Giant trance where to repair?

bulek

Jun 27, 2022
london
The bike shut down unexpectedly. People at Giant are saying they can change wires for £400 but they are not too sure if that will resolve the problem as it could be a faulty motor too
Looks like they are just guessing.

Buckaroony

Dec 17, 2021
UK
The bike shut down unexpectedly. People at Giant are saying they can change wires for £400 but they are not too sure if that will resolve the problem as it could be a faulty motor too
Looks like they are just guessing.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@bulek As brilliant as those guys are, they only fix the motor. They can't fix anything that is on the bike.

I do not have a Giant, so take that into account on the rest of this post.

Check for loose connections into the display unit, in fact to anywhere that you can reach without dismantling anything. Bikes are ridden through shrubbery and the cables can snag. That happened to me, took 30 mins to find, 3 seconds to fix.

Some "on" switches have a battery. The battery is charged from the main battery. An occasional confluence of events can lead to the "on" switch battery going flat. Some batteries have a separate on switch that can be reached through a small hole in the frame. All you need is a small Allen key.

After that it starts to get harder. Start removing covers to expose connections to the battery and motor. Also check that the battery has not moved inside the bike frame. Have you removed the motor or battery recently? If so, might replacement have trapped or crimped any wires? Even just squashing them a bit can cause an intermittent fault. That happened to me, took hours and a trip to the bike shop to find, and even they didn't find it first time. New wire £7, but motor and battery needed to be removed to allow wire replacement, followed by very careful refitting of battery and motor. No idea how much that cost as it was under warranty from the previous battery replacement that had trapped the control wire.

I hope that helps. Good luck. :)

lee1112

Oct 7, 2023
Stratford-upon-Avon
Does the battery leds lights up? Theres a test proceedure on line that you can do which tests the cells.
Remove the bottom motor cover. Ive managed to do it without removing crank arm enough to see inside motor and frame tube. Inside frame tube there are some connectors. Make sure none have come apart or wet inside. Use dielectric grease to insulate and make water tight. Look for damaged wires. May have rubbed against. Use app to diagnose battery, motor and software etc. Should get 3 ticks on app. If not then that will guide you where to look

paullin523

Feb 7, 2024
Indianapolis
It may not be what you think. After a ride last week, my 2022 Trance Advanced X E+2 would not turn on. I then tried to charge the battery to 100% but the charger went solid red meaning it will not charge the battery. I removed the battery from the bike and then tried to recharge but the Smart Charger remained solid red (it will not charge the battery).
I checked the LEDs on the 625Wh battery, 3 lit up indicating at least a 50% charge remaining in the battery pack. I installed the battery back into the bike and it still would not turn on. FYI, if one of the 40 cells drops voltage or fails, the BMC will not allow the bike to operate in an unbalanced state. I took my bike to my Giant LBS who agreed that the battery (and charger) were the problem. I now have a new battery under warranty and the bike is fine. A new charger is on the way. Good luck.

bulek

Jun 27, 2022
london
In short
Giant checked the bike and quoted to replace wires and controller for £350 as the connectors were corroded
After a few days, they suggested a new motor for £1k+ as replacing the wires may not solve the problem

I've said to them that the motor and wires were done by them under warranty around two years ago
and just asked them to replace the wires

The bike came back from Giant in London Twickenham, they gave me back the old wiring and it looks like only one cable was the problem :(

The bike is working fine but , ..... check the photos below and see how it came back from the service
WhatsApp Image 2024-04-15 at 18.43.41(1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-04-15 at 18.43.41.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-04-15 at 18.43.40(1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-04-15 at 18.43.40.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-04-15 at 18.43.38.jpeg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK

The bike is working fine but , ..... check the photos below and see how it came back from the service
It doesn't look first rate, that's for sure. :(
But why did you send a mucky bike off for a service? It can't set the mechanic's mind up well when starting off with a bike that he has to clean before he makes a start. :unsure:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles