Greetings from Italy…and a question about Orbea Rise!

Sgur

Oct 22, 2018
Italy
Hello everyone, happy new year to all of you!

I’m going to buy an Orbea Rise and can’t decide between M and H versions…(keep thinking about 😂). Looking for a nimble bike so on paper M is the right choice, but 360 wh for my 90 kg don’ make me feel comfortable…on the other hand I don’t know how much those 2ish kg more of the H model can affect the ride in terms of agility. Here at the moment it‘s impossible to find a bike to test, is there any of you who had the chance to test both? Suggestions? Thank you, ciao 👍🏻

donovan888

Dec 7, 2021
Rijeka
Haven't ridden H version but my M10 360 wh battery has no problem with my 110 kg weight + around another 3-4 kg equipment. My local trail is 24km and that takes about 60 % battery - I am not in good shape (beer guy). Most of the time it's in trail mode.

I also have range extender but newer had a chance to try it as it's seems I don't need it.

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
It all depends on how hard you push and what level of assistance you need and the terrain.
If I push hard and use the highest assistance, I can empty the battery in 15 kms.
If I push not-that-hard and use a medium assistance, I can easily go 30kms.
If I push light and use eco assistance....I can go like forever...

So....how hard do you push and what assistance level do you need ?

NorthernBloke

Sep 17, 2021
Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire
I wouldn't worry about your weight, as per the other comments.

More on what you'll be riding, how far you want to go and how hard you want to do it.

The Rise really does encourage you to ride hard and get the most out of the motor and that'll be the case for both M and H.

Turbo is more than sufficient for me and I can trundle around in trial and eco most of the time.

For me the lighter the better so M and add a range extender if you need it for longer rides

Sgur

Oct 22, 2018
Italy
Thank you guys for your inputs. Tours I like the most are a bit more than 40 km, 1300-1600 m climb and I like being helped by the motor…My point is: how far is the “light bike“ feeling when descending with the H compared to the M? Yes the lighter the better but I wonder if the difference is perceptible for an average rider like me. If not, 540 Wh is just better than 360 right?

Snowrydr01

Dec 15, 2021
Jeeptj01!
As an aggressive rider that tends to ride poorly and crash from time to time, I am always more emotionaly comfortable on AL bikes. while its probably a very small percentage chance, seeing the occsional carbon chain stay snap on this forum and get warranty rejected, makes me sleep better knowing i ordered AL. Not trying to overthink it, but if a company is chasing weight enough to spec EXO XC tires, they probably took an aggressive approach to engineering instead of safer and heavier.

NorthernBloke

Sep 17, 2021
Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire
As an aggressive rider that tends to ride poorly and crash from time to time, I am always more emotionaly comfortable on AL bikes. while its probably a very small percentage chance, seeing the occsional carbon chain stay snap on this forum and get warranty rejected, makes me sleep better knowing i ordered AL. Not trying to overthink it, but if a company is chasing weight enough to spec EXO XC tires, they probably took an aggressive approach to engineering instead of safer and heavier.

Agree with comment I would have opted for AL but this wasn't available at the time, but what attracted me was the superlight nature of the Rise and Levo SL (I chose Rise as it was much better value than the Levo).

You do inspect the frame on Carbon more often than AL with every rock strike or crash resulting in a nervous look at the frame.

I don't think you'll notice the weight difference between M and H going downhill but it depends on what you are doing on that descent.

If I were smashing it down black runs or doing massive drop offs I wouldn't be on a RISE, neither the H or M, not at this price.

Descending on the Rise is a mixed bag imo, great fun, very nimble but there is a lot of clatter from the Shimano motor and the 29" wheels roll really fast.

The latter, a combination which still makes me feel a bit nervous to push it further.

I still feel more confident on my manual bike with 27.5" wheels and bigger discs when going downhill.

But I do love my Rise Team. For me I treat it as a superlight XC/Trail bike that lets me ride it like a manual when needed and use the battery to go further than normal.
I can get easily get 30k+ and 1000m and I am a heavy guy, 115kg. So you should be fine on a M but if you need the reassurance of a larger battery or you are worried about carbon get the H.
Alternatively get the range extender for the M and only take it on the longer rides.

Snowrydr01

Dec 15, 2021
Jeeptj01!
I don't think you'll notice the weight difference between M and H going downhill but it depends on what you are doing on that descent.

If I were smashing it down black runs or doing massive drop offs I wouldn't be on a RISE, neither the H or M, not at this price.

I intend to be something in the middle, my other bike is a ripmo AF and i dont think that made a good smash bike out of the box but with a different suspension setup 170/160 and different susp components (36/x2) i was able to make it that.

Lucking the H30 has the same shock size and almost the same leverage rates as the stock ripmo af so i have a dpx2, jadeX, and topaz to play with in the back and will put my DVO Diamond on the front at 160. That should slack it out a degree and make it susprisingly close to the geometry of the AF just with a longer rear end for stability and a more active rear end. My biggest reason for the Rise H is to be able to do long shuttle climbs to get to those sweet downhills without the Full Fat weight and massively long rear ends.

Smeer

Mar 2, 2020
Vancouver
Thank you guys for your inputs. Tours I like the most are a bit more than 40 km, 1300-1600 m climb and I like being helped by the motor…My point is: how far is the “light bike“ feeling when descending with the H compared to the M? Yes the lighter the better but I wonder if the difference is perceptible for an average rider like me. If not, 540 Wh is just better than 360 right?

How long is your average ride? Look at the rides you, and that would help decide.

I just went through the same process between H and M. My average ride is 12-15km with 600 meters of elevation. Occasionally I do much bigger rides; I did a 32km/1000meter elevation ride last year and quite a few 25km/700meter rides. My levo with 504wh was never below 30% on any of those rides.

For me, 9 out of 10 times the 360 will be more than enough. For those big days, I’ll get a range extender and with that I’ll be able to even do more than my biggest rides - as it would provide 612wh.

If all your rides require the big batter - it makes sense to go for an H, but if not, why carry all the weight?

Sgur

Oct 22, 2018
Italy
How long is your average ride? Look at the rides you, and that would help decide.

I just went through the same process between H and M. My average ride is 12-15km with 600 meters of elevation. Occasionally I do much bigger rides; I did a 32km/1000meter elevation ride last year and quite a few 25km/700meter rides. My levo with 504wh was never below 30% on any of those rides.

For me, 9 out of 10 times the 360 will be more than enough. For those big days, I’ll get a range extender and with that I’ll be able to even do more than my biggest rides - as it would provide 612wh.

If all your rides require the big batter - it makes sense to go for an H, but if not, why carry all the weight?
mmm….but what if the extra weight is not influencing the ride feeling? At the end the difference between M and H is 1.5 kilos and the geometry is the same. I know we are all speculating here, can’t answer to that question without a real comparison in the field…
I don’t use my bike very often (still enjoy riding my Ktm 300 😍), but yes my rides are definitely longer than yours, when I use it, it’s for a 4hour ride on average. I’ll go for the H, need to place the order if I don’t want to wait too long for the delivery…👍🏻

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles