Garmin Explore Battery change: Looking for info

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
I own a Garmin Edge Explore (just Exolore, there is no other number suffix), which is 3 years en 4 months old and the battery is not lasting as long as before. I tried the Power Saving function, but it has a bug that makes the GPS freeze and Garmin support answer is that they do not know how to fix that, so I do not use it. Now I ride with display luminosity at 0%, which means that it is not visible in the dark, but during the day there is no issue with it. But I can only squeeze around 5-6 hours of use. Next step for longer routes would to use a Power Bank and a USB cable to power the GPS after 5-6h.

The other choice is to replace the battery, bit looks like the Edge Explore does not have screws to open it and it is required to remove the display by applying heat and insert a thin tool between display and plastic bezel to take the display out and be able to change the battery.

Has anybody replaced teh battery and can share the experience?

I could not find information of Garmin Explore battery replacement, but Garmin 1030 uses a similar procedure:

STATO

Feb 18, 2020
North
I replaced the battery on a 520. Quite simple, just fiddly. If you feel confident that you can prise it open and have tools to do so and soldering iron for the battery then go for it.

However... I didnt find the replacement battery much better than the aged original battery, perhaps i didnt buy from a good enough brand? Or maybe the software updates on an old model were more battery draining? im not sure, do your research if others have had better luck.

Also, resealing is a faff and you want to get the right sticky tape stuff to ensure it goes back together flush and seals. There are often repair kits around if you look.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles