Having a gearing problem with my Giant Full E+1 (2018)

Toneee

Mar 30, 2021
Germany
Hi All,

I hope someone can help, I’ve been having a couple of issues toward the end of my last ride with the chain jumping when peddling in the highest (smallest gear). I decided to fix it today and got my bike out to see what the problem was, only to notice the teeth on the cassette were a bit weird, weird shapes and looks like some were worn but then others had really nice sharp edges and looked brand new.

Does anyone have a picture of the teeth on their giant full e to compare against. (I’ll be honest I didn’t pay much attention when the bike was new to how they looked, just set it up and rode)

Ill try and get a clear picture tomorrow with the rear wheel removed.

Thanks

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
How many miles? The teeth have a measure of shapes to assist shifting. Its very hard to gauge a cassette for wear by looking at it. At least I can't.

Skipping, can be caused when I new chain is installed on a worn cassette, but it can also be a host of other things, like a bent derailleur hanger, poor derailleur adjustment, or shift cable adjustment.

I once installed a quick link upside down- I think is was a SRAM 12 speed chain- that caused a skip everytime the quick link hit the small cog.

Toneee

Mar 30, 2021
Germany
Less than 500km I would say.

I found the original part number of the cassette and found a closeup of the exact same one and the teeth are weird on that too so guess it’s as you said that it’s supposed to be like that :)
Ill have to check the alignment + adjustments again from scratch tomorrow and see if it makes any difference.

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Less than 500km I would say.

I found the original part number of the cassette and found a closeup of the exact same one and the teeth are weird on that too so guess it’s as you said that it’s supposed to be like that :)
Ill have to check the alignment + adjustments again from scratch tomorrow and see if it makes any difference.
Depending on conditions and use, it is certainly possible to wear out both a cassette and chain, in 500 miles.

In the winter, my chain, if one without hardened pins, will show 5% elongation as low as 300 miles. Winter in Kentucky is wet sticky clay- mandatory cleaning every ride.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles