Giant Trance E+1 or Merida Eone sixty 900e help me choose plz

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
About to purchase my first ebike and I've whittled it down to these 2 models. I love different things about them and struggling to choose. I love the giants intergrated battery and motor although a little noisier than the shimano but hate the orange colour, also I've seen a few issues with the hub and controller online. I love the specs and feel of the merida but i noticed with the shimano motor if you stop pedalling while rolling and then start pedalling again there is like an engagement clunk every time, it feels weird but i rode 4 different shimano powered bikes and they all do it whereas the giant is seemless. I'm also not a fan of the external battery but the bike is to be ridden not looked at so its not a deal breaker.

I know its going to come down to feel for me but they both feel amazing. Can anyone add any thoughts that i may have missed that may sway my descision. They are both roughly the same price.

Thanks for any suggestions

Kangr

Patreon
Sep 14, 2018
Stoke on Trent
You do notice the clunk in boost mode on the shimano system but not so much in trail, where it does seem a lot smoother.

I've not ridden the Yamaha motor yet but those people i know who have (mainly shop owners) really like it.

The only piece of advice i can give is make sure the battery is removable else this can cause problems down the line. for a start you will want to keep the battery somewhere warm in winter and its easier to take a battery into a warm house than a full bike. its also easier if on trips away to take a battery into your hotel room to charge. plus the advantage of buying a extra battery for massive days out or weekends away (without charging facility)

HikerDave

Feb 9, 2019
Tempe
About to purchase my first ebike and I've whittled it down to these 2 models. I love different things about them and struggling to choose. I love the giants intergrated battery and motor although a little noisier than the shimano but hate the orange colour, also I've seen a few issues with the hub and controller online. I love the specs and feel of the merida but i noticed with the shimano motor if you stop pedalling while rolling and then start pedalling again there is like an engagement clunk every time, it feels weird but i rode 4 different shimano powered bikes and they all do it whereas the giant is seemless. I'm also not a fan of the external battery but the bike is to be ridden not looked at so its not a deal breaker.

I know its going to come down to feel for me but they both feel amazing. Can anyone add any thoughts that i may have missed that may sway my descision. They are both roughly the same price.

Thanks for any suggestions

Probably you should just toss a coin; they are both great bikes. I rode the Giant at a demo on a gravely and rocky uphill; that Maestro suspension is simply amazing.

Similar geometry except that the Giant has long chainstays - if you like jumping off small ledges instead of rolling you might want the Merida instead; I have trouble timing jumps on my Yamaha-equipped long-chainstay Haibike.

Merida has the more adjustable X2 shock but it might be take time to get that dialed in (according to a review I read).

I think that you’re leaning in the right direction; the Merida seems slightly better.

Reactions: iXi

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Probably you should just toss a coin; they are both great bikes. I rode the Giant at a demo on a gravely and rocky uphill; that Maestro suspension is simply amazing.

Similar geometry except that the Giant has long chainstays - if you like jumping off small ledges instead of rolling you might want the Merida instead; I have trouble timing jumps on my Yamaha-equipped long-chainstay Haibike.

Merida has the more adjustable X2 shock but it might be take time to get that dialed in (according to a review I read).

I think that you’re leaning in the right direction; the Merida seems slightly better.

My mate has the +2, which I recommended to him. I don't think the spec is too much different, if I am thinking of the correct model, to the +1 and it is a rather lovely black and blue colour scheme. It is far neater looking than the Merida, which I have never ridden.

The Yamaha motor is very strong and he is getting very impressive battery range from it. I just could not live with the constant 'growl' from the Yam motor though. (he's ok with it cos he's pretty deaf).

Lee67

Nov 21, 2018
Yorkshire
I have two giant e bikes... neither have had hub or controller issues in 1000 miles.( my first stance had a motor issue and was changed for a new bike by giant within 3 days!!).. the yamaha motor imo is a beast and gives amazing range

HikerDave

Feb 9, 2019
Tempe
I have two giant e bikes... neither have had hub or controller issues in 1000 miles.( my first stance had a motor issue and was changed for a new bike by giant within 3 days!!).. the yamaha motor imo is a beast and gives amazing range

I have no doubt that big and reputable companies like Giant and Yamaha would have addressed these issues right away; a company can lose a lot of money quickly on warranty costs so they are motivated to fix problems right away. I doubt that a recent-production bicycle would have any of the same problems as early production.

poppy

Jun 26, 2018
Gold Coast Queensland
I test rode the Merida, Specialized Levo and Kenevo, Giant E Trance. Didn't like the Levo much, the Merida was great, really liked the Kenevo, but went with the Giant. Took a fair while to decide, came down to knit picking things i liked. Went with the Giant mainly because it was the new 19 model and figured should be good for updates/upgrades for the next few years before they change to much keeping the bike more current.

I purchased the E Pro 1. I had issues with it basically from the time of purchase. The 1st issue was the battery charger blew up. This was replaced immediately by the shop. Then i had issues with it turning off when riding, then i had issues with it turning on when washing, then i had issues with breaking rear hubs. Everytime though, the shop was extremely helpfull and not once did they ever try and fob me off. Bike was looked at everytime immediately, and shop owner gave me his number to call directly. There service and friendlyness has been outstanding.

In the end the shop owner took a drive to the distributor and picked up another new bike for me. I decided to ask about maybe upgrading to the 0 as i liked the bike. He did and awesome deal on it so i went that that way and could not be happier with the bike. It has been awesome and performed faultlessly. Even had it back for its first service instead of fault finding. I think having a good dealer is also an important part of the equation when your working out which bike to buy.

Last edited:

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
The giant is my preferred pick, the motor is what tipped me over the edge. It just feels better than the shimano for me but there is no XLs in the country and may be a 17 week wait so I may end up with the merida yet. Thank you to everyone for the suggestions

Last edited:

poppy

Jun 26, 2018
Gold Coast Queensland
The giant is my preferred pick, the motor is what tipped me over the edge. It just feels better than the shimano for me but there is no XLs in the country and may be a 17 week wait so I may end up with the merida yet. Thank you to everyone for the suggestions

Good luck mate, it's a nice headache to have choosing, in the end you just have to jump.

StevenM

Sep 22, 2018
Ipswich Qld Australia

How tall are you mate?

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
How tall are you mate?

I'm 188cm without shoes. I'm right on the cusp as per the Australian giant website between L and XL. I found my arse sitting right on the back of the seat, even slightly off and a feeling of being over the bars so to speak on the L. . I have an unusual body shape in that my legs are short for my height and my torso long.

The merida in the large felt fine but a large in the Norco and cube felt small.

Last edited:

Rawry

Nov 27, 2018
Cleveland
I have the Giant e +pro and the bike is amazing i used to have a levo which i liked but this is something else. The engine just keeps pulling on the steep climbs and the power is instant as for the noise yes it is louder than the levo but think i have that much fun on the bike i don't really hear it. It does all the down hill that you could want no problem and yes i have had some teething problems with the controller but the bike shop has been excellent and getting me a new one but it is a new model and these things are going to happen. I agree about the going over the bars felling so i put some 35mm rental bars on and this has made a massive difference, i hope this helps.

Rawry

Nov 27, 2018
Cleveland
my Bike

9GioVzExQqa4tcdfqKsAcg.jpg

StevenM

Sep 22, 2018
Ipswich Qld Australia
I'm 188cm without shoes. I'm right on the cusp as per the Australian giant website between L and XL. I found my arse sitting right on the back of the seat, even slightly off and a feeling of being over the bars so to speak on the L. . I have an unusual body shape in that my legs are short for my height and my torso long.

The merida in the large felt fine but a large in the Norco and cube felt small.

Know the feeling. I purchased a L 5 months ago. Seat is all the way back and still not happy. Just purchased a 70mm stem yesterday and if that does not help then it’s up for sale.

The Giant comes standard with a 50mm on the L. The XL has 20mm more reach and then a 60mm stem.

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
Test ride them if you can...
I´m a Giant user (trance for MTB and Defy for the road and love both) . Giant local seller changed and a visit to another brand shop (with a very professional atention to client ) and a couple of test rides changed my bias to buy a diferente brand.

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
Giant have got back to me and said 6 week wait for the XL so now to see if I can hold out that long.

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
Well I couldn't wait, the money was burning a hole in my pocket so I went and had another run on the Norco vlt 2 and with a few adjustments I was sold.

Initially I thought it felt small but after riding it again it didn't seem so bad so I bought it. I went for an hour and half ride through the muddy trails today and it was all good, so much fun smashing it up the hills as well as down, if there is one little thing that shits me it's the shimano motors tendency to be on and off like a new brides nighty especially when you hover around the 25-27k mark. I reckon I'll get use to it.

Julio

Dec 21, 2018
New Zealand
Well I couldn't wait, the money was burning a hole in my pocket so I went and had another run on the Norco vlt 2 and with a few adjustments I was sold.

Initially I thought it felt small but after riding it again it didn't seem so bad so I bought it. I went for an hour and half ride through the muddy trails today and it was all good, so much fun smashing it up the hills as well as down, if there is one little thing that shits me it's the shimano motors tendency to be on and off like a new brides nighty especially when you hover around the 25-27k mark. I reckon I'll get use to it.
The only motor that I am aware of that does not do this at the assist cut out is the Brose in the Specialized. The Bosch CX in my Trek is particularly aggressive in cutting out and in again at 32km/h.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles