Giant Reign E+1 hub engagement

Le_fabulero75

Nov 7, 2023
Australia
I love my reign E+1 20022 model, big burly bike i can pretty much throw at anything. Only thing is the noise generated by the rear end - i think combo of super stiff wheelset ( I need to add an insert ) and the sloppy freehub engagement. Can you rebuild these Giant brand hubs with a quick engagement pawl set? I think this would decrease the drivetrtain clank significantly.

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
I love my reign E+1 20022 model, big burly bike i can pretty much throw at anything. Only thing is the noise generated by the rear end - i think combo of super stiff wheelset ( I need to add an insert ) and the sloppy freehub engagement. Can you rebuild these Giant brand hubs with a quick engagement pawl set? I think this would decrease the drivetrtain clank significantly.
On my daughters Giant it had rebranded DT Swiss hubs, so depends what model it has weather or not you could upgrade.
If not, hub swap.

big_scot_nanny

Subscriber
Nov 23, 2022
Scotland
I have the same bike, bike shop tells me they are rebranded DT swiss 370 hubs. I believe they are not convertible to ratchet which would give you faster engagement, whereas the 350 hubs are. So, as above, hub swap needed.

However, before you do that... I ride using both original wheels, and also a second rear wheel with a 102t ratchet and very fast engagement. On a normal bike, this is extremely noticeable to me and I love the faster pick up, esp in slow speed tech uphill sections.

However, on the Reign E+ I find it pointless, as the pickup from the motor freewheel is slower than the rear hub. So there is no benefit.

Hope I explained that well, interested to hear if anyone else shares the same experience.

Reactions: Jme

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
I have a DT Swiss 370 hybrid rear wheel that has the ratchet freewheel in steel for ebikes. It only has about 24 teeth for strength. It works fine pickup wise. So you should be able to get a conversion kit.

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
I have nice wheels on my Giant and the engagement is still pretty average and there is a lot of noise back there. As others have said the chainring freewheel up front has quite a high angle of engagement. I would say you are better off just getting used to the noise/engagement, or upgrade to a higher end wheels to improve bike ride quality (stock giant alu ones are quite heavy yet not too tough).

Le_fabulero75

Nov 7, 2023
Australia
I have the same bike, bike shop tells me they are rebranded DT swiss 370 hubs. I believe they are not convertible to ratchet which would give you faster engagement, whereas the 350 hubs are. So, as above, hub swap needed.

However, before you do that... I ride using both original wheels, and also a second rear wheel with a 102t ratchet and very fast engagement. On a normal bike, this is extremely noticeable to me and I love the faster pick up, esp in slow speed tech uphill sections.

However, on the Reign E+ I find it pointless, as the pickup from the motor freewheel is slower than the rear hub. So there is no benefit.

Hope I explained that well, interested to hear if anyone else shares the same experience.
Thanks for the info. Am i alone in having a bikes thats a bit noisy? I do agree with the motor engaagemnet as well, and think its the combo of evereything thats is making the noise. Ive been spoilt with my other bike being an almost silent Nukeproof reactor. Also, Did repack the grease in the freewheeel body and under cassette and that made a small amount of difference.

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
Thanks for the info. Am i alone in having a bikes thats a bit noisy? I do agree with the motor engaagemnet as well, and think its the combo of evereything thats is making the noise. Ive been spoilt with my other bike being an almost silent Nukeproof reactor. Also, Did repack the grease in the freewheeel body and under cassette and that made a small amount of difference.
I run dt swiss wheels, if you are referring to the hub making loud buzzing: not on my bike

If you are referring to the rear end randomly making horrendous clangs: yes, worse than previous bikes despite same wheels and drivetrain. I think it is a combination of freewheel at the front allowing extra slack and thus force of movement of chain, + the bike resonating noise and vibrations more than other bikes.

SteveTTT

Mar 15, 2022
Hampshire, UK
I had a lot of slack in the hub on my Trance Ex Adv E+2, and a loud “clack” noise on bumps/rough ground, regardless of any load on the drivetrain. I thought the hub had gone but LBS said it was simply the cassette needed tightening, and that sorted it.

dimitrin

May 7, 2023
Central Texas
The issue with the yamaha motors on Giant bikes is they have a ratcheting engagement system that has 52 points of engagement.
This means that even if you have instant engagement silent hubs (I have Onyx hubs on my '23 Reign e+) the best you can obtain is 52 points of engagement and the ratchet noise equivalent to a 52 poi hub. Fwiw the dt swiss upgrade is 54 poi.
But in this case that would be 52 poi of the crankset compounded with the 54 poi of the hub... which I don't have any idea of how to calculate the sloppy engagement created by this. 🤷
The best engagement hubs on the market can't correct the inherent janky crank sloppiness of this drive system.
I enjoy my reign e+, but this is a huge shortcoming from Giant that I am surprised nobody talks about.
And I have yet to see any other brand that has this engagement shortcoming.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Are you sure these noises are caused by freehub engagement? An alternative cause could be the kinematics of the rear end and could be completely or partially improved with rear shock settings...or replacement rear shock. As mentioned a bove the majority of motors determine the "feel" of freewheel engagement rather than the freehub.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles