H15 Brakes Upgrades,

hilbil-E-bikr

Sep 7, 2021
Alabama USA
Looking for suggestions on upgrading the 6100 brakes on my H15. Should I go with 203 rotors front and rear, 6120 4 pistons, or both? My home riding area is pretty flat and the stock brakes are adequate. However, I can see the need for more brake for the several times a year I head to north Georgia and western North Carolina. How much additional stopping power can I expect with the 203’s compared with the 180’s?

edit: sorry for post duplication. Just found some previous posts that I didn’t find in my first search. I guess my main question is which gives more bang for the buck, replacing rotors or calipers?

Last edited:

GMLS

Jun 22, 2020
Surrey
The other option you forgot to consider is pads. I'd go pads, rotor then calipers.I'd focus on front first which should account for the majority of your braking.

BumblebeeTuna

Jun 16, 2022
Bay Area
Looking for suggestions on upgrading the 6100 brakes on my H15. Should I go with 203 rotors front and rear, 6120 4 pistons, or both? My home riding area is pretty flat and the stock brakes are adequate. However, I can see the need for more brake for the several times a year I head to north Georgia and western North Carolina. How much additional stopping power can I expect with the 203’s compared with the 180’s?

edit: sorry for post duplication. Just found some previous posts that I didn’t find in my first search. I guess my main question is which gives more bang for the buck, replacing rotors or calipers?
I had the same issue. Ended up going 203 rotors first. Helped but didn’t fix issue. Then metallic pads. Again, helped but didn’t fix the issue. These actually produced another issue in that they’re loud as hell.

I finally just installed m7120 calipers front and rear which needed new brake lines due to a banjo bolt being needed. A decent amount of work but definitely worth it.

hilbil-E-bikr

Sep 7, 2021
Alabama USA
Thanks for the input. Hadn’t really thought about pads. Not sure what type the OEM’s are. I really think the feel of the brakes are good, just will need more power when getting into elevation. I’ve always had much better luck with organic compound pads on my acoustic bikes. Last 2 bikes had guide R brakes and their metallic pads felt and sounded like crap to me. I’m generally riding in very dry conditions so that may have something to do with it. I’ll probably try rotors first. If that doesn’t do it 6120 calipers because I really don’t want to run new lines.

Decolocsta

Aug 10, 2022
Germany
203 + 4 Pot Caliper at the Front is worth it.

Went First with the Disc Upgrade,
but the stopping Power wasnt there and the modulation was crap.
Pure on off feeling.

I bought the deore caliper and switched it over (5 min job).

Now i have stopping Power and a nice modulation.

All in all an Cheap Upgrade.

CC629CAB-A5E0-4F13-A08B-61D1D0CCBD7F.jpeg
E75E7838-9CF4-440E-AD7B-063D9C0EAF7B.jpeg

hilbil-E-bikr

Sep 7, 2021
Alabama USA
203 + 4 Pot Caliper at the Front is worth it.

Went First with the Disc Upgrade,
but the stopping Power wasnt there and the modulation was crap.
Pure on off feeling.

I bought the deore caliper and switched it over (5 min job).

Now i have stopping Power and a nice modulation.

All in all an Cheap Upgrade.

Interesting idea. So you’re running 203 rotor and 4 piston brake up front and 180, 2 piston on the back?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles