Garrigill ( Nr.Alston ) Cumbria 7.5.22. 10.00am meet .

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
You've got to like a climb for this one as it nudges near to the 700m contour ..its a tough old ride ..the outward leg climbs and skirts the side of Cross Fell..Gregs Hut ..dropping steeply down The Screes to Kirkland .
The return from Kirkland climbs steeply to Man at Edge past Megs Cairn on the Maiden Way..and drops to the A686 west of Alston ..where we finish on a minor road back to the start..
You'll need your big boy pants on for this ..so who is up for it ?

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
Hi Richy ..
100% ..we are meeting at 10.00am now in Garrigill village I don't think we will miss each other ..you might well need that piggyback battery this time ..
Look forward to seeing you there 👍

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
It was a good day Mr.Beaker ..but saw that you got out anyway ..👍
Saying that ..if I had one word to sum up the route that word would be " brutal " ...it started well as the steep climb out of Garrigill has been re-surfaced making the climb manageable..but after a short stop to re-group after about 1000ft of climbing.. a conversation about backpacks had Jaco realising that his was keeping the stone wall warm next to where we parked in the village ..which had his wallet & mobile phone in it ..so with the promise that we would wait at Greg's Hut bothy ..off he went to retrieve it !
The re-surfacing work continued to the " Rake End " junction when things started to get interesting in terms of the technicality ramping up ..having got to the Bothy we were soon joined again by Jaco ..seriously the bloke is amazing and if there is a fitter 75yr old out there I've not yet met him ..
The drop down to Kirkland was fantastic ..the definite highlight of the day ..however the climb ( push ) out on The Maiden Way as far as Megs Cairn was definitely pay back for all that fun ..although I enjoyed the wet / boggy but rocky in places descent down the other side just as much as the fast drop to Kirkland ..
Many thanks to Richy, Michael ( good meeting you ) & Drew for taking a leap of faith and travelling a not inconsiderable way to get there ..also Wayne & Jaco my usual riding buddies..
There wasn't too much left in the tank at the end of the ride both bike & rider ..probably just enough to post a few pics before I crash ..
I really don't know the stats for the ride either as my recording paused part way around ..but guesstimate would be in excess of 20miles and approx 4000+ ft of climbing .
L-R Richy ,Michael & Wayne
20220507_111111.jpg

The dot on the horizon is Drew ..
20220507_111133.jpg

After we'd finished gassing we thought we'd better go after him ..
20220507_111304.jpg

Greg's Hut Bothy ..
20220507_115627.jpg

..and Jaco about to join us again ..
20220507_115652.jpg

A happy chappy now that he's re-united with his pack ..
20220507_122133.jpg

In the far distance ..mountains in the Lake District
20220507_122127.jpg

Start of the drop down to the Hartside Road west of Alston on the Maiden Way ..
20220507_122542.jpg

The final splash..
20220507_152926.jpg

Cheers lads 😁

Last edited:

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
@The Hodge ……..a truly brilliant ride out today in perfect conditions. Good to meet up with familiar faces also good to meet Mike.
I’m totally goosed. Thanks Neil for eeking out such a great route. Hopefully ride with you all again soon. Great craic, great company and a throughly great day out in the bikes

Richywalker64

Nov 14, 2020
Hartlepool
Yes it was an excellent day out, was great to catch up again and thanks for organising it and planning the route
It's one of the toughest rides I've done for a while and I'm knackered too

Beaker2135

Subscriber
May 13, 2021
Cumbria
Sounds an epic day. They have been doing the roof at Greggs Hut so I’m not surprised they have improved the road, it’s always boggy up there even at the height of summer
We’ll done to everyone for completing a touch day

mbee123

Jun 5, 2019
Hartlepool
Really enjoyed the ride and meeting such a nice bunch of lads, special thanks to Neil for organising and making me feel so welcome

Some great pics there, will definitely tag along again if you'll have me! Hopefully on a slightly shorter ride as the last 3 mile without battery were not much fun :(

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
It was great to meet you Michael ..and it goes without saying that you will be more than welcome on any future rides ..but yeah that last 3 miles would have been less than welcome after what had gone before ..
Catch up soon 😁

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles