Helicoil crank arm pedal insert?

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
Has anyone successfully done this?
It's for a kid I know just to get him away. I mentioned it to a mate but we both discounted it as probably too week then I found some kits so must be a valid repair.

JMD

Jul 26, 2019
Staffordshire
Has anyone successfully done this?
It's for a kid I know just to get him away. I mentioned it to a mate but we both discounted it as probably too week then I found some kits so must be a valid repair.
It's a valid repair, if done correctly will be as good if not better than original.
But should really get a machine shop or pro to do the job, drilling the hole & cutting the new thread for the insert needs to be done correctly (straight). Get it slightly wrong you've got a wobble pedal.

Probably easier & cheaper to buy a new arm

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Kids bike cranksets are cheap as. It's finding a suitable replacement that's the hard part.
Try sjscycles.

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
The kids 15 so a proper mtb (Whyte I think). I've looked online but don't have the bike at hand to see whats on it.

Andrie

May 20, 2020
NorCal
Helicoil and timeserts are proper thread repair. We use it for a lot of racing applications even as critical as engine building, including head bolts which require a lot of torque. I would not hesitate to use it for thread repair. That being said a proper repair is necessary and that depends on the operator. A competent mechanic should be able to do it with hand tools.

Happydog

Dec 16, 2020
Ireland
I agree with Andrie, I have used them many times on motorcycles down the years.

Had a Suzuki Bandit once we're the previous owner striped two of the four spark plug threads and I repaired them with a helicoil. Bike is still going with no problems even after replacing the spark plugs a few times.

There are plenty of good tutorial videos on YouTube and they normally come in a kit with the correct drill bit, tap and a few of the coils. So you could always have a practice on an old piece of metal or an old crank arm.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles