Happy to be here and a question for the vets

Sid Duffman

Aug 23, 2022
San Jose, CA
Hi all,

I'm passionate about mountain biking and ride whenever I can find the time. I'm slowly coming around to the idea of ebikes. I wouldn't say I've been "anti-ebike" like some folks are, but I have been skeptical of them and admit to feeling a hint of smugness riding my "real" MTB alongside ebikes. But being honest with myself, my favorite days on the bike have involved either shuttles or chairlifts, so it's hypocritical for me to look down my nose at ebikes ;)

Although I don't mind climbing, I live for the descents and if given the opportunity to get 2 or 3x the descending for the same climbing effort, I'll take it every time. With this realization, eMTB seems an obvious choice and I've started looking into options.

I'm really intrigued by the lighter, low powered choices like the Trek Fuel EXe, Specialized SL models, and especially the upcoming Transition Relay as I'm a transition fan-boy and have a Sentinel and PBJ dirt jumper. But when these lower power bikes are the same price or more expensive than full powered bikes, I wonder if I should just go for full power. The lack of power doesn't concern me, but the lower Wh of the batteries does. I'd like to get as many laps in as possible!

My question for the vets is: do you get used to the heaviness of the full power bikes? I love popping off of every little bump, manualling, etc. . . and I found that to be really difficult the one time I rode an eMTB. Maybe it's just a lack of strength or familiarity and you eventually adapt? I've heard guys who ride motos say they aren't bothered by the heaviness of ebikes. Are you able to still ride with a 'playful' style on the heavier ebikes?

TIA

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Approximately 4minutes after I handed my OG Kenevo to a ebike hating, transition fanboy buddy, on a jump he’d never ridden or even seen before:
8B91FE68-ECCF-4AA4-8A98-B9F00A2DC785.jpeg

He grudgingly admitted it was quite good, and he was amazed how the weight of the ebike disappeared and how fast the thing was down trails. I’ve been riding this for 4 years, and the only time I noticed the weight is on fast flow trails at bike park wales, where you felt the weight when changing direction in the berms. Most of the time I ride tech and natural trails, so it’s not been an issue.

Since then I’ve bought a Kenevo SL too, which is a lot more bike-feeling, for a rider who wants something playful it’s the way I’d go, maybe with a couple of range extenders in the car. It’s more like a enduro bike that happens to be really easy to ride up hills.

Sid Duffman

Aug 23, 2022
San Jose, CA
Approximately 4minutes after I handed my OG Kenevo to a ebike hating, transition fanboy buddy, on a jump he’d never ridden or even seen before:
View attachment 95577
He grudgingly admitted it was quite good, and he was amazed how the weight of the ebike disappeared and how fast the thing was down trails. I’ve been riding this for 4 years, and the only time I noticed the weight is on fast flow trails at bike park wales, where you felt the weight when changing direction in the berms. Most of the time I ride tech and natural trails, so it’s not been an issue.

Since then I’ve bought a Kenevo SL too, which is a lot more bike-feeling, for a rider who wants something playful it’s the way I’d go, maybe with a couple of range extenders in the car. It’s more like a enduro bike that happens to be really easy to ride up hills.

Nice, your buddy sounds like a good dude!

"It’s more like a enduro bike that happens to be really easy to ride up hills." <-- That's exactly what I'm wanting. Love the idea of the range extenders in the car. That hadn't occurred to me, but my favorite trails are setup to do laps passing by the parking lot, so this should work out great.

Reactions: Dax

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Although I don't mind climbing, I live for the descents and if given the opportunity to get 2 or 3x the descending for the same climbing effort, I'll take it every time.

I only want one bike. With a FF eBike there are obvious compromises having only one bike, but overall this ^^^.

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
I only want one rr bike. With a FF eBike there are obvious compromises having only one bike, but overall this ^^^.

If I had to only have one bike, it would be the KSL (or another lightweight ebike) no question. The improvement in ride is worth the reduction in range/power, but I find I do about the same length rides as I do on my FF Kenevo, last time was 21miles/3700ft on the ksl using the internal battery.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles