Have a feeling I won't be riding my bike any time soon >.>

tartu71

Aug 4, 2020
EE
I had the exact same motor mount break off after about 700 km.
There is no carbon around that bolt hole. It looks like it entirely consists of that epoxy resin or whatever they use in making frames.
I was super surprised to discover that the rear motor mounts are so tiny and slim.

Currently waiting after the reseller to hopefully get a replacement frame.
Third week since I reported the issue - they still say they are waiting for Cube to respond back to them....

Phal44

Jul 5, 2020
South East
There is no carbon around that bolt hole. It looks like it entirely consists of that epoxy resin or whatever they use in making frames.
I was super surprised to discover that the rear motor mounts are so tiny and slim.

Third week since I reported the issue - they still say they are waiting for Cube to respond back to them....

Yeah, Cube don't seem great at communication. It's a shame, I like the bike but right now I'd never but another Cube again.

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
I personaly deal any issues with local shop were I bought my bikes (3 e-cubes so far) . Allways responsive and rapid. No problems so far.

Phal44

Jul 5, 2020
South East
I personaly deal any issues with local shop were I bought my bikes (3 e-cubes so far) . Allways responsive and rapid. No problems so far.

That's fine but still doesn't change the fact that Cube support is a bag of dicks :/ Wouldn't want to reward them

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
I never mess with thinks in warranty period. Allways send it to store/seller to deal with it . Don´t want to risk voiding warranty.

Phal44

Jul 5, 2020
South East
I never mess with thinks in warranty period. Allways send it to store/seller to deal with it . Don´t want to risk voiding warranty.
That's my point though, warranties are only as good as the company who provides them. As good as your local shop might be, if Cube are useless then why bother with them?

This was my first Cube bike and will be my last. Why would I bother again when there's plenty of other brands that haven't shown me how crap they are yet lol

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
Unfortunately I'm on the disabled list, too. Had a hard fall resulting in a rotator cuff injury 3 days ago. Unable to life my arm due to the pain and doctor has ordered a MRI, but actually noticed a little bit of improvement this afternoon. If I see more improvement in the morning I'm going to consult with the doctor. Hopefully I can avoid an expensive test, and surgery.

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
Contact local Cube shop today to ask for schedule regular maintenance. As usuall very responsive service. They said for urgent/rapid fix issue I can show up any time. Due to Covid and Summer time to a full maintence, they apologise, but schedule is needed in about 2 weeks time :)

motopsycho87

Jul 18, 2020
Ipswich, Suffolk
I think it is worth remembering that the majority of Europe still has variable degrees of lockdown, and MTB / eMTB sales have exploded exponentially due to this. I've developed a nittchy feeling cream on my 160sl so I'm hoping this is the case...!

Phal44

Jul 5, 2020
South East
Contact local Cube shop today to ask for schedule regular maintenance. As usuall very responsive service. They said for urgent/rapid fix issue I can show up any time. Due to Covid and Summer time to a full maintence, they apologise, but schedule is needed in about 2 weeks time :)
Help from your local Cube affiliated shop doesn't make up for the fact they can't seem to work out how to send an email but I'm glad you're enjoying your Cube experience.

Mine so far has been piss-poor. If they don't want people contacting them directly then there are easier ways.

Phal44

Jul 5, 2020
South East

You get anywhere with yours? I finally fixed the creaking by tightening the motor mount bolts (small ones the fix the mounting brackets to the motor, not the big ones that go into the frame). When I had the motor out, that back eye hole where the first bolt came loose is looking even worse on mine now.

bonzi1994

Aug 10, 2020
italy
bosch gen 4 (CX and cargo) should be torque at 20nm on the frame

Cattura.PNG

bonzi1994

Aug 10, 2020
italy
See I've seen different figures to those and was told different by a Cube dealer. Where did you get these figures out of interest?
bosch private area for dealer on their website, 30nm is for bosch gen 3(active and performance line)

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Presumably assuming ally frame. Will be different for carbon? Motor mounts on the ally Levo/ Brose motor are 18nm

Phal44

Jul 5, 2020
South East
Why are these figures not bloody published? They publish all the suspension linkage torques even though it's printer on each bolt and then they hide this shit and won't reply to emails when I ask.

Useless

Not as if they even tell you to check these bolts. One of my main motor bolts came loose and then half of those smaller bracket bolts were loose when I checked at the weekend.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
To state the obvious a bolt does not come loose for no reason. A bolt subject to vibration should be thread locked......most low torque bolts should be threadlocked. If they come loose they were probably not threadlocked in the first place or the bolt was not clean if it was. Either way, just tightening the bolt will only yield short term results. Once threadlock is disturbed it is no longer effective. So the bolt should be removed, cleaned, and fresh thtradlock applied.....and left for 24 hours to create a proper bond.

Phal44

Jul 5, 2020
South East
To state the obvious a bolt does not come loose for no reason. A bolt subject to vibration should be thread locked......most low torque bolts should be threadlocked. If they come loose they were probably not threadlocked in the first place or the bolt was not clean if it was. Either way, just tightening the bolt will only yield short term results. Once threadlock is disturbed it is no longer effective. So the bolt should be removed, cleaned, and fresh thtradlock applied.....and left for 24 hours to create a proper bond.
Yeah, I threadlocked everything the first time I took them out but didn't bother more recently because I thought the stupid creaking would still be there but it wasn't.

bonzi1994

Aug 10, 2020
italy
Why are these figures not bloody published? They publish all the suspension linkage torques even though it's printer on each bolt and then they hide this shit and won't reply to emails when I ask.

Useless

Not as if they even tell you to check these bolts. One of my main motor bolts came loose and then half of those smaller bracket bolts were loose when I checked at the weekend.
there is a comunication from bosch that some motor have problem with the bolt on the engine, you should reapply threadlock but WITHOUT take the bolt off completly (max 8/9 turn)

Phal44

Jul 5, 2020
South East
there is a comunication from bosch that some motor have problem with the bolt on the engine, you should reapply threadlock but WITHOUT take the bolt off completly (max 8/9 turn)

My creaking is resolved now that the smaller pentalobe bolts that hold the brackets onto the motor were tightened but they had come loose as well as the motor mounting bolts.

Pretty sure there was some kind of threadlock used since there was residue the first time I get those bigger TP40 bolts out.

The bolt that came loose was the right rear TP40 bolt so I wonder if that eye snapped off for Tartu was also damaged with mine :/

IanVersion2

Jun 12, 2020
Stroud, Glos, UK
Hi @Phal44 , am I right in thinking you're still riding this bike with that busted up motor mount? Like, I'm not wanting to criticise but I really think you should get some help with this before you have a catastrophe. I just skimmed back over your posts and I'm a bit worried your either gonna have a nasty failure crash or a big bill (or both) heading your way if you carry on as you are.

Don't bury your head in the sand dude. If it's not right you need to get it sorted, one way or the other.

Phal44

Jul 5, 2020
South East
Hi @Phal44 , am I right in thinking you're still riding this bike with that busted up motor mount? Like, I'm not wanting to criticise but I really think you should get some help with this before you have a catastrophe. I just skimmed back over your posts and I'm a bit worried your either gonna have a nasty failure crash or a big bill (or both) heading your way if you carry on as you are.

Don't bury your head in the sand dude, if it's not right you need to get it sorted one way or the other.

It's not busted per se but you can see it's not quite right. I'm not really riding it on trails atm either, just a short commute to work since that was also what I bought it for :/ It's not in danger of failing since the other 5 bolt holes are still fine.

That being said, I definitely don't play to use it like this forever. Can't believe Cube haven't been able to get back to me yet.

IanVersion2

Jun 12, 2020
Stroud, Glos, UK
It's not busted per se but you can see it's not quite right. I'm not really riding it on trails atm either, just a short commute to work since that was also what I bought it for :/ It's not in danger of failing since the other 5 bolt holes are still fine.

That being said, I definitely don't play to use it like this forever. Can't believe Cube haven't been able to get back to me yet.
Just as long as it is safe and you're not doing further damage. Sounds like you've had some shitty luck. Not sure what your plan is, but if it's to try a warranty claim I would get the process started sooner rather than later, even if that means you'll be without the bike for a while. I have no experience in dealing with Cube whatsoever, but some companies can get very funny if you continue to use a product you claim is defective.

Phal44

Jul 5, 2020
South East
Just as long as it is safe and you're not doing further damage. Sounds like you've had some shitty luck. Not sure what your plan is, but if it's to try a warranty claim I would get the process started sooner rather than later, even if that means you'll be without the bike for a while. I have no experience in dealing with Cube whatsoever, but some companies can get very funny if you continue to use a product you claim is defective.
Yeah, I've been trying to get in touch with them for about a month now but the best I've gotten is "We've passed your email to the service department". I keep chasing and the latest reply was them telling me they'd passed it to the service department again and that was a week ago.

The Cube definitely looked good on paper with the value for money but I guess they just forgot to hire competant staff who can actually help customers as a trade-off.

tartu71

Aug 4, 2020
EE
Photo of rear engine mount that snapped off. This thing would not be strong enough even for a city bike. Let alone a 160mm "enduro" weapon.

20200812_101731.jpg

I also discovered that my frame appears to be about 1mm wider (than engine brackets) at rear mounts, so when the mounts are tightened, it squeezes the frame. Have not dismonuted the engine to double check this yet...

20200812_101829.jpg

IanVersion2

Jun 12, 2020
Stroud, Glos, UK
Yep, I agree. Sorry dude, but I don't think you're doing yourself any favours continuing to dismantle it yourself. You're going to end up being denied a warranty claim because it's been tampered with too much. I dread to think how much a frame is to buy as a replacement.

JimB

Jul 19, 2019
Basingstoke
I’ve had my cube stereo hybrid 16O TM for about 2 months. I’ve done just under 500 miles and I have a loud creaking coming from the bottom bracket. I’ve not opened it up to have a look at it myself but I watched a German You Tube video about this today. The guy removed the motor and re touched the bolts that hold the brackets to the motor and then re mounted the motor. I was going to attempt this myself as it looked easy enough but reading these posts I’ve changed my mind. Back to the shop it is. link below, it’s in German but you get the gist.

JimB

Jul 19, 2019
Basingstoke
You get anywhere with yours? I finally fixed the creaking by tightening the motor mount bolts (small ones the fix the mounting brackets to the motor, not the big ones that go into the frame). When I had the motor out, that back eye hole where the first bolt came loose is looking even worse on mine now.

it’s shows them on the link below

JimB

Jul 19, 2019
Basingstoke
This video shows you the bolts to tighten. I have the same problem but as it still under warranty, I’m leaving well alone and taking it back to the shop.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles