Gen2 cover plate gear assy repair

jerzees

Dec 2, 2021
Poland
Hello all and welcome,

After watching @Bearing Man videos I decided to perform bearing change myself. Well, it's not as easy as it looks on video :)
I didn't take pictures before pushing the bearings out and now have a problem: a grinding sound issue in cover plate gear assembly.
Questions:
- did I push main gear too deep? (see photo)
- does idle gear bering should have a shim? (I had a thought the inner race should not be touching the cover; but even then the noise wouldn't be so prominent I guess)

Just in case, here is a link to video with sound: grinding sounds

PXL_20211202_122637618.MP.jpg

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
Did you order the whole kit?
Have you done the left bearing to? That seems hard to do as I've watched some videos

I'm planning to do this myself to.

jerzees

Dec 2, 2021
Poland
Did you order the whole kit?

No, at the beginning I thought I need to replace only axle bearings. But the further I went the more problems I saw (motor has 14kkm). And in the end I have replaced 4 bearings (2 evidently broken, 2 slightly grinding under tension) just from the right side cover assembly, plus one from the left side.

Have you done the left bearing to? That seems hard to do as I've watched some videos

I'm planning to do this myself to.

It's hard if you are doing it for the first time. Even having access to car shop press it still takes time to find the tools/sockets/adapters and level elements properly. Left bearing was tricky on shop press, because there is very little flat surface available to work on. In the hindsight I see it would be much easier to press it back using manual screw-type pressing tool.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
Yea mine had 10 k km and I pressure wash my bike now and then( not full power at the motor).

I thought the kit contains most of the right bearing? Not planning to do the left side for now

jerzees

Dec 2, 2021
Poland
Yes, the Bosch CX BDU2xx repair kit replaces 6 out of 10 bearings and it's fairly easy to install.

jerzees

Dec 2, 2021
Poland
I had to use bearing puller because the inner race was seized on the shaft due to corrosion.
Normally, you should be able to get away with the screwdriver (don't forget to remove locking circlip from the shaft first):

Screenshot 2021-12-19 at 16.55.46.png

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
I had to use bearing puller because the inner race was seized on the shaft due to corrosion.
Normally, you should be able to get away with the screwdriver (don't forget to remove locking circlip from the shaft first):

View attachment 78430

I've been on it today.
Got the cover off, but it's impossible to get those gearwheels off without a puller
20211225_130543.jpg

jerzees

Dec 2, 2021
Poland
Well, it looks like the inner bearing has rusted to the shaft. In this case some kind of puller may be necessary indeed.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
Finished it today.

Eventually I had to hammer the wheel off because it was so stuck with rust..
All the metal gears where kinda rusted to( the grease was rust) the gears itself did not have any corrosion
20211226_103603.jpg

Most of the grease was also dried up.

Had to disassemble the whole motor to clean all the metal gears and re grease them..

20211226_113915.jpg

Also installed these bearing protection rings ( no idea if that's the way to do I diddnt find a manual)

Tested the motor so far and the difference in sound and smoothness and feeling is gigantic!

Best thing I've done to the bike lately!

And indeed the video of the bearing man is superb 👌

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles