Has the 2nd hand market bubble finally burst ?

Rich the gasman

E*POWAH Master
May 4, 2019
North east
Just wondering on all’s thoughts really and it’s raining outside.

been watching the market and in the last month there’s over 150 more e bikes for sale on pink bike than there was in July and some crazy pricing still but nothing shifting. I had to take a loss on my SL as there was so many for sale that just weren’t selling. So has the covid bubble finally burst ? Shops have lots of stock of 2019/2020 models. Hoping this can start to drive the prices down from new over the next 12 months and make it accessible for many people who just can’t drop 5-6k on a poor spec e bike of there choice.

how much would you spend 2nd hand with limited time left on warranty ?
ive seen 2019 levo experts over £6500, I didn’t even pay that new!
manufacturers Should offer a trade in policy, especially on older models and help recycle the older bikes.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
No man. Trust me. Bike prices aren't falling anytime soon.

As you seem to have noticed, most Ebike owners ask far too much when selling their used bikes so it's not surprising they don't sell quickly (outside Surrey ;) )

Burnsey

Aug 27, 2021
North West UK
I found, looking recently for new, the differential between new/used wasn't enough to make me consider used.

Yes, some have 'only 500 miles', but who knows how they looked after it on those miles?

Plus, the financing is easier on new I guess (I saved and bought, but no issue with finance). I also didn't buy with any value retention in mind.

Burnsey

Aug 27, 2021
North West UK
I think thats the trick. I assume the bike will be worthless when I'm done with it, that way I dont get too precious over it. That said, I would like it to last a few years...

If you factor in depreciation, my bike is note expensive to run than my car on a per mile basis!

To be fair, I had a professional firm PPF the bike, so agree, nothing wrong with looking after a bike, but my mentality was to buy the best bike you can afford in terms of components as I'm no handyman, but know how to keep it clean and well maintained.

That said I am now looking at Kashima seat posts to match the forks and shock :LOL:

A1000

Aug 16, 2021
UK
Warranties aren't transferable are they?

It's one where you need to read the small print! With Spesh (in UK) the original purchaser gets lifetime warranty for some things if they register, but the second owner only gets 2 years. Battery - 2yrs or 300 charge cycles whichever the soonest ..... so worth checking. Atleast Spesh make it pretty simple to understand with a nice table (y)

Funkeydunk

Subscriber
May 28, 2019
Uk
Trying to find the right selling price for your bike is a challenge, we’re seeing bikes sell for more than new then people undercut by selling thousands cheaper for the same bike. I guess bike are worth what people will pay.

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
To be fair, I had a professional firm PPF the bike, so agree, nothing wrong with looking after a bike, but my mentality was to buy the best bike you can afford in terms of components as I'm no handyman, but know how to keep it clean and well maintained.

That said I am now looking at Kashima seat posts to match the forks and shock :LOL:
do it. the standard one will break soon enough anyway. ;)
1630267351448.png

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
It's one where you need to read the small print! With Spesh (in UK) the original purchaser gets lifetime warranty for some things if they register, but the second owner only gets 2 years. Battery - 2yrs or 300 charge cycles whichever the soonest ..... so worth checking. Atleast Spesh make it pretty simple to understand with a nice table (y)

how do I register my Specialized?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
It should have been explained by the LBS when you bought the bike.

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
Wtf? I had no idea.
Me neither. Just went to that link though and was told that my bike is already registered. Either:
- The bike shop registered it on my behalf. Nice!
- I did it and forgot due to brain getting addled. Not so nice.

Either way, I'm covered (y)

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
Trying to find the right selling price for your bike is a challenge, we’re seeing bikes sell for more than new then people undercut by selling thousands cheaper for the same bike. I guess bike are worth what people will pay.

there are a lot of variable to consider. I've seen some bikes that appear to be in showroom condition, and have odometer screenshots of 50 miles use, all the paperwork and not a scratch on the bike anywhere so people ask 90% of the selling price which seems fair if you exclude the lack of warranty
then theres the bikes that have been used and abused, and when they go up for sale the seller searches the market, sees the bike above and thinks ok my bike is worth that too and lists it for the same high price...
and then theres the people who think they can make a bit of extra money when they realise there is a massive demand for them, and they are sold out everywhere so they list for the same price they paid or maybe even more

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
When I first connected to the bike it said did I want to register. Perhaps give them a call direct, if you've got proof of purchase they can updae their records?
I've added proof of purchase. ?

jsmith811

Feb 22, 2020
Ky
Just wondering on all’s thoughts really and it’s raining outside.

been watching the market and in the last month there’s over 150 more e bikes for sale on pink bike than there was in July and some crazy pricing still but nothing shifting. I had to take a loss on my SL as there was so many for sale that just weren’t selling. So has the covid bubble finally burst ? Shops have lots of stock of 2019/2020 models. Hoping this can start to drive the prices down from new over the next 12 months and make it accessible for many people who just can’t drop 5-6k on a poor spec e bike of there choice.

how much would you spend 2nd hand with limited time left on warranty ?
ive seen 2019 levo experts over £6500, I didn’t even pay that new!
manufacturers Should offer a trade in policy, especially on older models and help recycle the older bikes.
I think the covid bubble is definitely bursting. I deal with KTM, Suzuki and Yamaha MX bikes on a regular basis, as well as a few used LEVOs. I have a 2021 KTM 300 that's been sitting at 8900 with 20 hrs on it. Six months ago this would of sold in 3 days for 10,200 used.

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
The trouble with used e-bikes is the paucity of aftermarket replacement parts at a reasonable price. For most regular non-e-bikes parts other than the actual frame can be substituted and are usually switched out by owners for personal preference. The electronics including e bike motors need to come from the dealer or the manufacturer and they really haven't gone big on supplying an adequate amount of in reasonably priced parts that are easily obtainable so that you can figure out that when things go wrong with your ebike you can easily take that part out and stick a new one in. That's definitely impacts what these bikes are going to be worth once this acute shortage subsides. For 5 to 13, 000 dollars pounds or whatever you're measuring, you should be able to easily maintain these bikes for a very long time at reasonable prices. Unfortunately it's not the case and it's closer to say a John Deere tractor we're only John Deere can fix it because they have the technology to even diagnose the problem for what I've read I'm not a farmer. Add to that the fact that as people above mentioned warranties are not transferable except in rare cases they've created a situation where you buy a beautiful shiny new thing that has a future if not in your garage that is murky. Right now that's working for the manufacturers because everyone's dying to buy one of these and are willing to take the risk of expensive repairs just to get their hands on them. But at the same time people are looking at the prices and going wait a second what happens if something goes wrong with it so therefore all of them are just sitting there overpriced and not moving. The manufacturers that begin to loosen up and address the concerns I've raised will have long-term success.

Big07

Aug 23, 2020
Australia
I don't think the 2nd hand market has popped just yet.

I've seen a few 2020 Trek powerfly 9.7 bikes for sale advertised at around $6000-$6200. Now that bike, when sold brand new from a shop was $6000 (but marked as RRP$8000 'on sale'). The crazy thing is that they are selling for $5.5k. That seems insane to me.
This is in Australia, so it might be different in other parts of the world. Maybe in the Northern Hemisphere as winter approaches people are selling their summer toys.

cabbynate

Sep 30, 2019
Las Vegas NV
Warranties aren't transferable are they? I know giant's aren't. What with 0% finance and now 3yrs warranty offered on motor my mate bought new instead of used.
Specialized warranties the motor to the second buyer. It's a continuation of whats left from the original purchaser. Not sure about other brands.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles