G'day from Melbourne Australia.

Nato

Jan 10, 2020
Australia
Hi everyone,

I've been lurking on the forum for a long time, so i thought it was high time i introduced myself.
My names Nathan, i gave up dirt bikes three years ago and have been emtbing ever since.

In that time i've done 21,000 km and built up a small fleet of bikes, anyway nice to be here and see you all around the forum.

Nato

Jan 10, 2020
Australia
Well done Nato, got rid of my fleet of dirt bikes for 1 ebike, no looking back, enjoy
Thanks mate, I still have a collection of vintage Huskys that i've restored over the years. Do you have a 430, if so what year?

Nato

Jan 10, 2020
Australia
Welcome NATO, I hear that lock down has hit Oz again especially Melbourne
Hope you are still able to ride mtb
Thanks mate, Lockdown certainly has hit us again. we are only allowed to go 5km from home.
I live in a small country town, so I'm lucky that in that 5km radius i can ride out of home and into the bush where there's 40km of trails fpr me to ride. So i'm out pretty much everyday, lockdown doesn't bother me at all.

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
G `day Nathan

Qld `er here .
And yes we are on lock down too . Though similarly I have trails close to my home . Thank goodness .

One day I am coming to Victoria for a trip ...

Nato

Jan 10, 2020
Australia
Hey mate, fellow Victorian. What’s your local?
what bikes do you ride?
Good to see a fellow Victorian here.
I live in Gisborne, and there's good riding here, Wombat State Forest is a 6 minute drive and the riding there is awesome! I've also got Harcourt MTB park up the road along with lots of other good spots.

As for bikes, i have a few. 2020 Trek Rail 9, 2021 Trek Rail 9, 2020, Norco Sight 27.5, 2020 Norco Range and the Marin Alpine Trail E2 that was delivered yesterday.

Whereabouts are you located?

Nato

Jan 10, 2020
Australia
G `day Nathan

Qld `er here .
And yes we are on lock down too . Though similarly I have trails close to my home . Thank goodness .

One day I am coming to Victoria for a trip ...
There's lots of great places to ride here, so it will be well worth the trip (y)

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
I live in Gisborne, and there's good riding here, Wombat State Forest is a 6 minute drive and the riding there is awesome! I've also got Harcourt MTB park up the road along with lots of other good spots.

As for bikes, i have a few. 2020 Trek Rail 9, 2021 Trek Rail 9, 2020, Norco Sight 27.5, 2020 Norco Range and the Marin Alpine Trail E2 that was delivered yesterday.

Yeah sweet, I was out at Gisborne a few days ago, Wombat was closed due to a fair few trees down.
Harcourt is one of my favourite spots, track 6 and 2 are just awesome!
I’m in the city/suburbs so I’m usually riding everything up to a 1.5 hour radius of that and then all the Alpine’s when they’re open. I’m on a Specialized KSL, my mate just got his Marin yesterday but had to send it back due to some small damage on delivery.
What’s your riding style? I’m assuming your a bit of a thrasher?

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia

Holy cow, on the 7 th day do you rest?

I'm scared to ask about the husky collection. Tell me you're not one of Ian D's mates.

( Maffra, vic )

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
Hi everyone,

I've been lurking on the forum for a long time, so i thought it was high time i introduced myself.
My names Nathan, i gave up dirt bikes three years ago and have been emtbing ever since.

In that time i've done 21,000 km and built up a small fleet of bikes, anyway nice to be here and see you all around the forum.
Hi, with that distance did you find a system more reliable?

Nato

Jan 10, 2020
Australia
Holy cow, on the 7 th day do you rest?

I'm scared to ask about the husky collection. Tell me you're not one of Ian D's mates.

( Maffra, vic )
Nah, i'll rest when i'm dead! ?

No i'm not one of Ian D's mates, but if he's got a Husky collection he must be a good bloke.

Nato

Jan 10, 2020
Australia
Yeah sweet, I was out at Gisborne a few days ago, Wombat was closed due to a fair few trees down.
Harcourt is one of my favourite spots, track 6 and 2 are just awesome!
I’m in the city/suburbs so I’m usually riding everything up to a 1.5 hour radius of that and then all the Alpine’s when they’re open. I’m on a Specialized KSL, my mate just got his Marin yesterday but had to send it back due to some small damage on delivery.
What’s your riding style? I’m assuming your a bit of a thrasher?

Unfortunately i think Wombat will be closed for a while yet. 6 and 2 are a couple of my favourites as well, along with 3, 4, 5, 7 and 9.
My riding style is trying not to crash my brains out! but i like it when it gets rough and rowdy.
Pity about your mates Marin, i've been on mine a bit the last few days and its awesome!!

Reactions: CjP

Nato

Jan 10, 2020
Australia
Hi, with that distance did you find a system more reliable?
Thats a good question mate.
Overall from my experince they are both as reliable as each other. I've had a few minor niggles with both Bosch and Shimano.
If i had to pick one Shimano would be a whisker in front of Bosch in the reliability stakes.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Unfortunately i think Wombat will be closed for a while yet. 6 and 2 are a couple of my favourites as well, along with 3, 4, 5, 7 and 9.
My riding style is trying not to crash my brains out! but i like it when it gets rough and rowdy.
Pity about your mates Marin, i've been on mine a bit the last few days and its awesome!!
Ah bugger, does look a mess.
At least Harcourt is still good, hanging to get out there.

Jagtaguar

Aug 28, 2021
Australia

hey legend -just saw you have a rail 9 and a Marin alpine e2

also in lockdown in NSW ?

could I ask your thoughts on a comparison? I’ve got a rail 9 atm and seriously considering getting a Marin. I’ve upgraded the rail to 170/170 so I’d be keeping the Marin shorter for more pop and possibly running a X2 instead of the coil.

thanks for the reply in advance!

Nato

Jan 10, 2020
Australia
hey legend -just saw you have a rail 9 and a Marin alpine e2

also in lockdown in NSW ?

could I ask your thoughts on a comparison? I’ve got a rail 9 atm and seriously considering getting a Marin. I’ve upgraded the rail to 170/170 so I’d be keeping the Marin shorter for more pop and possibly running a X2 instead of the coil.

thanks for the reply in advance!

Hey mate, The Rail for outright speed, torque/power, battery life and range leaves the E2 for dead. The E2 i feel corners slightly better, which i'm putting down to the mullet setup. The E2 is better going downhill and i like the Fox 38's better than the Zeb's on the Rail.
The E2 is quieter and a really nice bike to ride but it just doesn't have the thrill factor that the Rail does due to the EP8's lack of power, So i am not a fan of the EP8 motor at all. Plus i have to ride the E2 in Eco to get the same range that the Rail gets in emtb mode. For how i like to ride the Rail is my favourite out of the two.
Oh and i'm out of lockdown tomorrow!! ?

Jagtaguar

Aug 28, 2021
Australia
Hey mate, The Rail for outright speed, torque/power, battery life and range leaves the E2 for dead. The E2 i feel corners slightly better, which i'm putting down to the mullet setup. The E2 is better going downhill and i like the Fox 38's better than the Zeb's on the Rail.
The E2 is quieter and a really nice bike to ride but it just doesn't have the thrill factor that the Rail does due to the EP8's lack of power, So i am not a fan of the EP8 motor at all. Plus i have to ride the E2 in Eco to get the same range that the Rail gets in emtb mode. For how i like to ride the Rail is my favourite out of the two.
Oh and i'm out of lockdown tomorrow!! ?

thanks heaps for the reply - do you ride in their boost (2nd) setting on the EP8?

my biggest concern is exactly what you mentioned; Bosch CX4 just being sooo damn good it’s hard for the other motors to compare

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
thanks heaps for the reply - do you ride in their boost (2nd) setting on the EP8?

my biggest concern is exactly what you mentioned; Bosch CX4 just being sooo damn good it’s hard for the other motors to compare
Yamaha has a new one just out so it will take some months to have enough feedback.

Nato

Jan 10, 2020
Australia

I've played around with the settings a lot in the app and this is what i've settled on. I ride mainly in eco with minimal use of trail and i can just get a 45km ride on the E2. I have ran out of battery 3 times on the E2 so far.

19D6485B-D0D1-4226-B59D-F54B377E9652.png
261E2087-FDFC-41E1-9E70-C7377FA87997.png

After this ride on the Rail yesterday I had 23% battery remaining and was in emtb the entire time. No wonder I’m not a fan of the EP8

85DE7AF6-79AE-40BF-9334-6FCAEC8464E8.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles