Handguards anyone?

Jurassic

Subscriber
Jul 22, 2022
Helensburgh, Scotland.
Anyone tried using handguards/brush guards as an aid to keeping your hands warmer in winter? I bought a cheap pair off Amazon last winter and they definitely help a little bit in reducing windchill. I crashed and broke one last year and the difference between my two hands while riding home with one side fitted has convinced me that they're worthwhile. The cheap ones I have aren't very strong so are pretty useless for protecting from impacts but they do deflect the wind so are particularly useful if (like me) you hate wearing bulky winter gloves.

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
Yeh might try these more for windchill stopped for a coffee yesterday, gloves were damp so when restarting really felt windchill. Or I could have swapped a second pair of gloves.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
I've thought about them, but for spring and summer use when nettles and brambles are rampant on many of my rides. Just not sure how well they would survive crashes as they look pretty vulnerable.
Also, do they fit on an ebike ok with the extra controls on the bars?

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
Bark buster handguards where the go to for mx. They do a universal mount that might work for MBT, though I suspect you will need to do a bit of bodging to get them to fit. They might be a bit bulky for mounting biking though.

Jurassic

Subscriber
Jul 22, 2022
Helensburgh, Scotland.
I've thought about them, but for spring and summer use when nettles and brambles are rampant on many of my rides. Just not sure how well they would survive crashes as they look pretty vulnerable.
Also, do they fit on an ebike ok with the extra controls on the bars?
They fit fine on my bike (Giant Reign) but it does have quite minimal additions to the bars with just one little extra switch compared to a non eeb. Might be more tricky with Bosch or Shimano set ups though.

Jurassic

Subscriber
Jul 22, 2022
Helensburgh, Scotland.
And if looks is not a problem, go straight to Bar Mitts Bar Mitts
I have a pair of these for using on my fat bike in really cold conditions but I find them strangely off-putting when riding technical terrain. I can't really explain why this is but I can confirm that they're brilliant at keeping your hands warm, I can get away with riding in summer gloves or no gloves in seriously cold conditions when using them. I don't have the same hang up about riding with hand guards though so prefer them for the technical trails I tend to ride on my eeb.

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
I have this company's grips on all my bikes.

Jurassic

Subscriber
Jul 22, 2022
Helensburgh, Scotland.
The ones that I got off Amazon cost £14.95 so were significantly cheaper than those ones. The price does tell as they're not very strong but if you're only using them to keep your hands out of the wind instead of to protect them from impacts they're okay. If you actually want protection from bushes, undergrowth and maybe in a crash the pricier ones might be worth it.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
And if looks is not a problem, go straight to Bar Mitts Bar Mitts
I wish someone would come up with a heated set of grips - like you get on motorcycles / snowmobiles etc.

I’ve never tried the bar mitts, but have tried various pairs of heated gloves. Bulky and awkward, but as a Raynaud’s Syndrome sufferer, I have to do something!

Reactions: GEO

YZDude

Aug 28, 2022
Eagan, MN USA
IMG_3827.jpeg

Acerbis makes these nice smaller size for MTB and mini-moto, I use more for brush factor, not sure if riding with them would be much warmer on hands. Think there’s an extra fairing I can add too..

Krakaride

Jan 6, 2021
Hallett Cove
I'm currently running Barkbusters. Used them on my moto back in the day although these are much less bulky and don't wrap around and attach to the bar end like on the moto. These are light and flexible.
More for hand protection against branches than wind though.
Bought them on ebay from yamahaworld.

PSX_20231029_060318.jpg

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
Bar mitt type of things are warmer, but I find that if you ride in heavy rain the water runs down your arms and the mitts fill with water.

Jurassic

Subscriber
Jul 22, 2022
Helensburgh, Scotland.
Bar mitt type of things are warmer, but I find that if you ride in heavy rain the water runs down your arms and the mitts fill with water.
I agree with this but I've found that with my bar mitts (which are these ones Classic Pogies ), even if my hands are soaked and even in temperatures around freezing my hands still stay warm. That's in UK/Scottish riding conditions where it doesn't get really cold but we often get sleety wet conditions or wet snow falling and I've found them to be very effective when it's like that. I've often been relieved to start riding again after a break as my hands have been cold due to wet gloves but as soon as I stick them back into the mitts my hands heat up again.

GEO

Feb 28, 2020
Connecticut
I’m a HUGE proponent of Handguards, ESPECIALLY on A E MTB!
These are the Trail Max Handguards by GEO, they offer full protection, they don’t clog your cockpit on your E, they are unbreakable and offer MAXIMUM PROTECTION for your controls and hands!
they are available at www.geohandguards.com and Amazon Prime and EBay.
GEO makes HANDGUARDS in 3 Styles
NX- minimum protection, maximum Style for brush. $60.00
MTB- the original full wrap Handguard in a stealthy package. $85.00
TRAIL MAX- for all out protection on the trail! $115.00
GEO also offers a Skid Plate for the Gen 3 Levo, a Derailleur Guard and another more in the works.

Wolftooth Bar mitts will fit over the MTB based on my experience, not sure about the Trail Max…haven’t tried it yet.
I run heated gloves by Sealskins in the COLD, it’s the best solution to keeping hands my warm as far as I’m concerned, the bar mitts confine my hands in the tight singletrack of CT. And I feel they could cause issues if you try to get your hands out quickly since they are so confining…. mitts are great if you’re just cruising along.

IMG_7834.jpeg IMG_7827.jpeg IMG_7914.jpeg

GEO

Feb 28, 2020
Connecticut
I’m a HUGE proponent of Handguards, ESPECIALLY on A E MTB!
These are the Trail Max Handguards by GEO, they offer full protection, they don’t clog your cockpit on your E, they are unbreakable and offer MAXIMUM PROTECTION for your controls and hands!
they are available at www.geohandguards.com and Amazon Prime and EBay.
GEO makes HANDGUARDS in 3 Styles
NX- minimum protection, maximum Style for brush. $60.00
MTB- the original full wrap Handguard in a stealthy package. $85.00
TRAIL MAX- for all out protection on the trail! $115.00
GEO also offers a Skid Plate for the Gen 3 Levo, a Derailleur Guard and another more in the works.

Wolftooth Bar mitts will fit over the MTB based on my experience, not sure about the Trail Max…haven’t tried it yet.
I run heated gloves by Sealskins in the COLD, it’s the best solution to keeping hands my warm as far as I’m concerned, the bar mitts confine my hands in the tight singletrack of CT. And I feel they could cause issues if you try to get your hands out quickly since they are so confining…. mitts are great if you’re just cruising along.

View attachment 128086 View attachment 128087 View attachment 128088

GEO

Feb 28, 2020
Connecticut
I wish someone would come up with a heated set of grips - like you get on motorcycles / snowmobiles etc.

I’ve never tried the bar mitts, but have tried various pairs of heated gloves. Bulky and awkward, but as a Raynaud’s Syndrome sufferer, I have to do something!
Check out the heated gloves by Sealskins very comfortable and not bulky, I’ve tried a few heated gloves and these are the best option.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Check out the heated gloves by Sealskins very comfortable and not bulky, I’ve tried a few heated gloves and these are the best option.
I already have a pair of these! I'm actually on my second pair, as the velcro closure burst on the first pair after about a year... and they replaced them under warranty (they'd been worn about 5 times).

If I'm honest, they're TOO warm for me! My hands end up sweating, and the insides of the gloves end up soaking. When I take them off, they're really difficult to get back on because the lining starts coming out with them.
In a Scottish winter, the temps are usually about 0-3°C... and I don't think this is cold enough for the gloves. My hands start off cold, and the gloves do a great job of warming them, I turn the heating down, or even off... but my hands then are toasty and sweat!

What I'd really like is heated grips, so that I can wear thin riding gloves and have the proper feel of the bar. No clunky battery on my wrists, and no ski gauntlet type gloves... but still warm finger tips!!

Jurassic

Subscriber
Jul 22, 2022
Helensburgh, Scotland.
Tbh those Acerbis ones don't look like they'd be much stronger than my cheapo ones off Amazon (for three times the price).
The ones that look like Barkbusters (Moto guys will know what I mean) seem like the best design to me.