Help me with my next eMTB

Haveland

Apr 21, 2022
New Brunswick, Canada
I'm mid-40s, and back into riding this summer on a Giant Stance E+ after about a 15-year break from the sport after a car accident and kids. Looking at changing my bike for next year. Here is what I'm noticing and looking for in a next bike.

1. My current bike is a bit big for me I'm 5'9-5'10 with a 32-33 inseam and just shy of 200 pounds so that puts me right in the middle of Medium/Large and just find this bike a bit large.

2. I bottom out the rear shock too much -- local shock thinks I need to upgrade both shocks, but that's around $2500CDN. We've done tokens, etc. Only way to stop the bottoming out is to go to make PSI but then I basically loose all shock on small/medium stuff.

I ride mostly trail centers and love my bike, but I do find it's holding me back on the black trails. I'm not looking to do downhill parks or double black or anything too extreme, but any jump more than a foot and I'm hitting bump stops. I'm also now riding 2-4 times a week averaging about 75km all off-road a week but no rides are really over 30km

I only ride on Eco+ or normal mode on the giant. I've switched it to Sport only on the most extreme climbs.

So I'm thinking about getting a mid-travel Giant Trance or Norco Sight VLT.. But I'm wondering if I'm actually a good use case for perhaps a Trek Fuel Exe.

I've visited all my local bike shops in about a 1-hour drive, and it looks like I'm pretty limited to: Giant, Trek, Rocky Mountain or Norco. Budget is sub-10k.

Haveland

Apr 21, 2022
New Brunswick, Canada
Sounds like you need the suspension (front and rear) and the cockpit sorted out before investing (aka buying) a new bike.
Totally agree, But I feel like I've come to that point already.

I should mention that is why I've been to so many bike shops. I hoped someone would tell me not to buy a new bike and fix my existing bike. I know it's the bike shop's job to sell me a bike, so I'm taking that into consideration but even a local biker who I really respect said I need at least 140mm but likely a 150mm fox 36 for my area (really chunky rock).

One of my most significant issues with the size of the Giant Stance is the seat tube being 19 inches and the standover being 31 inches. Compare that to a medium trance with a seat tube of 16.7 and standover of 28.6 I could actually straddle the bike. I had to put a 120mm dropped fully inserted to make this current bike work. I bought this size because last winter it was the only emtb within a two days drive in stock. I thought there was going to be zero stock come summer but I was wrong :)

I did have three shops look at the suspension, and each said I need to upgrade the Suntour suspension for my area (Eastern Canada). Two even said they would have buyers for my current bike who are more XC-focused if I was interested in a trade-in, but we haven't chatted price yet.

Not my video, but this is from my local bike and what I mostly ride. These obstacles would be the extend of what I'm looking to tackle. I can clear about half of them but bottom out half the time.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Bottoming out on that stuff must be horrible. If you really can get a decent trade in then the cost of upgrading forks and shock etc. on your bike could cost near the cost of a new bike after trade in.

If the bike feels too big then it is too big, because "feel" matters.

You should try riding buddies bikes on your trails to find what you like best. Then it's a case of what's locally available because LBS support is important.

Good luck.

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
1. My current bike is a bit big for me I'm 5'9-5'10 with a 32-33 inseam and just shy of 200 pounds so that puts me right in the middle of Medium/Large and just find this bike a bit large.
...Budget is sub-10k.
Is there a good Cube dealer in your area?
I have a 160SL in Large (which is Medium-Large at Cube) and have a comparable height/weight.
With the 160mm you never bottom out, and keep a reasonable comfort.

It has 27.5" wheels, for the same riding height with 29" it would have had a higher toptube and steeringbar or would have had less travel. (can be bought as 29" 120sl or 140sl version)

Perfect for me.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles