Levo Gen 2 Got mugged with baseball bats Broke 5 ribs Need an answer

Rick53

Feb 12, 2020
Muskegon, MI, USA
I don't need to go into details on my injuries . I only mention them in the title in hopes of getting quick answers . My ribs are 5 weeks healed . I ride a Levo Comp and I'm now just 65 . Obviously not going to be doing much off road stuff for awhile . My Dr Says My lungs are extensively bruised . He said it looks like I was run over . That if I don't start exercising them hard with repeated deep breathing . I'll end up with COPD or even worse. He suggested walking lol . That won't do it . The machine they gave me to help with that has gotten way to easy . It served it's purpose at first.
I can get my breathing hard riding . The DR is worried if I fall . Which I won't and besides in another week technically my ribs are healed enough to not rebreak.

However I'm in to much pain to lean over and ride any distance . Until you hurt something like ribs you don't realize how much they are used when bent over . Same for your gut.

I tried a Friends VADO who raised his setup with jones bars . Goofy looking but worked . Which wasn't bad at all . I realize I'm going to have some pain .

I bought a Stem Extender . But the bolt they sent is an inch to short .

So My Question is . Where do I source Stem Bolts ? All I find online is short ones like my standard bolt is .

ALSO: I will likely have to get back to the normal geometry in steps . Which I can do my switching around spacers . I'm hoping to recoup fast with the effort I plan to put out . I live in the country . So plenty of gravel roads to ease back in .

Any Suggestions on some decent Riser Bars that Won't break the bank .?? Jones Bars are not an option . I was thinking something like PNW Range or Soma

THANKS MUCH

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Get well soon.
But leave the bike set-up alone and wait a little longer for your ribs to recover.
it typically takes 6+ weeks for the pain to go away. (but maybe longer with age or complications)

a stem raiser or super high bars pretty much ruins most bikes off-road handling and make cornering grip shady AF. even on gravel roads.

Rick53

Feb 12, 2020
Muskegon, MI, USA
Get well soon.
But leave the bike set-up alone and wait a little longer for your ribs to recover.
it typically takes 6+ weeks for the pain to go away. (but maybe longer with age or complications)

a stem raiser or super high bars pretty much ruins most bikes off-road handling and make cornering grip shady AF. even on gravel roads.
Yeah I know that > Like I said it's just a Temporary thing so I can start riding it down the Road . I got beat up really bad . I was in the Hospital almost a month . Plus I had just beat Covid about 2 weeks earlier . I'm trying to get my lungs working right . What happens is that you naturally don't breath as deep . My Dr said it only takes Days for your lungs to get damaged past a point where they won't ever get fully well. I've done all the Medical Worlds Exercises .
I don't plan to ride the bike in Trails with a stem riser or Riser bars . I want a Temp Fix to ride it down the rode more then a mile . I can tell riding my friends Vado Which is more upright without being to upright . That it works . But I don't want to spend 4K on a Vado . That's if I could even find one . So I hear what you are saying . I just don't intend to ride it thru trials I sometimes barely make it thru with stock Geo . :) Thanks

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
very few bars are made with more than 40mm rise these days. and what is available tends to be destined for dirtjump/slopestyle bikes.
so take a look at Deity and NS bars for something in the 50-80mm rise range. (NS still do their high rise bars in 25.4 but can be run in a 31.8 stem with a shim.
Shouldn't be too difficult to sell them on when you're fit again

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
Just go to B&Q/Screwfix and get a long M5 bolt, or order one from ebay.

Have a look at these bars, they might suit if you reckon Jones backsweep helped.

On One Mary Bar

Or this one, hilariously named...
On One Geoff

FWIW, my stepdad broke 9 ribs and punctured a lung a few months back, he's now back on the eeb and going well. He did persist with the deep breathing tool he was given though, so I would stick with that even if it feels easy. Best of luck!

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
If I am correct in thinking a more upright stance on the bike is what would make it something you could ride whilst not ruining the bike from the point of view of you progressing over time, the following may help
1. If you ride with saddle lower you automatically achieve a more upright stance. It is obviously less efficient for pedalling but not that bad with motor assist.
2. Your bike has 27mm rise bars on a 6 degree rise stem. You have the option to go to 40mm rise with most brands .Nukeproof, if available where you are, do a good quality 700 series ally bar for £50 sterling or a 600 series bar for c £35 ( Chain Reaction Cycles/UK).
3. I don't know what bar width you have...standard on the Levo Comp is 780. Reducing bar width means your arms are not spread as wide which may be more comfortable, it also brings your torso a little more upright.

Since you intend riding tarmac or gravel only you might also consider setting your suspension so it is more plush. Specifically you could increase SAG on the shock which will sit the back of the bike a little lower as well. You really want to maintain height at the front of the bike so rather than increase fork SAG go for less compression and rebound.

At the end of the day it sounds like you will have pain regardless, so maybe better to do some or all of the above and try to get your body to accept that position on short rides to start with and then increase the time/distance progressively. None of the above changes would adversely impact on your ability to extend your capability on the bike bit by bit.

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
The other obvious bit of advice is to take a shit load of painkillers before you go out. When my back was ruined I rode on a mix of dihydracodeine and ibuprofen for about 6 months (y)

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The other obvious bit of advice is to take a shit load of painkillers before you go out. When my back was ruined I rode on a mix of dihydracodeine and ibuprofen for about 6 months (y)
I would not do that without doctor approval. Continued use of Ibuprofen can cause kidney problems for example.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Steve will be along momentarily to warn of the dangers of opiates and constipation. Normally I point out that not everyone has that problem but given the broken ribs I’d tend to err on the side of caution and avoid any excess straining… :oops:

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I have some experience of rib damage albeit not due to baseball bats! I found the best treatment was to use support strapping or a compression vest.......the latter being painful to put on but better overall.

Rick53

Feb 12, 2020
Muskegon, MI, USA
Steve will be along momentarily to warn of the dangers of opiates and constipation. Normally I point out that not everyone has that problem but given the broken ribs I’d tend to err on the side of caution and avoid any excess straining… :oops:
Whoever Steve is . I can imagine he'd freak about Oxy-contin and it's sister MS-Contin . Constipation negated by wife dumping prune juice down me . Plus I drink 80 OZ of water a day normally . I have no idea what pain pills they gave me in the Hospital . I left with 50 mg Oxy's up to 3 a day then down to MS-Contin 60 mg 2 a day . The last dose was 15 mg 2 a day. I've not taken pain meds for over a week now. So have maybe 5o pills left. My current pain is lung ache . Which the Drs I have tell me I need to force them to ache as much as I can stand for teh next 90 days to avoid long term issue . Which has nothing to do with my age . Apparently My condition is more dangerous for someone younger . They explained why but I didn't listen to that part very well. Thanks

Riotsloth

Sep 16, 2018
Haywards Heath
My Dr said it only takes Days for your lungs to get damaged past a point where they won't ever get fully well.

What? This is simply not true, unless you have some specific problem with them? Perhaps you misunderstood your doctor? The body is amazing and has incredible powers of recovery. It sounds like you have been through a really rough time, and I'm not surprised you want to get out and about, but perhaps leave the cycling for another few weeks until your ribs are less painful. Just take a few gentle walks and build it up slowly - every day you are healing and will recover and feel better. Get lots of sleep too.

Rick53

Feb 12, 2020
Muskegon, MI, USA
I have some experience of rib damage albeit not due to baseball bats! I found the best treatment was to use support strapping or a compression vest.......the latter being painful to put on but better overall.
Not sure how long ago you had rib damage . The New thinking is no wrapping at all. At least for the ribs I had broken . There's 2 types of ribs . Some are attached to your Sternum and some are what they call floaters . Which are the top and bottom ribs . They are guessing I was kicked repeated times while down on teh ground . I was told if you have broken ribs the ribs I had broken are the one's you would want broken. They are attached to the sternum and normally stay in place . So at least for me they wanted me unwrapped So that my lungs wouldn't be limited to expand .
I may not have been beat up so bad if I hadn't resisted . My 13 year old granddaughter and here friend were with Me . There were just 2 guys . They were poking at us with their bats . So I started in on them and yelled to the girls to run and get help . Being kids they can really run . I manage to get my attackers along with myself down on the ground . But it all worked out . :)

Rick53

Feb 12, 2020
Muskegon, MI, USA
What? This is simply not true, unless you have some specific problem with them? Perhaps you misunderstood your doctor? The body is amazing and has incredible powers of recovery. It sounds like you have been through a really rough time, and I'm not surprised you want to get out and about, but perhaps leave the cycling for another few weeks until your ribs are less painful. Just take a few gentle walks and build it up slowly - every day you are healing and will recover and feel better. Get lots of sleep too.
I understood just fine . I had the shit kicked out of me . They didn't hit me once . I don't know how many times . I never passed out but really close . I had a broken nose a concussion, I had bat marks on my back and probably foot kicks in my stomach and my sides . They smashed my hands but nothing broken . The Pulmonary Dr said I had extensive deep bruising on both lungs pretty much everywhere . They had me sleeping sitting up because they were concerned my lungs would fill up and collapse . Because of that , even though I am out of the woods in that respect. The sacring is enough that if I don't take measures I can't avoid long term lung damage . They must know what they are talking about . Currently they have me sleeping on my sides . Turning over as much as possible .
Now you would think that turning is to release the stress of laying on the bruising . But it's the opposite . For example if I had ribs only damaged on the left side . I'd want to lay on the damaged side . You'd think it would be just the opposite but it's not . Just repeating what they have told me and the instruction they sent me how with in writing . Or Print :)

Rick53

Feb 12, 2020
Muskegon, MI, USA

Have a look at these bars, they might suit if you reckon Jones backsweep helped.

On One Mary Bar

On One Geoff

FWIW, my stepdad broke 9 ribs and punctured a lung a few months back, he's now back on the eeb and going well. He did persist with the deep breathing tool he was given though, so I would stick with that even if it feels easy. Best of luck!
Great helpful info Thanks much

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Whoever Steve is . I can imagine he'd freak about Oxy-contin and it's sister MS-Contin . Constipation negated by wife dumping prune juice down me . Plus I drink 80 OZ of water a day normally . ...........................
I suspect that he means me. Ever since I had to have intervention following a codeine based painkiller, I have warned people about the side effects. Constipation nearly killed my sister-in-law. (I thought it was about to kill me!) They reckon it did for Henry VIII and also Elvis.

PS: I will add Oxy-Contin and MS-Contin to the list of Codeine based pain killers.

Riotsloth

Sep 16, 2018
Haywards Heath
I understood just fine . I had the shit kicked out of me . They didn't hit me once . I don't know how many times . I never passed out but really close . I had a broken nose a concussion, I had bat marks on my back and probably foot kicks in my stomach and my sides . They smashed my hands but nothing broken . The Pulmonary Dr said I had extensive deep bruising on both lungs pretty much everywhere . They had me sleeping sitting up because they were concerned my lungs would fill up and collapse . Because of that , even though I am out of the woods in that respect. The sacring is enough that if I don't take measures I can't avoid long term lung damage . They must know what they are talking about . Currently they have me sleeping on my sides . Turning over as much as possible .
Now you would think that turning is to release the stress of laying on the bruising . But it's the opposite . For example if I had ribs only damaged on the left side . I'd want to lay on the damaged side . You'd think it would be just the opposite but it's not . Just repeating what they have told me and the instruction they sent me how with in writing . Or Print :)

I hope they found the scumbags, that sounds horrific. And I really hope you get well and can get back to eMTBing! :)

sparked

Jun 6, 2020
Melbourne
Why not just hire a stationary bike for a month? You can't really fall off it, you dont mess with your Levo and you can get your fitness up slowly and safely. Its boring I know but at least you can't have a dog run out or some other freak incident that results in you hurting yourself before you are fully recovered.

Wishing you all the best for a speedy recovery mind body and soul!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
MAX 2400 mg per day with 6 months of refills. Is what they sent me home with
My GP advised me to take 100mg per hour, averaged over 24 hours. That is double the recommended dose, but he's the GP! I used to wake up during the night within minutes of the time required to take another 400mg Brufen. When I started sleeping for longer than 4 hours, I knew I was getting better! When I'm in pain, I don't worry about tomorrow, just give me the 'effin drugs!

The longest I have taken that dosage though is about 3 weeks, dropping down to the standard dose for another few weeks. I have undertaken that regime about four times in the last ten years and I am pretty sure that I don't have any kidney problems.

Rick53

Feb 12, 2020
Muskegon, MI, USA
I suspect that he means me. Ever since I had to have intervention following a codeine based painkiller, I have warned people about the side effects. Constipation nearly killed my sister-in-law. (I thought it was about to kill me!) They reckon it did for Henry VIII and also Elvis.

PS: I will add Oxy-Contin and MS-Contin to the list of Codeine based pain killers.
i AM PAST THAT . It was a great buzz for 30 days : Helped and definitely made boredom easy to handle . But I am past that . I had no issues with constipation . It anything the rib pain the first 2 weeks made going to the bathroom itself a trying situation . Because you can't push . I had no issues with constipation . I can't even tell you how I went the first week . I mostly was sedated and slept. I past all that .
Keep in mind I'm 65 . Getting back in shape isn't as easy as it was even 10 years ago.
At my age you can pull something in your sleep lol

Rick53

Feb 12, 2020
Muskegon, MI, USA
My GP advised me to take 100mg per hour, averaged over 24 hours. That is double the recommended dose, but he's the GP! I used to wake up during the night within minutes of the time required to take another 400mg Brufen. When I started sleeping for longer than 4 hours, I knew I was getting better! When I'm in pain, I don't worry about tomorrow, just give me the 'effin drugs!

The longest I have taken that dosage though is about 3 weeks, dropping down to the standard dose for another few weeks. I have undertaken that regime about four times in the last ten years and I am pretty sure that I don't have any kidney problems.
Like I said past all that . I'm to old to waste days drugged . Martine is for inflamation . If I get soar from getting back to normal life I may take one at night . But I pretty much don't need teh drugs . Sorry you have to live on them . That has to suck .

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Like I said past all that . I'm to old to waste days drugged . Martine is for inflamation . If I get soar from getting back to normal life I may take one at night . But I pretty much don't need teh drugs . Sorry you have to live on them . That has to suck .
I don't live on the drugs!! :eek:
I took the Ibuprofen only for the pain, not for any buzz. Once the pain went, the drugs stopped.
I was once on Temazepam (morphine based I think, not sure). I could not read a newspaper because I couldn't remember what the paragraph was about by the time I got to the end of it. To pass the time I ended up watching day time TV, cookery programs, house makeovers..................yuk!! Could not remember a thing about them five mins after the program ended. When I stopped the Temazepam, it was like slowly waking up and coming back to life. I have never dallied with "drugs", but that experience confirmed that decision very forcefully.

Get well soon. I hope they caught the bastards.

Rick53

Feb 12, 2020
Muskegon, MI, USA
Why not just hire a stationary bike for a month? You can't really fall off it, you dont mess with your Levo and you can get your fitness up slowly and safely. Its boring I know but at least you can't have a dog run out or some other freak incident that results in you hurting yourself before you are fully recovered.

Wishing you all the best for a speedy recovery mind body and soul!
My soul is Christ's I appreciate the suggestion butttttt I could never handle what you suggest . I bought something 5 years ago where you remove your back wheel and use it in your house . I bought it for staying in shape thru the Winter . I used it 2 times . So sold it that first summer . Like I said : I am 65 . I've done the 35 years of being a Gym rat . I'm sure that's why I'm still riding MTB's while my buddies are riding step thru Bikes :) These days 20 minutes twice a week on a Bowflex is all I need . Frankly it's all I care to do . My grandkids keep me in good enough shape . :) Thanks for the input Plus I'd look kinda stupid all dressed up with my FF down the basement ;)

Last edited:

Rick53

Feb 12, 2020
Muskegon, MI, USA
I don't live on the drugs!! :eek:
I took the Ibuprofen only for the pain, not for any buzz. Once the pain went, the drugs stopped.
I was once on Temazepam (morphine based I think, not sure). I could not read a newspaper because I couldn't remember what the paragraph was about by the time I got to the end of it. To pass the time I ended up watching day time TV, cookery programs, house makeovers..................yuk!! Could not remember a thing about them five mins after the program ended. When I stopped the Temazepam, it was like slowly waking up and coming back to life. I have never dallied with "drugs", but that experience confirmed that decision very forcefully.

Get well soon. I hope they caught the bastards.
My mistake sorry : Thought that's what you meant :
Yeah they got caught right away . The dummies threw the bats in a field by the ball park . Some kids playing ball found them right away . I haven't been to court . Obviously they had records . At least for sure one did . He ratted out his friend . They confessed so I haven't done anything yet . From what I gather they are from Foster Care . So they are 16 I think . I'm attempting to be able to speak to them to see if they have regrets before the prosecutors throws the book at them . They have shoplifting records for stealing Candy . What kid including me hasn't stolen candy . I will say this : I was shocked to learn they were just kids . I'm 6 ' 1" . They were both taller and bigger than I am . Inner city kids with no parents . Not sure if it's ok to throw them into the system. At least not to the extent the PA is going to push for . Like I said they already confessed . We shall see

Riotsloth

Sep 16, 2018
Haywards Heath
I was once on Temazepam (morphine based I think, not sure).

Temazepam is a benzodiazepine, not morphine based. Benzos are brilliant drugs when used correctly and very nasty when abused (see: Valium, 1970's). They are also a muscle relaxant, so high doses can make you struggle to stand!

Rick53

Feb 12, 2020
Muskegon, MI, USA

On One Mary Bar

On One Geoff

Just noticed M5 bolt . My Screw nut accepts M6 . Where did you get M5 from

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles