handle bar width on 2020 Levo

jim_m5

Jan 19, 2020
woodstock, ga
anybody cut their bars a bit? I measure about 31" on the std bar. Its a bit wide when twisting thru tight trails. And much wider than non-ebike mtb's (i.e. 2-3inches wider)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Actually the bars on the Levo are pretty much standard size for all modern MTB's (motorised or not) these days except xc racing and dirt jumping. Most bars on new bikes will be 760-800mm, usually 780mm. Modern thinking is that wide bars have many advantages

Its perfectly fine to cut them down to preference, but I wouldn't go less than 760mm. I agree that really wide bars can be a pain on tight single track.

Unsure what bar width to run? Here’s what we run and why - MBR

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
I cut mine down to 660 but I also changed to 27.5" wheels and don't ride anything that could be considered "technical".

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
I cut the stock bars down to 780mm then bought nukeproof carbon bars and cut those down to 760mm.
They're still much wider than the bars were on my old Scott bike

Last edited:

Waynetta

E*POWAH Master
Feb 11, 2020
Plymouth Devon
i went from old stumpys 730mm to 780mm on the SL and thought I’d trim bars down as a few tight tree areas had me wincing. After a few week's of riding with the standard bars I’ve decided to leave them at 780. The steering feels so right and the odd tight gap I’m just being a bit more causes on.

jsharpe

May 15, 2019
USA
I cut the stock bars down to 780mm then bought nukeproof carbon bars and cut those down to 760mm.
They're still much wider than the bars were on my old Scott bike

+1 I also switched the stock bars to nukeproof carbons cut to 760. And similarly, they are also *much* wider than my clockwork XC bike and I feel a bit like an albatross.

But before I cut them further I figure I'll give them part of a season to see if I get used to the different style. All my rides are XC trail kinds of stuff. No jumps/park etc. so I don't feel like I need the extra "leverage" of the super wide bars that seem to be the style these days. Also some of my trails have quite narrow openings between the trees. I could blast through them with the old school narrow bars but with these longer ones I'm paranoid about catching a bar and end up going way slower.

kombos

Dec 18, 2019
Arizona
I narrowed down to 760mm. Wider was putting my arms out too far and I was getting shoulder pain. I’m about a 36-38 inch chest though.

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
The original 780 mm (SL) felt like I was driving a bus, but what a fun bus this is! :)

Apr 26, 2020
Out west
Like you when I replaced my old (2003) SC Blur that served me well for over almost 14 years I was confounded by the crazy wide bars. Now after a lot of miles on modern bike geo, I get it. New bike geometry's have a very different set up with a short stem and wide bars. They give A LOT more control on bigger wheels and faster descents these bikes are capable of. At 60 yrs of age I'm riding stuff that I'd never would have ridden in my old Blur. It's the bike, so much more capable and confidence inspiring!

Unless your of modest stature, I'd hold off a bit doing any cutting till you get some miles on the new bike.
You should check out some of the videos that discuss bar sizing to see if you fall far outside today's norms for bar width. They are quite informative

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles