Greetings

RayD8r

Jun 12, 2023
Denver, CO.
Hi all, just a quick intro, RayD8r here, Ray is cool for short lol I'm new here and to electric bikes but not new to mountain bikes or forums. I'm in Denver, CO. My car recently had a catastrophic cvt transmission failure and Nissan is not helping many of us out on the $4500 replacement which is the only option we have in order to get a warranty to ensure at least another 3 years without the worry of having to pay for the job again. I don't have that kind of money, I bought the car with 34k miles and based on prior experience with other Nissan models in the past, thought I'd be good for quite some time. I had no idea that cvt transmissions existed, what they are, nor that my Rogue has one in it. I did a carfax paid report and Google search INCLUDING specifically "transmission" because I'm leery of automatic transmissions as a general rule. The report came back clean and I didn't notice anything more than the usual handful of complaints about the transmission or any other major issues so I went ahead with the deal and bought the car. It's the SV option which is one step down from the highest equipped model being the SL, which I don't care for anyway because the SL lacks the rear window spoiler and has 16" wheels compared to my 17s and has leather trimmed seats which I can also live without, but other than that, mine is loaded with the exception of an available 360° camera system, which again, don't bother me a bit. I don't even get along with the wide angle back up camera that it does have, none of which does any of us a bit of good when our cars won't drive. So I have a couple of old Iron Horse mountain bikes and Denver has a pretty good public transportation system so off I go making a 2 hour commute which is only 25 min with a car but so be it. It's quite hilly here at the base of the Rocky Mountains so needless to say at my age of 51, although fortunately still in fairly good shape, the pedaling got old fast. So I started looking into motorized options. I think the little gas powered motors are obnoxiously loud and the exhaust stinks so it was an easy choice to decide electric was for me. Already having 3 bikes and a fourth build in progress I decided that another complete bike wasn't necessary and when I found an inexpensive 48 volt ebike conversion kit which included the battery, I had no hesitation hitting the 'buy now" button and here I am.

RayD8r

Jun 12, 2023
Denver, CO.
I like it enough that I'm not in a super hurry to fix the car. I'm in construction so my work is all over and a couple of the more remote sites have proven a bit tough to get to on time so my boss isn't all about it but I got a small utility trailer for hauling my tools and such and if it comes to it, I'm willing to find a different job or even line of work. It's not ideal in bad weather but I have decent raingear and if the snow is bad enough that I wouldn't ride the bike, I probably wouldn't be going out in it with the car anyway. The cold don't bother me any more than it would either, if it's cold enough outside to be miserable it won't matter whether I'm driving or not and there's always Uber if there's a reason that the bike isn't feasible.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles