Headset problem

David Benson

Aug 5, 2021
Blackpool
Hi, sold my cube to my friend and he's tried to fit a longer handlebar stem but the top cap is just spinning, it wont tighten or loosen and the forks are still attatched, I presume the thing the alen bolts goes onto is spinning ?
How can I get it undone or stop the broken bit spinning ?
Thanks ??
IMG_2206.jpg

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
There's a star nut down in the steerer tube that's made of three pieces that are peened together. They've probably come loose, and the threaded piece is just spinning around. Pry with upward pressure under the top cap, and maybe that will provide sufficient friction that you can loosen it up. Careful not to bugger up your stem.

If all that fails, maybe you can get it loose enough where you can use a hacksaw to chop off the bolt. Usually they're just aluminum. It doesn't matter if you wreck it. Star nuts are cheap. Aluminum bolts are cheap. Top caps are cheap.

In the future, don't tighten the screw much. I don't know the specs, but it's just for providing preload to your headset bearings. Anti-seize on aluminum fasteners is always a wise choice.

s-l300.jpg

David Benson

Aug 5, 2021
Blackpool
That's great, thanks for the advice, I did manage to lever the top cap up a bit but it still didnt loosen so will try again and get it further up, thanks

David Benson

Aug 5, 2021
Blackpool
Try some epoxy to fix the bolt to the top cap, and drill the bolt out?
I can drill the head of the bolt off no problem but was worried it would still not come apart and I’d be stuck, if the bolt head is drilled off will the fork come out and I can fit new star nut and Alan bolt ?

not sure on the glue method how does that work ?

cheers

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
If you can drill out the bolt head enough, you can take the top cap off. I suggested the glue as a way of getting more of a grip on the bolt head to stop it turning as you try and drill it

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Nae bother. Once you get the cap off and remove the fork, just drive the start fangled nut out from the top of the steerer tube. As someone noted above, replacements are as cheap as chips. I fitted a Hope Hed Doctor, bit of expensive bling, but I had one to hand.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
You don't even need to remove the old star nut unless you really care about weight. Just drive another one in right on top of it. It won't hurt a thing to leave the old one in there.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
That reminds me - last time I installed one I used a drift, same diameter as the hole. This held the nut upright while I trapped it in with my TFA (tool fine adjusting). I also pushed a blanking plug into the bottom of the steerer tube to stop gunge getting up and possibly corroding the nut. A pound from e-bay.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Just release the stem from the steerer. If the centre threaded tube of the star nut has become detatched from the star sections the forks should drop leaving the top cap and bolt with that threaded tube attached. If the centre threaded tube is still attached but rotating, a gentle pull on the forks should release it.

David Benson

Aug 5, 2021
Blackpool
So I drilled it out and it worked fine, knocked it out of the steerer/ head tube with a long extension bar and out it popped, happy days, thanks for all the advice ??

one last question, the head tube hole measured at 0.094 inches so does that mean I need a 1” star nut ?

cheers

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
it's a joke that they use such poor materials on bike that cost so much :mad:
I've always used a plug in the bottom of the steerer tube, the one that comes with the EDC kit. such a simple thing but is saves so much crap getting sprayed up into the steerer

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
it's a joke that they use such poor materials on bike that cost so much :mad:
I've always used a plug in the bottom of the steerer tube, the one that comes with the EDC kit. such a simple thing but is saves so much crap getting sprayed up into the steerer
Where do you get your plugs from?
I have used plugs that fishermen use to cap the ends of their fibreglass (carbon fibre?) fishing rod sections.
I am currently using the cap off a large packet of Smarties!

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
Where do you get your plugs from?
I have used plugs that fishermen use to cap the ends of their fibreglass (carbon fibre?) fishing rod sections.
I am currently using the cap off a large packet of Smarties!
I just use the ones that come with the EDC top cap, as I use the EDC tool in my steerer

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles