H.M.Queen Elizabeth ll...R.I.P

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Just a curiosity question coming from an ignorant yank, but are the citizens of England still ok with their tax dollars going to the royal family? I don’t know enough about the whole system, but do understand maintaining the tradition. That said, I’d not be ok with my tax dollars going to that. Not that we don’t pay ridiculous tax for government waste over here. Honestly Just curious.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
Just a curiosity question coming from an ignorant yank, but are the citizens of England still ok with their tax dollars going to the royal family? I don’t know enough about the whole system, but do understand maintaining the tradition. That said, I’d not be ok with my tax dollars going to that. Not that we don’t pay ridiculous tax for government waste over here. Honestly Just curious.

Probably less tax dollars going to the Royal family than corrupt US politicians....lol

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Probably less tax dollars going to the Royal family than corrupt US politicians....lol
I 100% agree, but not ok with that either. US has more government waste than any country I can think of. Dirty politicians; and yes, it is a sad day that she is no longer with us.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
From a purely financial point the Royal family brings in far more revenue in terms of tourism etc etc than it costs.

From a personal perspective they are a constant that anchors Britain to all that is good about our country, in times when the politicians make you doubt what our country has become, with the Queen in particular having been a constant though massive times of change. The monarchy is a head of state that does not reflect political positions, or polarising opinions, and that is what enables them to get the whole country behind them, unlike an elected official.

Of course the Queen was unique, and no matter peoples view on the monarchy she was universally respected and even loved by the country, and her passing is the end of an era for us. Suspect interesting times ahead for the monarchy with King Charles, but who knows.

Interesting times to live though for sure

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
From a purely financial point the Royal family brings in far more revenue in terms of tourism etc etc than it costs.

From a personal perspective they are a constant that anchors Britain to all that is good about our country, in times when the politicians make you doubt what our country has become, with the Queen in particular having been a constant though massive times of change. The monarchy is a head of state that does not reflect political positions, or polarising opinions, and that is what enables them to get the whole country behind them, unlike an elected official.

Of course the Queen was unique, and no matter peoples view on the monarchy she was universally respected and even loved by the country, and her passing is the end of an era for us. Suspect interesting times ahead for the monarchy with King Charles, but who knows.

Interesting times to live though for sure

I appreciate the sound explanation to this ignorant yank. She is pretty well loved over here too, but not nearly as much as much Diana.

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The Commonwealth is pretty much her legacy that King Charles III will have to pay attention to if he doesn't want it to fade away.

Stamps, coins, banknotes and passports will all change, in time. Any new post boxes will have CIIIR on instead of EIIR. All the Royal Warrants from the Queen will become void and the company using them has two years to stop. The national anthem will now be sung "God save our gracious King....." and "Send him victorious...." etc. Police forces will have to change the cipher in the centre of their helmets. Barristers appointed by the monarch (the Queen's Counsel) will now be known as the Kings Counsel. And so on and so on. Lots of changes in things that have not changed for over 70 years. Work for many, costs for some.

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
It's odd. I find the idea of a monarchy and life peerages 100% anachronistic, but she honestly didn't do a bad job. She was part of the culture of the UK and our image abroad. Despite some recent revelations about some self-serving meddling in some political issues (i.e. getting exemptions from certain taxes, duties as a landlord, etc.) and letting Andrew off far too easily his whole life, she was clearly driven by a very strong sense of duty to serve the country. This sometime made her come across as a bit cold (e.g. Diana's death), but I'm pretty sure that was mostly her trying to do the right thing and not the easy thing as she saw it.

On a coldly financial basis about the cost to the public in taxes you asked about, my guess is that given the impact on tourism and the UK's image abroad, the UK made a pretty good profit. I'd love to see some figures on that, though.

Finally, making someone head of state by right of birth is clearly bonkers. Then again, democracy gives you leaders like Boris and Trump. They say that the perfect form of government is an intelligent and benign dictator, which in practice means that there is no perfect system.

Let's home King Charles III doesn't make a Charlie of himself! She's a tough act to follow.

p.s. I still have a 25th Silver Jubilee tea cup from 1977 that we use regularly!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles