• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered GoPro footage editing. Free and for beginners.

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
Rugeley, England United Kingdom
Hello all, just picked up a second hand GoPro Hero 3 Black, had the original Hero and lost it descending Cadair Idris on the fat bike years ago and just never bothered to replace it.
Back then good old Windows movie maker was all I needed to put my rubbish vids up on my YouTube channel, but as that is no longer supported, what do you good folk use? I've heard the GoPro editing app is very poor.
Nothing fancy, free, easy to understand and just for basic editing and cropping etc
Thanks in advance.

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
Davinci Resolve is what I use and it's a free version, a bit complex to start with but once you do a couple of tutorials, there is a great couple including how to set up your gopro, from the Loam Ranger on his MTB youtube channel, it's the best.

Gw0175

Aug 30, 2020
Scotland
I usually just use the Gopro app. It isn't ideal but has the basics to create a decent edit reasonably quick.

Crazy that Gopro themselves don't offer proper editing software.

I tried various editors on the laptop but gave up as they seemed pretty complicated and time consuming. I'm sure if you stuck at them they'd be worth it.

I'll see if I have anything I can show you 👍🏻

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
I use the GoPro App on my phone for quick stuff or Power Director (also on my phone) to do more in-depth 4k edits. To do anything on the PC you'll need a more powerful processor etc thats costs thousands. yeah nah. Phone is where its at.

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
Davinci Resolve is what I use and it's a free version, a bit complex to start with but once you do a couple of tutorials, there is a great couple including how to set up your gopro, from the Loam Ranger on his MTB youtube channel, it's the best.

Cheers for that, I'll see if I can find that, seen other stuff from the loam ranger and really rated it 👍

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
I use GoPro Quik on my phone. Been using it for years and yes it has bugs but I recently subbed (about £10 or £15 a year) and it seems a lot more stable now. It's just the easiest and quickest way to knock up a short vid. Long stuff is waay too intensive for a phone. If you do use Quik, heres a tip: Delete the app and re-install after every video. Yes it's a pain but the app stores huge files that are not visible in file management and soon mount up quickly. You also need a good chunk of free storage to even start. I like around 20Gb free when making say a 5Gb video because Quik makes a copy of whatever you load into it, so thats 10Gb before you start.

Far from professional, but the one below took about 15 mins to make a 2.5min video, from about 12 short (1min or less) clips. I tend to take super short clips rather than one long one. I find it easier to manage and edit in Quik that way. It all depends what you want to do, all of my vids are purely for posterity, something to look back on with my kids/friends rather than trying to gain any kind of subs etc.

Kiteboy

Mar 30, 2022
USA
I upgraded to a new version of Vegas which handles GoPro files. But! Windows 10 has 'video Editor' which you have to search for in windows because there's no direct path to it (Thanks Bill). I haven't used it yet but it is reported to handle GoPro files as well as other popular file types and is about the same as the old Movie Maker (so I'm told).

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
I upgraded to a new version of Vegas which handles GoPro files. But! Windows 10 has 'video Editor' which you have to search for in windows because there's no direct path to it (Thanks Bill). I haven't used it yet but it is reported to handle GoPro files as well as other popular file types and is about the same as the old Movie Maker (so I'm told).

Just tried that, works quite well - thanks!

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Another vote for the GoPro Quik app on your phone

I’ve used all sorts of software in the past, more recently Luma Fusion on the ipad, and some of the editing software steals hours from your life! GoPro Quik just works, and as the name suggests, it’s quick. You can knock up a decent <10 minute edit in less than an hour and send it to YouTube to upload. Easy to use on your phone too, so less faffing

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles