Hello from Belgium from me and my dogho

TheProfessorBE

Mar 18, 2022
Belgium
Hi there,

I bought an emtb second hand to go outdoors with my dog. She loves running, and we go off road in the forests around the area where we live. Never have owned an mtb before. So far, it is an awesome experience.

Obligatory doggo pic included. Her top speed so far is 36 kmh.

I do have one question. The bike has a Bosch motor and some kind of speed tuning device. Not sure which one. Is there a way to find out which device is in there? The bike is around 5 years old.

Ps no worries, I am well familiar with doggo health, and take great care for her joints.

20220317_130052.jpg

20220308_135738.jpg

TheProfessorBE

Mar 18, 2022
Belgium
Kind of.. I accidentally turned it off yesterday during a ride. the bike stopped accelerating at 25km/h. I shut down the bike, and then on again, and it accelerated again to 35/h. I think it would be nice to know what gear one is running, to better understand the behavior and how to fix things.

So opening motor cover is the way to go?

TheProfessorBE

Mar 18, 2022
Belgium
That happened purely by accident. I put my helmet on the control buttons (the + and -), while fumbling for my phone. After that, it was switched off. At home, I tried the +-+- thing, and the walk button thing, but that did not do anything really.

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Early dongles were just a Jack plug that plugged into the speed sensor cable and would normally be visible cable tied to the swing arm but may have been tucked away. These would be permanently on.
Then came dongles like PearTune where a set of button pushed would always be required. Normally walk, walk + or walk ++
Next came SpeedBox 1, 2 and 3 with walk, walk + and Walk ++
BadAss that you would see strapped to your swingarm again.
Then VOLspeed etc.
None of these turn off manually, they are all either permanently on or require restarting each time the bike is switched on. I think either yours is starting to fail or you have something a bit different that I haven't heard of yet?

TheProfessorBE

Mar 18, 2022
Belgium
Well, let's hope that it is not breaking down :) On a ride today, nothing bad happened. I will keep these things in the back of my mind. I have asked the previous owners whether they know more about the setup. When I hear back from them, I'll post it here for sure! When the bike goes to the mechanic for maintenance, I'll ask him to look under the motor cover to check if there is a device plugged in.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles