Gone tubless ....need adive please !!!

Benny22

May 9, 2020
Otley
evening all

So I've decided to go tubless at last and this is my first attempt at it. I have managed the front without any issues however after about 20 mins the tyre loses psi (around 20) is this normal for the first install ? I have no sealant leaking from anywhere and can't hear any air leaking .
I've used 25mm gorilla tape
Muc off sealant and valves
WTB i29 serra wheels .

Tia

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Spin the tyre round to spread the sealant .
Pump it up to round 40 PSI . Let sit for a cpl of hours .

If that doesn`t work check no leak at the valve stem . Next step is check the rim tape .

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The sealant needs distributing. Hold the wheel horizontal and shake it back and forth, side to side. Flip it and repeat.

Pump up to at least 30 psi. Then leave the wheel on a bucket or a plant pot. for 30 mins, flip and leave for 30 mins, check pressure. If a big loss, repeat. if its a small loss, put the wheel on the bike and ride up and down the street for a while. Re-test.

If it is still losing do a water test. i use my water butt, but a washing up bowl or your pond will do, don't need to get the whole wheel under water. Look out for bubbles from the valve and from that little vent hole in your rim.

If it's the valve hole, two choices.
One: Orientate the wheel so that the sealant is around the valve hole for a while. Repeat the above.
Two: Stand the wheel with the valve uppermost for a while to allow the sealant to drain down. Deflate the tyre, loosen the tyre on one side near the valve (probably have to do all the way around). Don't spill the sealant. Remove the valve and wrap plumber's ptfe tape around the base of the rubber bung, 2-3 wraps should, be enough. Refit valve, tap in gently with a soft hammer. Do not over tighten the lock nut. inflate and repeat the above as required.

If it is the rim hole, bad news. Strip the whole thing down and remove the rim tape, clean up.. Pour out the sealant into a container, I use a 4-pint milk container cut sideways, it is a good collector, and a good pourer too when it comes to reusing the sealant. Refit the rim tape, using two layers this time. Stretch it out and press it down as you go, smooth out with finger pressure afterwards. I do one strip to the left and one to the right. Overlap the valve hole by about 4" on each wrap. Pierce through with a pointy thing, I use a bradawl. Follow through with something bigger and smooth to round out the hole. A small screwdriver would do it.

Going tubeless is easier than a beginner makes it look, but harder than an expert makes it look. Keep at it as you too will soon be giving advice! :)

Benny22

May 9, 2020
Otley
The sealant needs distributing. Hold the wheel horizontal and shake it back and forth, side to side. Flip it and repeat.

Pump up to at least 30 psi. Then leave the wheel on a bucket or a plant pot. for 30 mins, flip and leave for 30 mins, check pressure. If a big loss, repeat. if its a small loss, put the wheel on the bike and ride up and down the street for a while. Re-test.

If it is still losing do a water test. i use my water butt, but a washing up bowl or your pond will do, don't need to get the whole wheel under water. Look out for bubbles from the valve and from that little vent hole in your rim.

If it's the valve hole, two choices.
One: Orientate the wheel so that the sealant is around the valve hole for a while. Repeat the above.
Two: Stand the wheel with the valve uppermost for a while to allow the sealant to drain down. Deflate the tyre, loosen the tyre on one side near the valve (probably have to do all the way around). Don't spill the sealant. Remove the valve and wrap plumber's ptfe tape around the base of the rubber bung, 2-3 wraps should, be enough. Refit valve, tap in gently with a soft hammer. Do not over tighten the lock nut. inflate and repeat the above as required.

If it is the rim hole, bad news. Strip the whole thing down and remove the rim tape, clean up.. Pour out the sealant into a container, I use a 4-pint milk container cut sideways, it is a good collector, and a good pourer too when it comes to reusing the sealant. Refit the rim tape, using two layers this time. Stretch it out and press it down as you go, smooth out with finger pressure afterwards. I do one strip to the left and one to the right. Overlap the valve hole by about 4" on each wrap. Pierce through with a pointy thing, I use a bradawl. Follow through with something bigger and smooth to round out the hole. A small screwdriver would do it.

Going tubeless is easier than a beginner makes it look, but harder than an expert makes it look. Keep at it as you too will soon be giving advice! :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles