Help please, factory bike power levels question.

Marjoriefinnegan

Jun 12, 2021
Uk
Hi guys
Was looking at entering the Bosch Ard Rock emtb challenge and it says...
Eebs must have blablabla....a maximum power output of 250 watts, and a speed restriction of 15.5 mph.

But I was under the impression that a lot of motors peak power far exceeds 250w?
Am only curious as I use a cyc motor and can set it to 250w output max (And 15.5mph), but that's all it would give, no extra 'boost' wattage.
I'm not hell bent on winning or anything so daft, just wondered how factory bikes work. It's looking a bit like the gentleman's horsepower agreement they have in Japan😄
Cheers🙏

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Looks like they ensuring only standard emtbs are entered, not any 1000w Bafang type powered bikes. Not sure how you could prove you've restricted your motor 🤔

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
They mean a standard emtb as sold all over Europe. The 250W is an average, such that a 500Whr battery will last 2 hours. But if you use Boost everywhere, then you will exhaust your battery in much less than two hours.

The 15.5mph limit is reference again to the EU limit of 25kph (15.5mph).

I guess that what they are trying to exclude is heavily modified bikes that have more than 250w of power output (on average). Also to exclude standard bikes that have been chipped to provide pedal assist above 15.5mph.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
No, not ambiguous. The power output of a motor is rated at its continuous operation capability without overheating. For a "pedelec" to be legal that is 250w. Most motors nominally rated at 250W can deliver a maximum of circa twice that power in short bursts. The maximum assisted speed of 25kph/15.5mph is an absolute set within the bikes firmware. The competition you refer to is for pedelecs only and excludes Speed Pedelecs and motors not rated at 250 w nominal.

Marjoriefinnegan

Jun 12, 2021
Uk
Thanks, appreciate it🙏
So not actually 250w max then 🙄 This isn't a dig at any of the replies btw.

Regards proving my output, all I could do is show them the controller app at the start which shows all the power settings. No point cheating really....3kw would be quite noticeable😂

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles