho, would love to take my own bike but the distances over here are massive and flying is the cheapest option.
Great to see Tassie getting a mention on the forum! 😍🇦🇺

Mikehorti

Subscriber
Apr 29, 2021
Surrey
To answer the OP, I’ll happily hire anywhere that has decent bikes. Couldn’t get my Whyte e-150rs up to Scotland for a work trip so I hired a Trek Rail and toured the Kirroughtree area. Whilst I wasn’t a fan of the Trek when comparing to my Whyte, for £60 it provided 4hrs of mountain bliss

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
I have a DH bike for cable cars and eBike for everything else, and I'm happy to drive with batteries half way across mainland Europe. Battery rental is just one factor. When you consider the weight of an eBike without a battery and all the equipment you need for a riding holiday it's pretty damn hard to fly, and if you offset the packing time versus chucking it all in the car, there isn't that much time difference.
This does exclude me from a few nice island locations.
A major draw for me would be better eBike facilities. I ride with multiple batteries and it would be great if charging was offered in more places so I can boost all day and do some serious DH altitude.
Take our very own Dyfi for example, it is uplift only, which is bonkers because an ebike could climb faster than a land rover. I am more than happy to pay a significant amount to ride an ebike because it's nicer than sitting in the back of a van plus I would rather my money went towards building epic trails than paying someone to drive a van all day - that same person could be building trails!
I don't love renting because it takes ages to get your setup just right and you'll end up with worn tyres, which is understandable given how expensive eBikes are to run and make a profit on.

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
I have a DH bike for cable cars and eBike for everything else, and I'm happy to drive with batteries half way across mainland Europe. Battery rental is just one factor. When you consider the weight of an eBike without a battery and all the equipment you need for a riding holiday it's pretty damn hard to fly, and if you offset the packing time versus chucking it all in the car, there isn't that much time difference.
This does exclude me from a few nice island locations.
A major draw for me would be better eBike facilities. I ride with multiple batteries and it would be great if charging was offered in more places so I can boost all day and do some serious DH altitude.
Take our very own Dyfi for example, it is uplift only, which is bonkers because an ebike could climb faster than a land rover. I am more than happy to pay a significant amount to ride an ebike because it's nicer than sitting in the back of a van plus I would rather my money went towards building epic trails than paying someone to drive a van all day - that same person could be building trails!
I don't love renting because it takes ages to get your setup just right and you'll end up with worn tyres, which is understandable given how expensive eBikes are to run and make a profit on.
I’ve hired MTB in Madeira and road bikes in Mallorca and the good shops are uncannily good at setting bikes up. I’ve only hired an eebs once in Lake Garda and it was awful not put me off completely just wary.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Didn't get far today common sense prevailed for once , trails need a few more days thawing. Spiky tyres would have worked but not at the prices they are asking we don't get many weeks like this.

20231206_120152.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles