Help the gimp with the limp who's a wimp.

Cyclingwilly

May 8, 2020
County Durham
Someone on here mentioned a day or two ago that shops were doing cube hybrid stereo for £3300 ish instead of 3999..seems like a huge drop for the new 2020 version but worth an ask

Do you know which exact model Steve?

Steve940

Jan 15, 2020
North east England
Someone on here mentioned a day or two ago that shops were doing cube hybrid stereo for £3300 ish instead of 3999..seems like a huge drop for the new 2020 version but worth an ask

Do you know which exact model Steve?
Sl 140/160...it was only yesterday possibly the day before..if you e got local cube dealer you could give them a ring and ask them...I didnt even other as I'm using the finance and leaving my savings account alone for the rainy day/year lol..scared to spend at the moment

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
... asked where they bought their bikes and if any had tried a demo bike, not one dealer would give them a bike to try, unless they pootled around the car park a few yards away...
I had the same predicament. I had it all planned and was going to hire an eBike at our local MTB trail bike hire, but they were always all booked out. That in itself was a good indication. Tell you what, in my case even a few minutes around my LBS parking lot was better than not being able to ride one at all. What it did was reveal to me which was the right frame size was for me. So I based my decision on that alone and thankfully never regretted my choice.

I’m also a fan of the Yamaha motor on Giant eBikes. They have relatively high 80Nm if torque, that engages quickly the moment the cranks get pedalled forward - but more importantly, the power spread is biased more towards lower cadence... which could be advantageous if high cadence spinning isn’t your game.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
There are several members in a similar situation @Stumpy can probably offer you some good advice, as he's a member of the one leg crew but you wouldnt know it to see him ride. Personally I would go for a FS if you can afford it
Somehow I get the feeling that there ought to be a big red sign on top of the General and Beginners Forums that reads... Yes, a Full Suspension eMTB is what you want! Haha :)

Cyclingwilly

May 8, 2020
County Durham
Somehow I get the feeling that there ought to be a big red sign on top of the General and Beginners Forums that reads... Yes, a Full Suspension eMTB is what you want! Haha

It's my fault entirely, I'm very sorry.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Somehow I get the feeling that there ought to be a big red sign on top of the General and Beginners Forums that reads... Yes, a Full Suspension eMTB is what you want! Haha

It's my fault entirely, I'm very sorry.
Oh no no no @Cyclingwilly. Sorry mate, that wasn’t meant to be a dig aimed at you. We often hear the same dilemma from new members and we are happy to help in any way we can. Every person has unique needs and applications.

I was just humouring R120 who’s a forum moderator. I didn’t think it through well enough.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
EMTB Hardtails shouldn't necessarily be discounted, and are fine for certain types of riding - I personally am a big hardtail fan, for me they will always be the mtb at its purest and most fun for dorking around on, but the issue with EMTB Hardtails is that really no one has bothered trying to make a decent one, instead just churning out entry level spec bikes which are only really designed with a bit of gentle xc/fireroad riding in mind, and nothing like the design thought put into them as their FS cousins. Most are just the same bike as their entry level analog siblings with a motor and battery lobbed on.

So its not so much that you should always go for an FS, its just that at the moment there isn't really any decent options out there for someone looking for a proper hardtail that both handle the abuse, and be fun to ride if you want to turn the dial up a bit.

I tired my best to make my E-Sentier into a "hardcore hardtail", and its fun to ride, you can see I didn't pull any punches with the spec, but its fundamentally limited by the weight and the geometry, and if you make a mistake when getting rowdy will bite hard - it is also brutal on your body for anything longer than a two hour ride on technical terrain, because you are pretty much always standing up on it, and without the rears suspension your upper body strength becomes the limiting factor to how long you can ride.

Screenshot 2020-05-10 at 23.05.31.png

Cyclingwilly

May 8, 2020
County Durham
So its not so much that you should always go for an FS, its just that at the moment there isn't really any decent options out there for someone looking for a proper hardtail that both handle the abuse, and be fun to ride if you want to turn the dial up a bit.

I tired my best to make my E-Sentier into a "hardcore hardtail", and its fun to ride, you can see I didn't pull any punches with the spec, but its fundamentally limited by the weight and the geometry, and if you make a mistake when getting rowdy will bite hard - it is also brutal on your body for anything longer than a two hour ride on technical terrain, because you are pretty much always standing up on it, and without the rears suspension your upper body strength becomes the limiting factor to how long you can ride.

..............................................................................................................................................................

Thank you R120, The reason I originally preferred a hardtail, was previous experience and my one foray into full suss, wasn't exactly enjoyable. I can't stand to pedal, because of my disability, the rear end bobbing constantly was sapping what little energy and power I had, making it impossible to manage a ride longer than 10 miles. As previously mentioned, 1 ride in 10, might result in an off road dusty or muddy trail and when riding alone, I stick to known places with regular use and traffic, in case I get something wrong and I end up in an heap.
I'm not a regular downhill or "ragging it senseless" or "getting rowdy" type of rider, as I simply cannot do it, the idea of going full suss, was to give me the opportunity to reduce the pain and discomfort of riding and try different terrain every now and then.
I've really been out of the game for a few years and wanted to grab the bull by the horns and get back to biking while I can, I've had to give up on 3 other hobbies I had and wanted to concentrate on the one that I can do anytime of the year and in any weather. Fishing and shooting have been my life from when I was 5-6 years old, mountain biking hit me at 31, the first year was intense, the hours and miles I covered was mental. Fate intervened and a medical issue kept me off the bike for a few years, the frustration was massive and it hit me very very hard, as all the effort, stamina and strength I'd built up had gone.
I need and want to build up my core and lower body strength to the way it used to be or reasonably close, but I'll be 60 next year and the ravages of time, age, accidents, physical limitations and wear and tear are becoming more apparent and I'm very well aware of this.
So, in the grand scheme of things, I'm still completely baffled as to which way to go, must be an age thing.

Cyclingwilly

May 8, 2020
County Durham
It certainly is, since I got home, I've been plotting a few routes to go on and by using the Bosch app, I have a good idea of the mileage I can expect, but allowing for 20% more usage of the battery until I can get an better idea of how it works, so for instance, if I want to do a 50 mile ride, I'll plan it as 62.5 miles, if you get what I mean. Just a thought, is there any other apps available I can use, to put in my personal and bike details to give an idea of how the bike will perform?

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Thank you and will do, trying to think of a name for him/her at the moment.
I never really understood this 'giving-of-names to objects thing' - but as it turns out, my wife is a long time practitioner of this tradition, so over the years our cars (not all) got names like - Gertrude the Gutless Wonder, Alice the Dualis, Polly Polystyrene, and Donna the PA Mistress (don't ask!). Imagine the look I get when tell her that I'm just going out for a sec to take Donna for a wee spin! :rolleyes:

So none of my manual bikes got named, right up until my wife got her own eMTB just recently. She immediately named hers Frosty (because it's appliance White, like a refrigerator) and my Giant Trance e+ she named Kermit (because it's flouro lime green, like a poisonous frog).

Now it seems to me...

... that since Captain Willy (you)
have been finally "assimilated" into the notorious eBike Collective...

Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 9.00.13 AM.png

And, that your ship of choice happens to be a CUBE...

Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 9.00.51 AM.png

I respectfully propose that your Cube could be named... "BORG"
Remember... resistance is futile!

:alien:

Cyclingwilly

May 8, 2020
County Durham
I don't know why, but all my cars have had names, back in the day, I took a girl out in my first car, we went to the cinema and saw, My Stepmother is an Alien, Kim Basinger's character was called Celeste and my date, later GF called my car, Celeste. Since then, all have had names, my current car is a Golf called Keith, the reason being, the letters in the reg are KRG, KRG stretched to KORG is a keyboard manufacturer and Keith Emerson played keyboards, a somewhat ambiguous variation, but hey, nobody's perfect.
My mate once brought a puppy into the house, carried in a Tampax box, I'll leave this here.......

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles