GIANT TRANCE X+3 PRO FORK UPGRADE

notsoeasyrider

May 10, 2021
Greece
Hello fellow emtbikers!

I am a proud owner of a Giant Trance X E+ 3 Pro 29 2021 model. I am a beginner as I started riding due to the lockdown and been riding the last 6 months nonstop

The front suspension on the trance 3 is a rockshox 35 gold rl. I don’t believe is great, no sensitivity at all although it does its jobs on the jumps (max 0.5 meters is what I jump).it feels very rigid and hard. In any case after reading various online forums on how to improve my susp or whether it is something wrong with it just seems that this font suspension is bad and there is no hope on improving it but only changing it.

The terrain I ride is mostly very rocky and more downhill than trail (this is a video of my local trails (no im not the one riding lol) ). The maximum speed I ride is 35-40km (MAX) but most of the time in the range of 20-30km. I don’t do jumps more than 0.5 -1 meters high and don’t really intend to do any bigger jumps (cant risk an injury at 31!).

I am thinking therefore of changing the front suspension and have looked at the following:

• Lyrik Select or Lyrik Ultimate
  • Zeb Select or Zeb Ultimate
  • Marchozzi Bomber Z1
I really like the geometry of the bike and after the change I want the geometry to stay IDENTICAL as before. I understand that the thicker stanchions wont really affect the geometry. Am I correct?

My questions mainly are:

• Is Zeb an overkill? One of the LBS told me that due to the weight of the bike a ZEB is a must (I don’t really trust them as they have about 20 ZEB in stock and no other suspension and in the beginning they wanted to sell me a Boxxer 200mm on this bike lol) but I am afraid that it will be too stiff for me and tiring on long rides. I believe the Lyrik will be more appropriate for me but the LBS insists
  • Is there really a difference on beginner between a Select/Ultimate model? I don’t want to spend ages on tuning my suspension but again the LBS told me that the damper on ultimate will make a huge difference while there is no point upgrading from 35 gold to the Select models (they only have ultimate in stock so again I don’t really trust them)
  • What about the Marzocchi? I can find it for 600 Eur and I understand that effectively it is a fox 36 abit heavier.
  • Is it really worth upgrading? Will there be a noticeable difference on me?
Thank you all in advance for your input and time

Crawford919

Aug 7, 2019
USA
I have a Marzocchi Bomber with 160mm on mine and it’s the best upgrade I think you could do. Made the bike better in every way. And this fork is identical internally to a Fox 36 and cheaper. The extra 10mm makes it much better and dose not affect it in anyway negatively. You could go 170mm I think and would be fine also.

D8C5155E-86D5-472D-BAF9-3BAA89F98DB8.jpeg

22663D00-F0FA-4513-9A43-30A114DBAE3C.jpeg

notsoeasyrider

May 10, 2021
Greece
I have a Marzocchi Bomber with 160mm on mine and it’s the best upgrade I think you could do. Made the bike better in every way. And this fork is identical internally to a Fox 36 and cheaper. The extra 10mm makes it much better and dose not affect it in anyway negatively. You could go 170mm I think and would be fine also.

View attachment 61115

View attachment 61116
thank you for the reply. Your bike looks very COOL.
I dont disagree but since if i buy it i wotn be able to return it and since the current geometry works perfect for me im really afraid to mess with it and in any case 150mm is more than enough for me.
How sensitive is the Bomber from your experience especially at small bumps at medium speed?
And how easy is it to tune it to your liking?

gbarfoot

Sep 1, 2020
Colorado usa
Look at the z1 coil...it is a very nice fork for the price and with the weight of the bike you won't notice the extra weight of the spring. It has thicker stanchions like the ebike fox forks so I think it's a good match for the bike. I believe it only adjusts from 160-180mm but can be easily adjusted with included spacers so no need for new parts. Here is a 160 on mine.

PXL_20201224_231347526.jpg

notsoeasyrider

May 10, 2021
Greece
Look at the z1 coil...it is a very nice fork for the price and with the weight of the bike you won't notice the extra weight of the spring. It has thicker stanchions like the ebike fox forks so I think it's a good match for the bike. I believe it only adjusts from 160-180mm but can be easily adjusted with included spacers so no need for new parts. Here is a 160 on mine.

View attachment 61119

thank you for the reply! What is actually the difference between a coil and an air fork for the average user? is this the E+1 pro btw which had the Fox 36 fork? Why did you change it the Coil Bomber?

gbarfoot

Sep 1, 2020
Colorado usa
thank you for the reply! What is actually the difference between a coil and an air fork for the average user? is this the E+1 pro btw which had the Fox 36 fork? Why did you change it the Coil Bomber?
Yes it is the +1 which had the air E36. I live in a very rocky area (front range of Colorado) and I did not like how harsh the 36 felt on rocks and braking bumps. The coil is much smoother in the first part of the travel over small bumps and chatter and feels like it finds more traction as it's very reactive and consistent. An air fork is lighter and has a very adjustable spring so one fork can for a light rider or a heavy rider just by pumping it up. Air is also very progressive so it gets firm at the bottom of the travel and resists bottom out. A coil is linear and can bottom out easier if you don't have the correct spring rate installed...I have the heavy green? spring installed and even taking it to the jump park I just turn the knob so the compression is stiff and it still ramps up and doesn't blow through it's stroke. It's a good fork. Here's some good reading The best mountain bike fork 2021 – 9 suspension forks in review | ENDURO Mountainbike Magazine

Crawford919

Aug 7, 2019
USA
thank you for the reply. Your bike looks very COOL.
I dont disagree but since if i buy it i wotn be able to return it and since the current geometry works perfect for me im really afraid to mess with it and in any case 150mm is more than enough for me.
How sensitive is the Bomber from your experience especially at small bumps at medium speed?
And how easy is it to tune it to your liking?
I’m running mine stock with no air spacers and 65psi. I weigh 175lbs. It is very supple on the small stuff and has good hold up in the jump. I would strongly suggest 160mm the extra lets you run a lower pressure and have the same ride height. If you go to a trail with big jumps you can run 75 psi and it is awesome for that as well.

MinusPrevious

Sep 5, 2019
So.Cal
Im on the 170mm Bomber front & 140mm rear. Love it! Super buttery off the top of the stroke.
P3220057.JPG

Last edited:

malc101

Nov 29, 2021
Upstate, NY
My Zeb 160mm Ultimate is a big improvement over 35 Gold 150mm. It seems to eat up the chatter. 160mm gives maybe a slight increase in stability at speed, no additional wobble during climbs.

EnduroDad2k

Aug 19, 2021
Oakland, CA US
Hi all, I'm facing the same dilemma trying to decide if I should upgrade my stock Rockshox RL35 gold on my 2021 Trance (150, 44 offset). Like @notsoeasyrider mentioned it's okay on the hard hits, but it's harsh on everything else. And my rebound adjuster is useless, only a slight barely noticeable difference between extreme settings.

I'm relatively new so I don't have much experience with better forks. I know it's subjective, but if anyone has made a similar upgrade how much of an impact did it make to your riding?

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
I am no suspension expert. What is your weight?
From experience i found a different guy at your bike shop might find
a better tuning for you. Describe what you want, it might save you $$.
In your case i would try 10 PSI less and if still not happy again drop 10 PSI.
Good luck.

notsoeasyrider

May 10, 2021
Greece
Hi all, I'm facing the same dilemma trying to decide if I should upgrade my stock Rockshox RL35 gold on my 2021 Trance (150, 44 offset). Like @notsoeasyrider mentioned it's okay on the hard hits, but it's harsh on everything else. And my rebound adjuster is useless, only a slight barely noticeable difference between extreme settings.

I'm relatively new so I don't have much experience with better forks. I know it's subjective, but if anyone has made a similar upgrade how much of an impact did it make to your riding?

So the way my suspension improved alot is i went to the bike mechanic and he added some oil which helped alot with small bump sensitivity for about 10 days.
I didnt upgrade my fork in the end because the frame broke and since there was no replacement available i got my money back and got a moustache game 6.
I have to say that the fox 38 of the moustache js a huge improvement over the 35 gold.
What i would do is either buy a lyrik used or a bomber used or either sell the bike and buy the new reign or new trance with a better fork.

EnduroDad2k

Aug 19, 2021
Oakland, CA US
I am no suspension expert. What is your weight?
From experience i found a different guy at your bike shop might find
a better tuning for you. Describe what you want, it might save you $$.
In your case i would try 10 PSI less and if still not happy again drop 10 PSI.
Good luck.

Thanks for the tip! I've been going by the Rockshox calculator and set it at 93psi. I'm 175lbs / 79kg, typical trail riding. I don't think the 35RL offers many tuning options but I could be mistaken. I'll give the lower pressure a try and see how well it works.

EnduroDad2k

Aug 19, 2021
Oakland, CA US
So the way my suspension improved alot is i went to the bike mechanic and he added some oil which helped alot with small bump sensitivity for about 10 days.
I didnt upgrade my fork in the end because the frame broke and since there was no replacement available i got my money back and got a moustache game 6.
I have to say that the fox 38 of the moustache js a huge improvement over the 35 gold.
What i would do is either buy a lyrik used or a bomber used or either sell the bike and buy the new reign or new trance with a better fork.

Thanks @notsoeasyrider, sorry the frame broke. Was it a defect? The Moustache looks like a nice upgrade!

I'm starting to look around for a used mid-level fork. It doesn't look like I'll get much back selling the 35RL, so maybe I'll just hang onto it and reinstall when I sell the Trance. Got my eye on the Orbea Rise alum. :)

notsoeasyrider

May 10, 2021
Greece
Thanks @notsoeasyrider, sorry the frame broke. Was it a defect? The Moustache looks like a nice upgrade!

I'm starting to look around for a used mid-level fork. It doesn't look like I'll get much back selling the 35RL, so maybe I'll just hang onto it and reinstall when I sell the Trance. Got my eye on the Orbea Rise alum. :)
It was a defect where the motor connects with the frame. Motor just fell! But giant warranty is top notch.
A used lyrik will be great and if you search enough you will find one cheap enough.. orbea rise looks awesome but im lazy so....
And the moustache is an amazing bike but i do prefer yamaha motor than bosch.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles