Hello From Dallas Pennsylvania.

bilbo

Mar 9, 2018
USA
I've been mountain biking for 30 years,
I'm 62 and contemplating an ebike. I tend to keep my bikes for a long time between upgrades.
Currently I'm riding a 2013 Specialized Camber Comp.
I have a chance to buy a 2017 Specialized Levo FSR 6 Fattie for US $3500 (total out the door). It's a Demo bike.
It's a huge purchase for me and I'm concerned about : 1) obsolescence: I know you have to jump in sometime, but will I regret this later?
2) Battery and motor : Will I be able to get the parts to fix or upgrade them the future?
3) Warranty: not sure how Spec will treat this, but the serial number has never been registered.
Opinions appreciated.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I'm 62 and contemplating an ebike. I tend to keep my bikes for a long time between upgrades.
I have a chance to buy a 2017 Specialized Levo FSR 6 Fattie for US $3500 (total out the door). It's a Demo bike.
It's a huge purchase for me and I'm concerned about : 1) obsolescence: I know you have to jump in sometime, but will I regret this later?
2) Battery and motor : Will I be able to get the parts to fix or upgrade them the future?
3) Warranty: not sure how Spec will treat this, but the serial number has never been registered.
Opinions appreciated.
Welcome Take a look at the motobecane Varaxis has just recently bought in the US and featured in a thread here looks like amazing value for the high spec

kcarbon

Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
australia
Opinions appreciated.

Welcome bilbo, I have a 2018 fsr levo. first get the mission control app on your smart phone or ask the shop selling the demo to hook up there smart phone via mission control. what you look at is diagnose , you can see battery health plus how many times battery has been charged as they say a total of 700 charges from new. ( don't let this scare you, as mine does not count if I recharge & battery has only used say 20% ) but looking at battery health important!! then look at how many miles the bike has been ridden & check rear cluster for wear also ask shop to measure chain for stretch. if it all checks out ok. buy and enjoy. I have 2,240km ( about 1,330 miles ) trouble free still on original chain.

bilbo

Mar 9, 2018
USA
Thanks. I had already downloaded the app, but didn't know I could check that out.

kcarbon

Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
australia
Thanks. I had already downloaded the app, but didn't know I could check that out.

the app not hard to use you just need to register ( login name and password )
when you get in you find menus , scroll down to settings, then scroll down to my bike, you have the battery mounted in bike, have it turned on, not important if fully charged or not as long as some of the lights are on. settings, my bike, you won't see the bike you go up to right corner see + edit, click on +. the number you see is the battery's number, once it's on go back to menus, scroll up next one up from settings is diagnose, scroll down click battery scroll up & down there tell's you what you need to know, also tells you total miles traveled from new.

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
If buying from a shop, they should provide you with warranty info. If it doesn't have a standard factory warranty, I would pass.
I doubt there will be any upgrades in the future for older models.
You will be able to source parts for repair.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles