Hello from Southern California.

SimiEMTB

Founding Member
Mar 10, 2018
Californai
Riding 2017 Turbo Levo Comp with several changes. One big change is that I’m running the EX1 8 speed. Love it. Throwing it out there in case anyone was considering the change. Also switched out to Shimano Saints. Love them too.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Interested in the EX 8 speed myself. How much does it cost to complete? Is it the entire drivetrain that needs replacing?

SimiEMTB

Founding Member
Mar 10, 2018
Californai
Interested in the EX 8 speed myself. How much does it cost to complete? Is it the entire drivetrain that needs replacing?
Not sure exactly on cost because I swapped parts/got a credit when I bought the bike. Guessing around $600 USD. I believe the cassette doesn’t use the XD driver, so that depends on what you have now on hub. Then you need the chain, shifter and derailleur . I’m using stock 32 praxis chain ring, cranks etc. which work great. Haven’t dropped the chain yet except for when I had a motor mount come loose but that had nothing to do with drive train set up. And I’ve bounced it around quite a bit on rocky trails.

Wasn’t a fan of the stock drivetrain set up on the ebike with multiple gears per shift. I know they changed that for 2018. I’m very happy with the EX set up. Plenty of gear range for me, a lot less shifting and more durable so no broken chains. I still carry the extra master link of course. Which oddly enough I think is the one for the 10 speed SRAM chain.

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
My Meta came with EX1 with a Shimano 34 chainring. I would think a 32 would be too small, myself and others are thinking of going 36.

SimiEMTB

Founding Member
Mar 10, 2018
Californai
My Meta came with EX1 with a Shimano 34 chainring. I would think a 32 would be too small, myself and others are thinking of going 36.
Guess it depends on type of riding one does. Here it’s mostly serious incline, then gravity takes care of the need for larger front ring.

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
I had to go down to a 28 on my stumpjumper 11 speed for climbing.

I hit the speed limit on every ride with a 34 and rarely use the lowest gear. I have no need to change it at this time.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles