HELP, creaking, grinding noise when pedaling Canyon Spectral ON

Gareth82

Feb 18, 2020
N. Ireland
Hi all,

I have a 2019 model Canyon spectral ON which up to recently has been a fantastic bike, last month I started to get a grinding, loud creaking, metallic type noise which I thought was from around the crank area and I assumed it was the bearings in the e8000 motor starting to fail, my bike was 9 days out of warranty however Canyon agreed to arrange collection of the bike and inspect it.

After a bit of back and forth with Shinamo, they agreed to replace the drive unit and a new motor was fitted and the bike returned now reading 0 miles. I put the bike back together and took it out on a test run just to find the noise was still there, I have since replaced a few parts after the bike was returned though they made no difference and I cant work out what component has failed, so far the following has been replaced
  • Brand new drive unit
  • New SLX rear 12s cassette
  • New chain
  • New pedals
  • New rear brake pads
I have included a few videos, any help or suggestions to check before I take it to a bike shop (no local bike shops near me and my bike doesn't fit in my car so not the most convenient thing to do) would be greatly appreciated, the noise can be heard with the motor on and turned off and throughout the gears, I can vaguely hear the noise sometimes on the workstand but its not easy to recreate on the stand.

Thanks

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
On my spectralon it was the chainring that caused this kind of noise. I could not get a shimano one and all cheap ones would do the same noise, so I am using a zee sinlge ring, witch is not narrow/wide and the chain runs smooth and silently.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
My bike was making a terrible noise similar to that. I managed to trace it to the seat. Thought the seat was knackered. An old ergon that I have taken over from my last bike. I was at the bike shop looking at all these mega expensive saddles, and the guy in the shop said I should remove my old one, clean the rails and post clamp and try it. It is absolutely silent since then!! :)

Gareth82

Feb 18, 2020
N. Ireland
Hi guys, I am trying to source the correct chainring for my bike though unsure of the chainline or how I find this out, the current one fitted is SM-CRE80-12 34t though there is 2 options 53mm and 56.5mm, how do I know which one I need?

Thanks

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles