Hello from sunny South Wales

Jasonx

Jan 31, 2021
South Wales
hiya bud also a south walean what bike are you waiting on?
Hi Matt. I was looking at the Cube reaction hybrid pro 625
But i'm not sure whether an hardtail will be fine for fireroads , roads and light trails around the Brecon Beacons or do i push my budget up and get a Cube stereo hybrid 120 pro 625.
I currently ride a Ghost lector carbon hardtail and never had a full sus so not really clued up regarding what the best option to go for.

matt_thebeard

Dec 4, 2020
south wales
Hi Matt. I was looking at the Cube reaction hybrid pro 625
But i'm not sure whether an hardtail will be fine for fireroads , roads and light trails around the Brecon Beacons or do i push my budget up and get a Cube stereo hybrid 120 pro 625.
I currently ride a Ghost lector carbon hardtail and never had a full sus so not really clued up regarding what the best option to go for.
i have the stereo hybrid full bouncer ( old back and need the comfort ) and i absolutely love it ! full suss all the way for me for the places i ride tbh if you have the budget i dont think you will be sorry , its literally a go anywhere tank of a bike, if you plan to lift it over many gates its not the lightest compared to your carbon hard tail for sure!! its gona feel like 3 of those but the terrain it can handle amazes me every time i go out and i'm not one of the jump off everything i can see brigade being 50years young very shortly and fairly new to return to biking i was just coming back from riding at barry sidings and a mate invited me to throw a leg over his cube, and within three days id sold the giant analoge i was riding and bought the stereo, if your local ish to the rhondda you'd be more than welcome to try it, its a medium frame, i bought it in november and im still grinning every time i get off it

mud.jpg

Jasonx

Jan 31, 2021
South Wales
i have the stereo hybrid full bouncer ( old back and need the comfort ) and i absolutely love it ! full suss all the way for me for the places i ride tbh if you have the budget i dont think you will be sorry , its literally a go anywhere tank of a bike, if you plan to lift it over many gates its not the lightest compared to your carbon hard tail for sure!! its gona feel like 3 of those but the terrain it can handle amazes me every time i go out and i'm not one of the jump off everything i can see brigade being 50years young very shortly and fairly new to return to biking i was just coming back from riding at barry sidings and a mate invited me to throw a leg over his cube, and within three days id sold the giant analoge i was riding and bought the stereo, if your local ish to the rhondda you'd be more than welcome to try it, its a medium frame, i bought it in november and im still grinning every time i get off it

View attachment 51860
I live just outside Aberdare. My Ghost is a 26" wheel and large frame i think 19" so not sure about the 29" wheels or what frame size i'd need.

matt_thebeard

Dec 4, 2020
south wales
I live just outside Aberdare. My Ghost is a 26" wheel and large frame i think 19" so not sure about the 29" wheels or what frame size i'd need.
my medium 2021 is 27.5 size wheel and 18 frame if that helps, im 5ft 10 and its perfect for me if you were any taller though i would say a large would be better, my mate 5 11 has a large , i may change to riser bars at some point as i seem to dip on climbs a little im not sure what size the large is on the cube the internet is your friend there,

Jasonx

Jan 31, 2021
South Wales
my medium 2021 is 27.5 size wheel and 18 frame if that helps, im 5ft 10 and its perfect for me if you were any taller though i would say a large would be better, my mate 5 11 has a large , i may change to riser bars at some point as i seem to dip on climbs a little im not sure what size the large is on the cube the internet is your friend there,
The cube stereo 120 is only coming up as a 29" option in the shops ive looked at. I think the large is 20" I've always had 26 wheels so unsure what size would be suitable

matt_thebeard

Dec 4, 2020
south wales
The cube stereo 120 is only coming up as a 29" option in the shops ive looked at. I think the large is 20" I've always had 26 wheels so unsure what size would be suitable
tbh its horses for courses im enjoying the fact i've moved up to 27.5 its easier to roll over smaller rocks etc where youd have to lift or lighten the front on smaller wheeled bikes, i did have a cube carbon on 29's and they took some getting used to , i have the stereo 150mm so came with 27.5 i see the 120mm travel has the bigger wheels , depends totally on what terrain your planning on riding what length travel youll need obvs , guess youll need to plan ahead and decide what riding you'll realisticly be doing the price diff in the 120 and the 150 seems to be neither here nor there both around 4k plus mark?

Jasonx

Jan 31, 2021
South Wales
tbh its horses for courses im enjoying the fact i've moved up to 27.5 its easier to roll over smaller rocks etc where youd have to lift or lighten the front on smaller wheeled bikes, i did have a cube carbon on 29's and they took some getting used to , i have the stereo 150mm so came with 27.5 i see the 120mm travel has the bigger wheels , depends totally on what terrain your planning on riding what length travel youll need obvs , guess youll need to plan ahead and decide what riding you'll realisticly be doing the price diff in the 120 and the 150 seems to be neither here nor there both around 4k plus mark?
The 120 is £3199. I was looking at the cube reaction Hardtail but i think i maybe better getting a full sus

matt_thebeard

Dec 4, 2020
south wales
The 120 is £3199. I was looking at the cube reaction Hardtail but i think i maybe better getting a full sus
it totally depends on your riding needs as said ,knowing where we live and the terrain around us, there was only one choice for me as i tend to ride more open mountain etc if fire roads and trails etc is your preferred riding area then the hard tail would be great for both those just not the bigger drops i've not ridden a hard tail in many years so i cant say how they would be at cwm carn or bike park wales etc

i also haven't ridden the beacons as yet so i cant comment on what the trails are like over there, i do plan to hit Brecon wild camping this year and take a weekend to explore the area on the bike though i have walked there a few times.

maybe give someone like Damian Harris a ring in Cardiff and explain to him your situation / choices hes a font of knowledge and was happy to chat to me for quite a bit when i was searching last year, i ended up buying from leasuire lakes in newport after though purely because they happened to have stock of the bike i wanted but at least i knew what i was looking for after a few minutes of picking his brain.

For me- there are places i can take a full suspension that i cant take a hard tail, there isn't anywhere i cant take a full suspension that i could take a hard tail, guessing but the main advantage of a hardtail is lower weight, as the bikes you have mentioned the full suspension bike is the same as or lighter it doesn't really give me advantage ? maybe start a thread on hardtail versus full suspension there are bound to be guys on here who have both and can give you their comparisons better especially if you mention type of terrain around you etc

matt_thebeard

Dec 4, 2020
south wales
theres a thread on here called
WHICH CUBE STEREO HYBRID IS RIGHT FOR ME?
worth a look too
also here but the spec has changed on the 2021 models slightly the shock and forks mainly

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles