Levo Gen 3 Headset adjusment

Amelia

Mar 22, 2022
Peterborough
Hi newbie here .could someone possibly explain how I can adjust /tighten the headset on my 2022 levo expert as it’s started to knock and it’s really annoying me cheers

akira

Dec 9, 2021
SanDiego
Hi newbie here .could someone possibly explain how I can adjust /tighten the headset on my 2022 levo expert as it’s started to knock and it’s really annoying me cheers
Loosen you stem bolts where it clamps to the steering tube so stem rotates freely. Use your SWAT tool 5mm hex and tighten the bottom cap bolt underneath the steering tube to between 3nM and 5nM. Then re-torque the stem bolts on the steering tube. Be sure that your bars still rotate in the headset freely. My headset was also knocking and have my SWAT bottom cap bolt torqued to about 4nM.

Here's the SWAT user manual: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwihoda3h9r2AhXQJzQIHYgdAdYQFnoECAUQAQ&url=https://www.mtb-news.de/news/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/0000086993.pdf&usg=AOvVaw1JafoPUf5fW_O_7DPl8mJx

Sanzun

May 31, 2022
Spain
Loosen you stem bolts where it clamps to the steering tube so stem rotates freely. Use your SWAT tool 5mm hex and tighten the bottom cap bolt underneath the steering tube to between 3nM and 5nM. Then re-torque the stem bolts on the steering tube. Be sure that your bars still rotate in the headset freely. My headset was also knocking and have my SWAT bottom cap bolt torqued to about 4nM.

Here's the SWAT user manual: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwihoda3h9r2AhXQJzQIHYgdAdYQFnoECAUQAQ&url=https://www.mtb-news.de/news/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/0000086993.pdf&usg=AOvVaw1JafoPUf5fW_O_7DPl8mJx

great, I didn’t know all the functions of the SWATT bottom cap, thanks for the contribution is very useful.

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
I don't know if this is common, but my headset will creak when it is too loose or too tight (carbon frame, FWIW). When it starts creaking, I'll add 1/6 turn (one hex wrench flat). Sometimes that quiets the creak. If that doesn't fix the creak, I'll add another 1/6 turn. If it still creaks and the bolt seems unreasonably tight, I loosen it until it's sloppy, then make it snug (about 2 Nm). If it still creaks, I'll tighten another flat.

It will typically stay creak free for several months, then I have to go around the loop again.

There seems to be a torque sweet spot, but it changes over time. Sometimes making it tighter stops the creak, sometimes starting over at just-snug stops the creak.

Also FWIW, I've tried going 1/6 turn looser to fix a creak, but that has never worked. 1/6 turn tighter usually works, at least for a little while.

akira

Dec 9, 2021
SanDiego
I don't know if this is common, but my headset will creak when it is too loose or too tight (carbon frame, FWIW). When it starts creaking, I'll add 1/6 turn (one hex wrench flat). Sometimes that quiets the creak. If that doesn't fix the creak, I'll add another 1/6 turn. If it still creaks and the bolt seems unreasonably tight, I loosen it until it's sloppy, then make it snug (about 2 Nm). If it still creaks, I'll tighten another flat.

It will typically stay creak free for several months, then I have to go around the loop again.

There seems to be a torque sweet spot, but it changes over time. Sometimes making it tighter stops the creak, sometimes starting over at just-snug stops the creak.

Also FWIW, I've tried going 1/6 turn looser to fix a creak, but that has never worked. 1/6 turn tighter usually works, at least for a little while.
Mine also creaked and the torque spec to get rid of the creak was a moving target. I ended up replacing the SWAT Stem tool with the OneUp EDC V2 Stem tool and it has been problem free.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles