Glasgow: Stilus v2

stonedwolf

Mar 13, 2022
Glasgow
Hey all

I'm based in Glasgow looking to get some advice for buying my 1st e-bike, Decathlon Stilus looking likely. I'll post separately about that.

I've done some standard hardtail (Halfords Carerra LOL) on the 7-Stanes type places but not for a few years and I've gotten old and fat in the meantime so I'm looking to get fitness back. I'll be back to the 7-Stanes type places along with my local areas (esp Kilpatrick Braes, Mugdock Park, and I should explore the Cathkin Braes).

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
Based in Glasgow; been here since 2005 and in Scotland since 1992, but not 'indigenous'. 🤪
Actually also not indigenous, but lived here since age 5 to Scottish parents, gramps etc. Actually born in small village in the deep south of England(Only dont tell anyone ;))

I actually wonder if I'd have nationality problems should Scotland ever become independent 😂

I'm on the southside. I dont really ride offroad now, because A. Im rubbish at it, B. Too many falls and pretty serious damage leaves me with the fear and C. Im a complete mincer anyway :LOL:
So now I potter about, trips to the west end for a parooze around the bike station, coffee and buns, a sit in the park for a ciggie. But bike is my only transport so getting further afield is a difficult undertaking. I would sure like to get out into the country. Maybe one day though.

Last edited:

stonedwolf

Mar 13, 2022
Glasgow
Well I actually wrote to the SNP during IndyRef 1 and asked them, they said all residents would be given the chance to naturalise and gain a Scottish passport.

What kind of off-roading were you doing to crash? Were you doing the easy muddy braes and gravelly forestry tracks, or were you trying to do some heroic downhill fun stuff?

When I went down some of the 7-Stanes tracks I think I was descending slower than I climbed... and I was not a fast climber. :LOL:

stonedwolf

Mar 13, 2022
Glasgow
So that's me having taken the plunge to get a Stilus v2. They seemed to be running low on stock, out except 4 XL, so I grabbed one. The Glasgow store gets it Saturday, I should get it next week.

Any recommendations for a Bosch-capable mechanic to give it a once-over verification? A double check on fit won't hurt.

stonedwolf

Mar 13, 2022
Glasgow
But bike is my only transport so getting further afield is a difficult undertaking. I would sure like to get out into the country. Maybe one day though.

I certainly don't have the ability modify my Clio just yet to take a bike, let alone two, but if you can get to Partick train station you can get to the Kilpatrick Braes, I've used that service enough for hill walking. For whatever reason I find the trip Partick -> Old Kilpatrick takes half an hour, but OK->P takes about an hour and goes to every wee stop along the way.

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
The Glasgow store gets it Saturday, I should get it next week.
Which Glasgow store ?. Is this from Go outdoors or decathlon or from a bike shop bike shop.
Any recommendations for a Bosch-capable mechanic to give it a once-over verification? A double check on fit won't hurt.
Sorry no. I bought from a bike shop, because they can do any servicing or perform any changes i make. Wherever you buy it should set it up for you, as in unpack the box and check through to see all is tight, nothing loose or amiss, battery fully charges etc etc. But im not sure as of this point if any of the proper bike shop would take on an ebike for pre flight check so to speak. Whats your experience in fixing bikes ?. Have you tools,bike stand, a decent torque wrench etc ?.

" A double check on fit won't hurt."
What height are you ?. If you fall between the size guide for that frame size X height to X height you should be ok.

" What kind of off-roading were you doing to crash? "
Me and a mate polished off a bottle of vodka in a little under an hour then I rode home. Slap back into a traffic calming measure type of raised pavement type. Full OTB's and near broke my neck. Took 5 years for the pain to go away completely.
And a few offs in trail centers like Drumlanrig. And i fked my back in a fall at home, ambulance job, morphine,OT torture operatives, the works. So im reluctant to do anything that could aggravate those injuries.

Last edited:

stonedwolf

Mar 13, 2022
Glasgow
Picked up from Decathlon. Very impressed so far with a bit of city riding.

I have no bike tools, stand, wrench, etc., I need to go through and get everything bit by bit.

Ah, I fully understand now about being cautious about getting a further injury.

tolmie35

Jul 29, 2021
Glasgow
Hi guys, another from Glasgow, I live near the bike track at Cathkin Braes, you can see my cycling down the cathkin bypass to work a few times a week, currently ridding a giant fathom ebike, im 43 and just got into cycling after doing nothing for 20 years and wanting to improve fitness/health/wellbeing.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles